Deceptive Car Names Investigated

Old December 31st 10, 12:22 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,rec.autos.makers.chrysler,alt.autos.ford,alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.nissan
Comments4u

Default Deceptive Car Names Investigated

Consumer anger, always shifting, has found a new target. The banking
industry and BP are breathing easier as consumer have returned to their
most consistently selected targer over the years, automakers. As a result
of consumer complaints, the US government is investigating allegations of
deceptive car naming practices.

The initial complaint was made by John Magoo. Mr. Magoo claims he was
searching for the best car on the market, and decided that based on its
name, the Nissan Altima (obviously a play on the word "ultimate") must be
the best. He was highly chagrined to learn after purchase the Altima isn't
even the best Nissan, as Nissan sells another model called the Maxima. But
he turned to the government after the dealer dismissively told him "you
must be blind".

Ford dodged charges of deception with the name Mustang, stating that while
it isn't a horse, it has horsepower under the hood, but is in trouble with
the Focus. "No car focuses light" said US Justice Departement spokesman
Justdon T Getit. "They really need to rename it the Ford Diffuse."

Almost all names used by Chrysler have been judged deceptive. But the
government applied the no harm, no foul policy. Chrysler vehicles just sit
on dealers lots. The government has been uable to location anyone who
actually bought one.

Perhaps the most happy of all automakers is Toyota, which has had plenty of
problems with both consumers and the government over the past few years.
Not only did the did the US government give Toyota names a clean bill of
health, they complimented Toyota for its honesty.

Toyota uses seeming concocted and meaningless names such as Camry, Celica,
Corolla, and Prius. But unknown to most, those words have meanings in
other languages. Camry, in Talagog, means "runaway car" and Celica, in
Swahili, means "wadded up floor mat jams accellerator".
Old December 31st 10, 02:00 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,rec.autos.makers.chrysler,alt.autos.ford,alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.nissan
necromancer[_7_]

On Thu, 30 Dec 2010 19:22:10 -0500, Comments4u

http://worldofnecromancer.org/pics/troll-o-meter.html

--

"New Rule: If you get busted for having sex with a horse...
and then a year and a half later, you decide, you know
Old December 31st 10, 03:27 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,rec.autos.makers.chrysler,alt.autos.ford,alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.nissan
ChrisCoaster

On Dec 30, 9:00*pm, necromancer
<Zidane's_Last_Red_Card@worldofnecromancer_no_spam _no_way.org> wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Dec 2010 19:22:10 -0500, Comments4u
>
> > wrote:
> >Consumer anger, always shifting, has found a new target. *The banking
> >industry and BP are breathing easier as consumer have returned to their
> >most consistently selected targer over the years, automakers. *As a result
> >of consumer complaints, the US government is investigating allegations of
> >deceptive car naming practices.

> http://worldofnecromancer.org/pics/troll-o-meter.html
>
> --
>
> "New Rule: If you get busted for having sex with a horse...
> *and then a year and a half later, you decide, you know
> *what, I'd like to have sex with a horse again......
> *PICK A DIFFERENT HORSE! Play the field, literally! I'm
> *just saying, there are plenty of fish in the sea.
> *Not to give you any ideas."
> * * * * * * * * * * * * * *--Bill Maher

____________________

Also there are plenty of sea horses in the sea, if that so pursuades -
awhh - this whole thread is a waste of bandwidth. LOL!

Deceptive car names - bah humbug! I think Ford trying to rename all
their cars with F names and Mercury with M was a real joke!

-CC
Old December 31st 10, 06:17 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,rec.autos.makers.chrysler,alt.autos.ford,alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.nissan
Joe Pfeiffer

necromancer
<Zidane's_Last_Red_Card@worldofnecromancer_no_spam _no_way.org> writes:

> On Thu, 30 Dec 2010 19:22:10 -0500, Comments4u
> > wrote:
>
>>Consumer anger, always shifting, has found a new target. The banking
>>industry and BP are breathing easier as consumer have returned to their
>>most consistently selected targer over the years, automakers. As a result
>>of consumer complaints, the US government is investigating allegations of
>>deceptive car naming practices.

> http://worldofnecromancer.org/pics/troll-o-meter.html

Seems like this was pretty clearly a deliberate parody, not a real troll.
Old December 31st 10, 01:23 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,rec.autos.makers.chrysler,alt.autos.ford,alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.nissan
DAS[_2_]

<GRIN>

Happy Motoring in 2011!

DAS
--
To reply directly replace 'nospam' with 'schmetterling'

Old December 31st 10, 03:26 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,rec.autos.makers.chrysler,alt.autos.ford,alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.nissan
sctvguy1[_2_]

Yeah, what happened to "Model A/B" or "80", "60"(from the engine's HP).
Old December 31st 10, 06:10 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,rec.autos.makers.chrysler,alt.autos.ford,alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.nissan
GM homepc

On 12/30/2010 6:22 PM, Comments4u wrote:
> Toyota uses seeming concocted and meaningless names such as Camry, Celica,
> Corolla, and Prius. But unknown to most, those words have meanings in
> other languages. Camry, in Talagog, means "runaway car" and Celica, in
> Swahili, means "wadded up floor mat jams accellerator".

Corolla is the name given to the blossom of a flower. Tercel is a small
hawk.
Old December 31st 10, 07:53 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,rec.autos.makers.chrysler,alt.autos.ford,alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.nissan
edward ohare

On Fri, 31 Dec 2010 15:26:45 GMT, sctvguy1 >
wrote:

>On Thu, 30 Dec 2010 19:27:16 -0800, ChrisCoaster wrote:
>
>Yeah, what happened to "Model A/B" or "80", "60"(from the engine's HP).

Yea, that's fine for engineering types or those who want to feel
special because they know the semi-secret code, like Volvo's old 242,
244, 264, etc, Why, even the world's militaries properly market their
products by giving them names.

What sounds better? F/A 18 or Hornet? In fact, they were doing it 70
years ago.

British Hurricanes and Spitfires, US Wildcats and Thunderbolts.

Well, the Germans didn't name their planes. They used things like
Bf109, Me262, etc. Surely not why they lost, but something Mercedes
and BMW ought to think about.

Old December 31st 10, 08:00 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,rec.autos.makers.chrysler,alt.autos.ford,alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.nissan
GM homepc

On 12/31/2010 12:10 PM, GM homepc wrote:
> On 12/30/2010 6:22 PM, Comments4u wrote:
>> Toyota uses seeming concocted and meaningless names such as Camry,
>> Celica,
>> Corolla, and Prius. But unknown to most, those words have meanings in
>> other languages. Camry, in Talagog, means "runaway car" and Celica, in
>> Swahili, means "wadded up floor mat jams accellerator".

> Corolla is the name given to the blossom of a flower. Tercel is a
> small hawk.

prius - Latin, meaning: before, formerely.

The name "Camry" is an Anglicized
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anglicisation> phonetic transcription of
the Japanese word /kanmuri/ (*, かんむり), meaning crown

Celica is ultimately derived from the Latin word coelica meaning
"heavenly" or "celestial"

You have to admit, Toyota is very creative when it comes to naming their
cars.

Old December 31st 10, 08:19 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,rec.autos.makers.chrysler,alt.autos.ford,alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.nissan
Wes[_4_]

On 31/12/2010 4:00 PM, GM homepc wrote:
> On 12/31/2010 12:10 PM, GM homepc wrote:
>> On 12/30/2010 6:22 PM, Comments4u wrote:
>>> Toyota uses seeming concocted and meaningless names such as Camry,
>>> Celica,
>>> Corolla, and Prius. But unknown to most, those words have meanings in
>>> other languages. Camry, in Talagog, means "runaway car" and Celica, in
>>> Swahili, means "wadded up floor mat jams accellerator".

>> Corolla is the name given to the blossom of a flower. Tercel is a
>> small hawk.

> prius - Latin, meaning: before, formerely.
>
> The name "Camry" is an Anglicized
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anglicisation> phonetic transcription of
> the Japanese word /kanmuri/ (*, かんむり), meaning crown
>
> Celica is ultimately derived from the Latin word coelica meaning
> "heavenly" or "celestial"
>

> You have to admit, Toyota is very creative when it comes to naming their
> cars.

Like "Land Cruiser", "Pickup Truck" and "Toyota Van"? I guess the really
creative guys were off sick when they brain stormed those deeply
meaningful monikers.... :-)