Restoring stock seat upholstery

Old July 23rd 06, 05:53 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Steve Pankow

Default Restoring stock seat upholstery

I have a '91 CRX HF and I'm beginning to get some small tears along the
outside of the driver's side bolsters. Is getting the seat restored to
"original" condition even worth it, or should it just be redone with
more modern fabrics in the same color scheme? Or do I totally cheap out
and get a seat cover?

Old July 23rd 06, 04:17 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Dan Beaton

I have a 93 Del Sol and the driver's seat has a tear on the outside
of the bolster. Most Del Sol seats wear out at that point.

I have been unable to find original fabric to recover them. I have
considered getting used seats and taking the fabric from the passenger's
seat and putting it on the driver's seat. I have also considered putting
a 'patch' on the wear spot, using a high grade vinyl. This would be
like leather patches on the elbows of a sweater. To get it to look
right, I would need to have mirror image patches done on both seats.

There are some higher quality seat covers that replace the original
upholstery. I have seen used versions of this kind of thing for sale
on eBay but in dreadful condition, so I wonder how long they last.
Dan

(This account is not used for email.)

Old July 24th 06, 05:16 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Keith Loyd

If you want to spend a little money, these guys have excellent leather
coverings that actually fit. Car and Driver talked about them once, and I
have seen some old BMW's with these seat covers that looked really nice. I
do not see CRX seats in their list, but they can probably arrange it. Look
over the installation instructions though, there's more to these than just
tugging an old tshirt over your seat like some hippy in a vw bug van.

http://www.katzkin.com/05/FC/mainFS.html

Old July 25th 06, 05:00 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Steve Pankow

I'm surprised by the lack of feedback on this. Are there no other
vintage Honda owners with seat problems?

Old July 25th 06, 05:28 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam[_1_]

Steve Pankow wrote:
> I'm surprised by the lack of feedback on this. Are there no other
> vintage Honda owners with seat problems?

of course there are, but what kind of answer do you want? it's entirely
subjective.
Old July 25th 06, 06:04 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Steve Pankow

Well, I'm interested in hearing how people took care of it so that I can
get a better perspective on my options.