Parking ticket

Old February 11th 05, 11:16 PM

Default Parking ticket

I got a parking ticket, for, of all things, backing into a parking spot
in public metered parking (Michigan). It's a small fine, but it seems
like such a rediculous offense. The model year of my car is listed
incorrectly; could I get out of it for this reason?

I know it would be easy enough to pay, but I have a tendancy to fight
things like this.

Old February 15th 05, 08:32 PM
Dick Adams

> I got a parking ticket, for, of all things, backing into a parking spot
> in public metered parking (Michigan). It's a small fine, but it seems
> like such a rediculous offense. The model year of my car is listed
> incorrectly; could I get out of it for this reason?

Do I understand you correctly: You received a citation for backing
into a parking spot instead pulling in head first? This sounds
like a local ordinance. I'd call and ask why cars must be parked
head first. There needs to be a reason.

You can argue that the model year is incorrect, but judges are not
stupid.

> I know it would be easy enough to pay, but I have a tendancy to fight
> things like this.

That is known as The Don Quixote Syndrome. <G>

Dick -- My brother is an attorney, but my sister threatened
to beat me if I told anyone.

Old February 15th 05, 08:32 PM
Paul

> wrote in message
> I got a parking ticket, for, of all things, backing into a parking

spot
> in public metered parking (Michigan). It's a small fine, but it

seems
> like such a rediculous offense. The model year of my car is listed
> incorrectly; could I get out of it for this reason?

I've seen those in Savannah, GA from time to time where you can't
(legally) back into a parking space in a public lot among other SFB laws
that exist (maybe because they want the car's license tag to be
visible?) and then they wonder why everyone with 1/2 a brain is
abandoning the cities in favor of the suburbs and their malls... I
agree, it has to be the stupidest rule I've ever heard of and if the
police have time to enforce a law like this, then your city has *way* to
many revenue officers..... errrrrrr....... police officers on its force
with *way* too much time on their hands... You probablly could get out
of it on the technicality as the revenue officer wrote the ticket for a
vehicle that is not yours...

> I know it would be easy enough to pay, but I have a tendancy to fight
> things like this.

We need more people like you who are willing to fight SFB laws like this
one...

Old February 17th 05, 11:50 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005, Dick Adams wrote:

> Do I understand you correctly: You received a citation for backing into
> a parking spot instead pulling in head first? This sounds like a local
> ordinance. I'd call and ask why cars must be parked head first. There
> needs to be a reason.

The only reason necessary to make the ticket stick is "Because that's the
law."

Of course, a legal challenge to get the law struck down would require
there to be a reason that the authorities consider valid (or perhaps
"plausible enough to fly"). But that's not the same question.

Old February 17th 05, 11:53 PM
Stan Brown

"Paul" wrote in misc.legal.moderated:
>I've seen those in Savannah, GA from time to time where you can't
>(legally) back into a parking space in a public lot ... I
>agree, it has to be the stupidest rule I've ever heard of

Does it? The OP did not tell us details, but if the parking is
angle parking then backing in is quite hazardous because it points
your car against the flow of traffic.

I have also seen "front in only" signs where there are ornamental
plantings just over the curb and auto exhausts from backing in
would harm the plants. Granted, it's stupid to put delicate plants
in that situation, but given that the plants are there the
restriction seems not unreasonable.

--
If you e-mail me from a fake address, your fingers will drop off.

I am not a lawyer; this is not legal advice. When you read anything
legal on the net, always verify it on your own, in light of your
particular circumstances. You may also need to consult a lawyer.

http://OakRoadSystems.com

Old February 17th 05, 11:53 PM
Alex Rodriguez

>> I got a parking ticket, for, of all things, backing into a parking spot
>> in public metered parking (Michigan). It's a small fine, but it seems
>> like such a rediculous offense. The model year of my car is listed
>> incorrectly; could I get out of it for this reason?

In NYC that would get the ticket tossed. If the ticket agent is too stupid to
copy information correctly, they probably can't tell when you are legally
parked.
Alex