Restoring a car that has been sitting for 10+ years

Old April 26th 06, 07:05 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default Restoring a car that has been sitting for 10+ years

I have a Cadillac Cimmeron 86. It has been sitting unstarted in a heated
garage since 1992. My guess is that the gas is now dried tar or
something close to it. Aside from putting in a new battery, I imagine I
should somehow clean and drain the gas tank if possible. Any ideas on
this would be greatly appretiated.

--
jerryls
jerryls's Profile: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...?userid=264752

http://www.automotiveforums.com

Old April 26th 06, 09:10 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

jerryls wrote:

> I have a Cadillac Cimmeron 86. It has been sitting unstarted in a heated
> garage since 1992. My guess is that the gas is now dried tar or
> something close to it. Aside from putting in a new battery, I imagine I
> should somehow clean and drain the gas tank if possible. Any ideas on
> this would be greatly appretiated.

Drain and clean the fuel tank, clean all fuel lines, replace fuel
filter. I'd also change the engine oil and filter, remove all the spark
plugs, spray some penetrating oil in the cylinders, and rotate the
engine with the plugs out to make sure the rings aren't seized to the
walls. Drain and flush the cooling system, replace belts and hoses. Even
with all that, odds are that there's been some deterioration while
sitting. If the oil wasn't changed for a long time before it was parked,
acids in the oil may have etched the bearings pretty badly. Any
corrosion on the cylinder walls will abrade the rings and increase oil
consumption, etc.

On the other hand- its a Cadillac Cimarron. The world won't shed tears
if it self-destructs when you start it ;-) (Sorry, couldn't resist).
Old April 26th 06, 10:03 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

And in addition, pay close attention to seals. Some may have dried out
and there's a good chance it will spring a leak somewhere. Also, test
the brake system thoroughly before driving any distance.

Old April 27th 06, 02:16 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

On Wed, 26 Apr 2006 11:05:09 -0700, jerryls
> wrote:

>I have a Cadillac Cimmeron 86. It has been sitting unstarted in a heated
>garage since 1992. My guess is that the gas is now dried tar or
>something close to it. Aside from putting in a new battery, I imagine I
>should somehow clean and drain the gas tank if possible. Any ideas on
>this would be greatly appretiated.

You need to drain the tank and pull it to see what is inside. Many
radiator shops can "boil out" the tank and make it good as new. Change
the sock filter and make sure the lines are clear.

All your belts, hoses and fluids will need to be changed. The brake
master cylinder and wheel cylinders will need to be changed. Good
idea to go ahead and change the rubber lines while you have it apart.
After that many years of sitting there will be damage to those parts
that can result in a catastrophic failure. Don't assume that just
because the brakes work now (if they do) that it is safe.

Steve B.
Old April 29th 06, 08:30 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

jerryls wrote:
> I have a Cadillac Cimmeron 86. It has been sitting unstarted in a
> heated garage since 1992. My guess is that the gas is now dried tar or
> something close to it. Aside from putting in a new battery, I imagine
> I should somehow clean and drain the gas tank if possible. Any ideas
> on this would be greatly appretiated.

Back in 1976 I was working in Scotland. Working with me was a mad New
Zealander who found a Mercedes car which had been abandoned in a back garden
for over 10 years and which was covered in green moss. After changing the
mechanical fuel pump he drove it 15 miles home and treated it to an oil,
brake fluid and tyre change [with used tyres] and a wash before driving it
all the way to Munich in Germany for their beer festival. He drove it for a
few months after that before flying back to NZ and had no serious problem
with it. Oh, and he did change the wiper bleades at some point as I remember
it.
It cost him one small sack of potatoes to buy.

Huw

Old May 3rd 06, 12:35 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

On Mon, 01 May 2006 17:37:11 -0400, Alex Rodriguez >
wrote:

>In article >,
says...

>>I have a Cadillac Cimmeron 86. It has been sitting unstarted in a heated
>>garage since 1992. My guess is that the gas is now dried tar or
>>something close to it. Aside from putting in a new battery, I imagine I
>>should somehow clean and drain the gas tank if possible. Any ideas on
>>this would be greatly appretiated.

>My first question is 'why bother'? These were crappy cars when they were new.

That is a very charitable statment.

>A Chevy cavalier with some added chrome.

Exactly.

Don
www.donsautomotive.com

> I wouldn't waste my time. Best
>bet is try to sell the car to someon who doesn't know any better

Good luck!