chevy cavalier theft system

Old January 14th 06, 02:14 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default chevy cavalier theft system

I changed the ignition switch in my 96 cavalier and sometimes when you go
to start it it wont start, the theft system light will come on.or when its
running it will shut off and you have to give it a while then it will
start. but you cant hear the fuel pump kick on when you try to start it, i
was wandering if there was a relay switch that you would have to push.

Old January 14th 06, 02:23 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

There are four different components to the passlock lock cylinder, Actuator
assy, lock cylinder,preload spring, and switch assembly. What part did you
replace? New or from a junk yard? The four components probably aren't
interlocking correctly or were not installed correctly. Why was it replaced
to start with? Worn Key?

lkaboutautos.com...

Old January 15th 06, 03:50 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

I changed the whole swithch assembaly, i had another cavalier that i got
the switch out of, the reason i changed it was because it was wore out,
the switch wouldnt turn over. but when i changed them i had to cut the
original wires and splice the others into it, because they didnt have plug
ins. i was wondering just because if it was a diffrent year car that i
got it out of the computer wouldnt reconize it, it was only off maybe a
year. i appreciate the help. thanks

Old January 15th 06, 02:26 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

In article
outautos.com>,
"orangehondarider" > wrote:

> I changed the whole swithch assembaly, i had another cavalier that i got
> the switch out of, the reason i changed it was because it was wore out,
> the switch wouldnt turn over. but when i changed them i had to cut the
> original wires and splice the others into it, because they didnt have plug
> ins.

This makes no sense. ALL GM ignition switches have plugs that
connect them to the electrical harness, they may snake down to
the under dash area but they are there.

> i was wondering just because if it was a diffrent year car that i
> got it out of the computer wouldnt reconize it, it was only off maybe a
> year. i appreciate the help. thanks

The different year doner car could very well be missing some
anti-theft components if it was older than your car.
It also possible that you're just suffering a coincidental
failure of the passlock sensor at the ignition switch, or that
you mangled the passlock sensor when you made the repair.
Old January 15th 06, 04:20 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

you said there was a chance that there could be a failure of the passlock
sensor, is there a way to check or change the sensor, or do i have to
change the whole switch, the doner car was either the same or one year
newer.could you tell me where to look for the passlock sensor. i
appreciate it. thanks

Old January 15th 06, 11:41 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

I suggest you try to find a service manual so you can read and understand
how the passlock system works. It sounds like you have damaged it to the
point you may have to get all four components to restore it. Parts of it go
in both sides of the column and cutting/splicing wires can really create
problems. It is possible if the original lock wouldn't turn a little lock
eeze would have fixed it as the tumblers were probably just stiff...

Old January 16th 06, 02:47 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

could you somehow explain how to change a passlock sensor, i think that it
is in the switch itself, but not sure. is it hard? thanks

Old January 23rd 06, 01:43 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default honda accord windshield

would anyone know if a 1988 honda accord 4-door windshield is the same as a
1989 honda accord 2-door. thanks for the help

Old January 27th 06, 03:27 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

I don't know about 96 Cavalier, but here's a quick, easy, free thing I
learned for my '99 Suburban (it would start - then shut-off) that worked.
After spending 4 days of my vacation getting my car repaired, including all
of the electronics in the steering wheel. It turned out to be the security
system detecting that my car key was 'fake' thus someone must be stealing
the car. Since it has to do with anti-theft, Chilton's and other manuals
didn't even discuss it. However www.autosite.com did provide some useful
info... and along with the following tip from the parts store guy the
Suburban finally would start every time:

Here's what I did that worked:

Set the ignition key switch to accessory - the electronics are ON in the
car, then remove the negative terminal from the car battery for a few
minutes. Then, turn the to OFF, hook up the battery and you're done! As it
was explained to me, this causes the car to erase its memory, so it has to
re-learn the car key. This worked when all the steering wheel repairs and
everything else didn't.

By the way, the anti-theft stuff was confused because I plugged a GPS
receiver into the cigarette lighter, and the GPS had a battery in it. This
slightly changed the voltage sensed by the anti-theft device - causing it to
think my car key was a 'fake'... Removing the GPS didn't help at that
point.

Good luck,

Tom

Old February 20th 06, 12:54 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

I also have a 1996 Cavalier, the tumblers froze up in the ignition so
it would not turn at all. We purchased a used ignition and a friend
installed it into the car. Now the car will start but will not stay
running. We tried the thing with turning the ignition on and unhooking
the battery cables. It did not work. Is there anything thing else short
of taking it and (being taken by) the dealer? The car is in excellent
condition and runs excellent, it is worth the bother. Please help if
you can. Thank you.