starting problem

Old July 26th 06, 10:30 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
steve

Default starting problem

MY GJC laredo 93, awd, automatic eight cylinder. Finally gave me the
slip last night. I got into it and when I rotated the key to start it
there was no resistance at all while the cylinder freely rotated to its
farthest position Normally there is resistance when you turn the key.
I had problems with an intermittent start to that point but though it
was the battery, but battery was always strong.
So I got past the tamper proof screw learning curve and removed the key
cylinder (on steering column) along with the square box that it is
attached to and noticed that the sliding plate that is actuated by the
cylinder key rod (lack of better term) that slides along the steering
column is just sliding freely, not providing any resistance at all
either. I assume that the sliding plate performs the function of
triggering the different positions on the ignition switch? (ignition
switch attached lower down the steering column?) Also I am assuming
that for what ever reason that sliding plate is attached to something
between it and the ignition switch or the ignition switch itself which
is the resistance I am suppose to feel when I turn the tumbler. For
clarification I have a picture at http://jennec.com/chrysler/index.htm
Please copy and paste the link "as is" into your browser to get to the
page.
My question is: Shall I go deeper and replace the ignition switch or
have I got another problem between that plate and the ignition switch
lower down the steering column Thankyou for what ever help you can
give me
steve