1993-1999 VW odometer roll over

Old July 13th 06, 11:32 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
[email protected]

Default 1993-1999 VW odometer roll over

Looking for written documentation from a manual or something which
indicates that the odometer on a 1997 Jetta sold in Canada, built in
Mexico I believe, roll over to 0 at 300,000 kilometers.
VW North America will not provide the specifications for their
equipment.
I purchased a 1997 diesel Jetta in April which was advertised on eBay
as having only 90,000km while in fact it really has 390,000km.
This is a clear act of fraud.
The third party insurance provided by eBay motors say they will honour
the claim if I can provide documentation.
Help
Frank

Old July 14th 06, 08:49 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Keith Loyd

Default 1993-1999 VW odometer roll over - another explanation

Frank,

I discovered about a year ago that digital odometers are easier to roll back
than the old ones. (You can tell mine is honest because it says 180k) It
turns out Germany allows odometer tampering "for testing purposes", so there
are websites that offer for $30-100 to have you mail your instrument cluster
to them and they will send it back with mileage of your choosing. If you
haven't done this already, maybe you could have a clever mechanic check and
see if the instrument cluster has been removed/fooled around with?

I too am curious about whether odometers that use miles instead of km turn
over at 300k or ~186k, since my car can toggle back and forth.

ups.com...