Tegger's latest oil consumption test

Old February 22nd 08, 11:17 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger

Default Tegger's latest oil consumption test

As regulars here will know, I keep very close tabs on my oil consumption,
trying to make the observation as close to a science as possible.

My latest test period (ended today) reveals consumption of 2,150 miles per
US quart.

Thus far in my record keeping:
1,500 mi/qt at 295,417 miles;
1,800 mi/qt at 296,494 miles;
2,500 mi/qt from 296,919 to 297,919;
2,150 mi/qt from 298,032 to 299,184.

It's been roughly 1,500-2,000 mi/qt for a few years now, but lately I've
decided to keep much more exacting records in an attempt at determining
consumption more precisely, and for spotting any trends or correlations. I
decided to do this after experiencing a few apparent episodes of alarmingly
high oil usage the summer before last.

I have discovered there is a direct relationship between how hard I drive
and the oil consumption. The higher the revs, the greater the throttle
openings used, the higher the oil consumption. This is, it has been
explained to me, a sign of a well-worn engine.

As a contrast, our Toyota Tercel has 90,000 miles on it. Normally it uses
no discernible oil between 2,500 mile oil changes. Last summer we passed
through the hills of Pennsylvania, all the way across PA to VA and DC. That
little engine therefore spent much of its time at full-throttle and high
revs, attempting not to lose speed on very long upward grades on the
Interstates. During that entire trip, the car used something around 1/8 or
1/4 of a quart in something like 1,000 miles. It would appear that even
new-ish engines with good rings are still prone to higher oil usage under
extended heavy load.

--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old February 23rd 08, 07:11 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam

Tegger wrote:
> As regulars here will know, I keep very close tabs on my oil consumption,
> trying to make the observation as close to a science as possible.
>
> My latest test period (ended today) reveals consumption of 2,150 miles per
> US quart.
>
> Thus far in my record keeping:
> 1,500 mi/qt at 295,417 miles;
> 1,800 mi/qt at 296,494 miles;
> 2,500 mi/qt from 296,919 to 297,919;
> 2,150 mi/qt from 298,032 to 299,184.
>
> It's been roughly 1,500-2,000 mi/qt for a few years now, but lately I've
> decided to keep much more exacting records in an attempt at determining
> consumption more precisely, and for spotting any trends or correlations. I
> decided to do this after experiencing a few apparent episodes of alarmingly
> high oil usage the summer before last.
>
> I have discovered there is a direct relationship between how hard I drive
> and the oil consumption. The higher the revs, the greater the throttle
> openings used, the higher the oil consumption. This is, it has been
> explained to me, a sign of a well-worn engine.
>
> As a contrast, our Toyota Tercel has 90,000 miles on it. Normally it uses
> no discernible oil between 2,500 mile oil changes. Last summer we passed
> through the hills of Pennsylvania, all the way across PA to VA and DC. That
> little engine therefore spent much of its time at full-throttle and high
> revs, attempting not to lose speed on very long upward grades on the
> Interstates. During that entire trip, the car used something around 1/8 or
> 1/4 of a quart in something like 1,000 miles. It would appear that even
> new-ish engines with good rings are still prone to higher oil usage under
> extended heavy load.

entirely to be expected. increasing load raises operating temperatures
and thus burn-off. use of a quality oil with a lower light fraction
will reduce burn-off rate as well.
Old February 24th 08, 09:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger

jim beam > wrote in
t:

> entirely to be expected. increasing load raises operating
> temperatures and thus burn-off. use of a quality oil with a lower
> light fraction will reduce burn-off rate as well.

I got your email and I see your point, but I've been using Mobil 1 for well
over a year now. If burn-off was a problem, I'd think I would have expected
to see immediate improvement in oil consumption within the first or second
oil change ( I change it every two months or so).

Old February 25th 08, 03:08 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Frank Boettcher

On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 23:17:47 +0000 (UTC), Tegger >
wrote:

>As regulars here will know, I keep very close tabs on my oil consumption,
>trying to make the observation as close to a science as possible.
>
>My latest test period (ended today) reveals consumption of 2,150 miles per
>US quart.

Curious as to whether it is all burn, no leak.

Frank
Old February 25th 08, 10:07 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger

Frank Boettcher > wrote in
:

> On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 23:17:47 +0000 (UTC), Tegger >
> wrote:
>
>>As regulars here will know, I keep very close tabs on my oil
>>consumption, trying to make the observation as close to a science as
>>possible.
>>
>>My latest test period (ended today) reveals consumption of 2,150 miles
>>per US quart.
>>

> Curious as to whether it is all burn, no leak.

All burn.

The car doesn't leak a single drop.

Old February 27th 08, 06:44 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Frank Boettcher

:

>> On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 23:17:47 +0000 (UTC), Tegger >
>> wrote:
>>
>>>As regulars here will know, I keep very close tabs on my oil
>>>consumption, trying to make the observation as close to a science as
>>>possible.
>>>
>>>My latest test period (ended today) reveals consumption of 2,150 miles
>>>per US quart.
>>>

>> Curious as to whether it is all burn, no leak.
>>

>All burn.
>
>The car doesn't leak a single drop.

That's pretty good. Seals been replaced? How often?

I've got a '90 and at 185K just starting to burn a very little, just
starting to leak a very little.

Got a 97 pushing 200K, leaks something awful. It is set for
replacement, gave it to my son 6 years ago, he wants a new Fit for his
daily commute.

Frank
Old February 28th 08, 12:28 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger

Frank Boettcher > wrote in
:

> On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 22:07:52 +0000 (UTC), Tegger >
> wrote:
>
>>Frank Boettcher > wrote in
m:

>>> Curious as to whether it is all burn, no leak.
>>>

>>All burn.
>>
>>The car doesn't leak a single drop.

> That's pretty good. Seals been replaced? How often?

All the original front seals were replaced at the car's second timing
belt change. We're going back a few years here. One of the cam seals was
weeping a bit, the other two were fine. I learned later that in the early
'90s there was a TSB out on my car having to do with leaky camshaft oil
seals.

The rear main seal was replaced at 255,000 miles when the clutch was
changed. The old seal was not leaking, amazingly enough.

The exhaust cam seal was replaced maybe five-seven years ago. This is
the big plug that is notorious for leaking.

The distributor O-ring is original and is not leaking.

> I've got a '90 and at 185K just starting to burn a very little, just
> starting to leak a very little.
>
> Got a 97 pushing 200K, leaks something awful. It is set for
> replacement, gave it to my son 6 years ago, he wants a new Fit for his
> daily commute.

I am convinced that very frequent oil changes stave off seal leakage. I
change my oil every two months or 2,500 miles. No matter what.

My mechanic explained to me that modern oil seals generally leak not
because they wear out or harden, but because they develop tiny surface
cracks. Acid etching and poor lubrication from old oil lead to the hairline
tears.

I have another timing belt change coming up this spring. All the seals are
getting replaced again, just in case.

Today's mileage: 299,406! Getting closer!

Old February 28th 08, 02:00 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Flatlander

On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 21:20:44 +0000 (UTC), Tegger >
wrote:

>jim beam > wrote in
et:

>> entirely to be expected. increasing load raises operating
>> temperatures and thus burn-off. use of a quality oil with a lower
>> light fraction will reduce burn-off rate as well.

>I got your email and I see your point, but I've been using Mobil 1 for well
>over a year now. If burn-off was a problem, I'd think I would have expected
>to see immediate improvement in oil consumption within the first or second
>oil change ( I change it every two months or so).

It would be interesting to see what effect all the variables have on
this. I have an '87 CRX automatic that has never had any seals
replaced other than for the timing belt change. 147K miles on the
car. If it uses even 1/8 of a quart between changes, which vary from
2000-3000 miles, I don't remember it. This with regular 10W-40 oil.
I've actually been a bit suspicious at the lack of oil usage, this
being a carbureted engine in a sometimes cold climate and all.

I have never had a Honda that used any oil. On the other hand, I have
never had a non-Honda (mostly GM products years ago) that DIDN'T use
at least half a quart between changes.
Old February 28th 08, 02:14 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Grumpy AuContraire

Tegger wrote:

> I have another timing belt change coming up this spring. All the seals are
> getting replaced again, just in case.
>
> Today's mileage: 299,406! Getting closer!

That's quite an acomplishment for living in the rust belt...

JT

Old February 29th 08, 12:14 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger

Grumpy AuContraire > wrote in
:

> Tegger wrote:
>

>> I have another timing belt change coming up this spring. All the
>> seals are getting replaced again, just in case.
>>
>> Today's mileage: 299,406! Getting closer!
>>

> That's quite an acomplishment for living in the rust belt...
>
> JT

Keeping the /body/ alive is the real accomplishment!