97 Cabrio Shift Linkage

Old October 6th 04, 01:29 AM
Scott Metzger

Default 97 Cabrio Shift Linkage

Hi,

I am having problems adjusting the shift linkage on my 97 Cabrio A3 with
a 020 shift linkage.

I don't have the special tool. I have seen passing references to a way
to adjust the linkage with the skinny side of a cassette or by putting
it in 5th gear. However, I haven't been able to come accross a
detailed step by step explanation.

Also, the tech bulletin I found he
http://volkswagen.msk.ru/transmission/mt_service.pdf mentions making the
linkage adjustment underneath the car, and it doesn't show a linkage
adjustment on the selector lever. However, my Hayne's book has an
adjustment on the selector lever. I tried adjusting the linkage using
the Hayne's method but wasn't able to make any improvements. I have not
looked under the car yet to see if my linkage does have the shift rod
clamp. The tech bulletin says...

The part in the service bulletin I am having trouble understanding is...
"2) Remove gear selector knob and boot. Position Adjustment
Gauge (3104) over shift rod. See Fig. 6. With transaxle in Neutral,
align shift rod with selector lever. Tighten shifter rod clamp to 19
ft. lbs. (26 N.m)."

What does it mean by "...align shift rod with selector lever."?

Thank You,
Scott Metzger

'77 Rabbit
'86 Jetta (last of the German builts)
'97 Cabrio

Old October 6th 04, 03:58 AM
Roger Brown

Scott Metzger wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am having problems adjusting the shift linkage on my 97 Cabrio A3 with
> a 020 shift linkage.
>
> I don't have the special tool. I have seen passing references to a way
> to adjust the linkage with the skinny side of a cassette or by putting
> it in 5th gear. However, I haven't been able to come accross a
> detailed step by step explanation.
>
> Also, the tech bulletin I found he
> http://volkswagen.msk.ru/transmission/mt_service.pdf mentions making the
> linkage adjustment underneath the car, and it doesn't show a linkage
> adjustment on the selector lever. However, my Hayne's book has an
> adjustment on the selector lever. I tried adjusting the linkage using
> the Hayne's method but wasn't able to make any improvements. I have not
> looked under the car yet to see if my linkage does have the shift rod
> clamp. The tech bulletin says...
>
> The part in the service bulletin I am having trouble understanding is...
> "2) Remove gear selector knob and boot. Position Adjustment
> Gauge (3104) over shift rod. See Fig. 6. With transaxle in Neutral,
> align shift rod with selector lever. Tighten shifter rod clamp to 19
> ft. lbs. (26 N.m)."
>
> What does it mean by "...align shift rod with selector lever."?
>
> Thank You,
> Scott Metzger
>
> '77 Rabbit
> '86 Jetta (last of the German builts)