I have 6 years old car (Honda accord), cheque engine light on, what was the reason?

Old November 6th 04, 04:53 PM
Santa

Default I have 6 years old car (Honda accord), cheque engine light on, what was the reason?

My 6 year old Honda Accord getting "Cheque engine" light on, does
anybody have any idea, what will be the reason, I am getting this
since last two months, so far no problem, I took it to my dealer, he
said they don't have computer diagnostic facility, he referred me to
some other place, they charges $100 bucks for that. Any idea?. Thanks
in advance.
Old November 6th 04, 05:11 PM
Caroline

Take it to an Autozone store. They should read what the code is that
caused the "Check Engine Light" to come on for no charge.

Other discount auto parts stores often offer the same, free service.
E.g. maybe Checker and Carquest.

"Santa" > wrote

Old November 6th 04, 07:23 PM
Delpie

My check engine light turned out to be an O2 Sensor

1994 Integra 200,000 miles
Old November 7th 04, 02:27 PM
Santa

I did check the gas cap, gas cap was very tight. any other clues?. Thanks.
Old November 7th 04, 02:42 PM
BBTACO

Is it the V6? Honda has an extended warranty on the emissions system for
the 98 and 99 year Accord V6 (80,000 miles or 8 years) on the egr valve and
unplugging a port in the intake manifold that gets clogged up with carbon.
If you have an Autozone store near you. They will read the code that is
stored for free.
m...

Old November 7th 04, 10:20 PM
Rick

Not just the V6.....Honda replaced the catalytic converter on my 99 Accord
EX 4 cyl under this 8 year/80,000 mile emission extended warranty. The
check engine light code was P204 I believe.

Old November 9th 04, 02:43 PM
Nick

It appears that you still have not done what another previous poster
stated. You need to reset you check engine light and see if the light
comes back on again. To do this, disconnect the battery for about a
minute and then re-conect. If this is an EX model, you will need to
have the radio code handy otherwise your radio will not work after you
do this.

Also for $100, the cost of the place you were referring to, you can
buy the actual scanner for that price at PepBoys or Autozone.

Nick

Old November 9th 04, 02:57 PM
Santa

Guys:

I took my car to autozone, they read my code P1457, when they enter
this code, their computer says, unavailable data. They don't know what
is this code, thay says, might be some air in the gas pipe. After that
they erased this code, now I can't see this "check engine" light. If I
take it to inspection, whether those guys can easily read this code by
doing emission test right?.

But anybody have any idea, what is that code?. thanks.
Old November 9th 04, 04:13 PM
Caroline

Googling for {P1457 code Honda} yields a number of hits that say for a
1998 Honda this is an Evaporative Emission Control System Leak
Detected (Control Canister System). See for example
http://autorepair.about.com/cs/troub.../bl_obd_14.htm

Like John Ings said, this apparently can be set off by simply a loose
gas cap. See for example http://www.all-acura.com/ftopict-689.html

But it could be other things.

I'm surprised the dealer couldn't diagnose this. My understanding is
they get a lot of people coming in with Check Engine Lights and the
cause is simply a loose gas cap.

Check your owner's manual for the proper way to tighten the gas cap. I
know you said you tightened it properly, but if the light does not
come back, then I wouldn't sweat this.

Remember, the CEL won't go off just because you corrected the
condition. You have to reset the computer to get the light off. You
should be able to do this by disconnecting the battery's negative
terminal wire, as others here have said. Check your owner's manual for
this.

"Santa" > wrote