Radiator Resevoir Filled With Grey Gunk...

Old March 28th 06, 01:19 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default Radiator Resevoir Filled With Grey Gunk...

If a radiator fill resevoir is filled with grey foam-looking gunk, does
that mean oil is mixing with the coolant? This car does not have a
radiator cap.
This is on a 95 Saturn sedan.
Will a flush fix the problem, or will it keep happening?

-supa

Old March 28th 06, 02:33 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

"supafly" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> If a radiator fill resevoir is filled with grey foam-looking gunk, does
> that mean oil is mixing with the coolant? This car does not have a
> radiator cap.
> This is on a 95 Saturn sedan.
> Will a flush fix the problem, or will it keep happening?

If that is oil in the overflow reservoir, then the problems are more than
a flush will correct.

Every radiator that I have ever seen had a removal cap of some sort
or another. Maybe I just haven't seen one like yours, I guess.

Oil in the radiator can come from a leak from the automatic transmission
cooler or from a leaking gasket, or crack, in the engine head area.

Old March 28th 06, 03:13 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Many of the newer cars do NOT have radiator caps. There is a pressure
cap, but it's not always on the radiator these days.
It does sound like the poster has a serious problem. If it's
transmission oil from a leaky cooler, he could flush the transmission
and fix the leak and have a chance of saving the transmission. If it's
engine oil, he's in for a teardown there and a flush will not help.

Old March 28th 06, 05:05 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

"Al Bundy" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Many of the newer cars do NOT have radiator caps. There is a pressure
> cap, but it's not always on the radiator these days.
> It does sound like the poster has a serious problem. If it's
> transmission oil from a leaky cooler, he could flush the transmission
> and fix the leak and have a chance of saving the transmission. If it's

Agreed all above. Every radiator I have seen has had some sort of cap,
but I am not exposed to as many variants as I once was.

Old March 28th 06, 06:18 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Have you had the vehicle in for 'service' lately? One trick sleaze bag
shops do is to pour some oil in the overflow tank to imply you need
serious work like a flush, then when that doesn't 'work', a new head
gasket, etc... That is especially sneaky on the closed systems where
you can't check inside the rad itself....

I would clean the gunk out and then see if it comes back. It doesn't
sound like you are losing coolant which could be a sign of head gasket
issues.

I would be checking the engine oil and the tranny oil carefully to see
if it looks milky or frothy. Water will make a milkshake looking oil.
It will collect on the dipstick and on the engine oil cap.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old March 28th 06, 06:34 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

If a cyl compression test shows good, then the problem would have to be
related to transmission, right? (Supposing this thing has a
transmission cooler--I'll have to check and see.)

The transmission has been acting up... hmmm

Old March 28th 06, 11:07 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

> wrote:

> "Al Bundy" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> > Many of the newer cars do NOT have radiator caps. There is a
> > pressure cap, but it's not always on the radiator these days.
> > It does sound like the poster has a serious problem. If it's
> > transmission oil from a leaky cooler, he could flush the
> > transmission and fix the leak and have a chance of saving the
> > transmission. If it's

> Agreed all above. Every radiator I have seen has had some sort of
> cap, but I am not exposed to as many variants as I once was.

The '86-'89 Toyota MR2 radiator does not have a cap. The pressure cap
is at the other end of the vehicle.
Old April 13th 06, 02:35 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default Radiator Reservoir Filled With Grey Gunk...

a gray-looking "gunk" might be an over abundance of radiator stop leak
in the system, just

might be, and / or oil that has tried to mix with the radiator coolant.

mho
vfe

Old April 13th 06, 03:11 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

on an aside, many radiators are 'sealed" systems, where the radiator
itself no longer has a cap, but uses a stand-off reservoir instead. My
'89 Eagle has no radiator cap, so the newer "sealed" systems go back at
least around 15-16 years now.

However, almost ALL radiators have a drain plug at the bottom of the
radiator, that may be what's confusing some of the prob. being spoken
of.

Re the original prob., are you losing oil or trans. fluid? Are you
checking those levels to see if they dropping more than normal for your
ride?

In any case, flush the cooling system!!!!! Even if there is a leak, no
sense in wasting your cooling system in the process!!!!

--
Knifeblade_03
Knifeblade_03's Profile: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...?userid=262826

http://www.automotiveforums.com