Spark plugs

Old February 21st 08, 03:18 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Fijoy George

Default Spark plugs

Hi all,

I live in Baltimore, MD, and I recently had to take my 1991 Honda Accord DX
to a mechanic because the car did not pass the NOx emissions test. I had the
emission mechanic do a fuel system service and replace the catalytic
converter, and the car passed the test.

Now, the emission mechanic also recommended that the spark plugs be
replaced. According to this emission mechanic, the current spark plugs in my
car are American made, and these plugs are not compatible with the Asian
vehicle. He claimed that this incompatibility is causing higher temperatures
inside the engine. I refused to replace the spark plugs because they were
installed 8 months ago (when I lived in IN) by a trusted mechanic. I wonder
if I did the right thing. Should I take the advice of the emission mechanic
seriously? Will the current spark plugs cuase any damage to the engine?

Thank you very much for any advice.

Fijoy

Old February 21st 08, 07:15 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
[email protected]

On Feb 21, 10:18 am, "Fijoy George" > wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I live in Baltimore, MD, and I recently had to take my 1991 Honda Accord DX
> to a mechanic because the car did not pass the NOx emissions test. I had the
> emission mechanic do a fuel system service and replace the catalytic
> converter, and the car passed the test.
>
> Now, the emission mechanic also recommended that the spark plugs be
> replaced. According to this emission mechanic, the current spark plugs in my
> car are American made, and these plugs are not compatible with the Asian
> vehicle. He claimed that this incompatibility is causing higher temperatures
> inside the engine. I refused to replace the spark plugs because they were
> installed 8 months ago (when I lived in IN) by a trusted mechanic. I wonder
> if I did the right thing. Should I take the advice of the emission mechanic
> seriously? Will the current spark plugs cuase any damage to the engine?
>
> Thank you very much for any advice.
>
> Fijoy

That emission mechanic was right. For your Honda, it's NGK! It's not
about the brand names or American vs Jap. It's the plugs heat range
ratings that are different from one manufacturer to another. If you
want to use Bosch or Autolite or Champion plugs, make sure you use a
good cross reference chart. But why would you bother with that?

As for heat range, if you don't know the correct heat range specified
for your engine, it's advised to err on the safe side. That is, to use
colder plugs. Hotter plugs can cause severe engine damages. And just
for kicks, try google ""hotter plugs" NOx"

That trusted mechanic in IN was a complete moron..
Old February 21st 08, 11:49 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger

"Fijoy George" > wrote in
:

> Hi all,
>
> I live in Baltimore, MD, and I recently had to take my 1991 Honda
> Accord DX to a mechanic because the car did not pass the NOx emissions
> test. I had the emission mechanic do a fuel system service and replace
> the catalytic converter, and the car passed the test.
>
> Now, the emission mechanic also recommended that the spark plugs be
> replaced. According to this emission mechanic, the current spark plugs
> in my car are American made, and these plugs are not compatible with
> the Asian vehicle. He claimed that this incompatibility is causing
> higher temperatures inside the engine. I refused to replace the spark
> plugs because they were installed 8 months ago (when I lived in IN) by
> a trusted mechanic. I wonder if I did the right thing. Should I take
> the advice of the emission mechanic seriously? Will the current spark
> plugs cuase any damage to the engine?

If the plugs are causing "higher temperatures inside the engine", it would
have to do with the heat range of the plugs, not the plugs themselves. It
is possible the non-OEM plugs are the wrong heat range and that there is no
correct heat range available in that brand.

No damage is likely with the existing plugs, but there have been many
reports of non-OEM plugs causing poor driveability.

If the car is running fine and has acceptable emissions results, leave the
old plugs in for now and replace them with the correct NGK or ND at the
next specified change interval.

If the car is exhibiting driveability problems and there are no other
obvious culprits, replace the plugs with the correct NGK or ND right now.

--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old February 22nd 08, 12:57 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Bob Jones

"Tegger" > wrote in message
> "Fijoy George" > wrote in
> :
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I live in Baltimore, MD, and I recently had to take my 1991 Honda
>> Accord DX to a mechanic because the car did not pass the NOx emissions
>> test. I had the emission mechanic do a fuel system service and replace
>> the catalytic converter, and the car passed the test.
>>
>> Now, the emission mechanic also recommended that the spark plugs be
>> replaced. According to this emission mechanic, the current spark plugs
>> in my car are American made, and these plugs are not compatible with
>> the Asian vehicle. He claimed that this incompatibility is causing
>> higher temperatures inside the engine. I refused to replace the spark
>> plugs because they were installed 8 months ago (when I lived in IN) by
>> a trusted mechanic. I wonder if I did the right thing. Should I take
>> the advice of the emission mechanic seriously? Will the current spark
>> plugs cuase any damage to the engine?
>>

> If the plugs are causing "higher temperatures inside the engine", it would
> have to do with the heat range of the plugs, not the plugs themselves. It
> is possible the non-OEM plugs are the wrong heat range and that there is
> no
> correct heat range available in that brand.
>
> No damage is likely with the existing plugs, but there have been many
> reports of non-OEM plugs causing poor driveability.
>
> If the car is running fine and has acceptable emissions results, leave the
> old plugs in for now and replace them with the correct NGK or ND at the
> next specified change interval.
>
> If the car is exhibiting driveability problems and there are no other
> obvious culprits, replace the plugs with the correct NGK or ND right now.

The NGK spark plugs on my car cost almost twice as much at the local dealer
than other stores. I wonder if they come with something extra at the dealer.

Old February 22nd 08, 01:07 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger

"Bob Jones" > wrote in
:

> "Tegger" > wrote in message

>> If the car is exhibiting driveability problems and there are no other
>> obvious culprits, replace the plugs with the correct NGK or ND right
>> now.
>>

> The NGK spark plugs on my car cost almost twice as much at the local
> dealer than other stores. I wonder if they come with something extra
> at the dealer.

Sure they do. It's called a markup.

The only reason I buy any parts from the dealer is because I am therefore
certain of their quality. For parts like spark plugs -- where I can buy the
known-to-be-identical same thing from a jobber -- there is no point in
paying the dealer markup.

Old February 22nd 08, 01:34 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Bob Jones

"Tegger" > wrote in message
> "Bob Jones" > wrote in
> :
>

>> "Tegger" > wrote in message

>>> If the car is exhibiting driveability problems and there are no other
>>> obvious culprits, replace the plugs with the correct NGK or ND right
>>> now.
>>>

>> The NGK spark plugs on my car cost almost twice as much at the local
>> dealer than other stores. I wonder if they come with something extra
>> at the dealer.
>>

> Sure they do. It's called a markup.
>
> The only reason I buy any parts from the dealer is because I am therefore
> certain of their quality. For parts like spark plugs -- where I can buy
> the
> known-to-be-identical same thing from a jobber -- there is no point in
> paying the dealer markup.

Spark plug seems to be the only thing. Other items seem resonable.

Old February 22nd 08, 02:39 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger

"Bob Jones" > wrote in
:

> "Tegger" > wrote in message
>> "Bob Jones" > wrote in
>> :

>>> The NGK spark plugs on my car cost almost twice as much at the local
>>> dealer than other stores. I wonder if they come with something extra
>>> at the dealer.
>>>

>> Sure they do. It's called a markup.
>>
>> The only reason I buy any parts from the dealer is because I am
>> therefore certain of their quality. For parts like spark plugs --
>> where I can buy the
>> known-to-be-identical same thing from a jobber -- there is no point
>> in paying the dealer markup.
>>

> Spark plug seems to be the only thing.

And batteries. And tires.

Old February 22nd 08, 04:53 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
MAT

"Fijoy George" > wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I live in Baltimore, MD, and I recently had to take my 1991 Honda Accord
> DX to a mechanic because the car did not pass the NOx emissions test. I
> had the emission mechanic do a fuel system service and replace the
> catalytic converter, and the car passed the test.
>
> Now, the emission mechanic also recommended that the spark plugs be
> replaced. According to this emission mechanic, the current spark plugs in
> my car are American made, and these plugs are not compatible with the
> Asian vehicle. He claimed that this incompatibility is causing higher
> temperatures inside the engine. I refused to replace the spark plugs
> because they were installed 8 months ago (when I lived in IN) by a trusted
> mechanic. I wonder if I did the right thing. Should I take the advice of
> the emission mechanic seriously? Will the current spark plugs cuase any
> damage to the engine?
>
> Thank you very much for any advice.
>
> Fijoy

The cat replacement must have cost a grip! In relativity, your 91 deserves
the proper plugs. Only NGk and Denso will be recommended 'round here.

Old February 23rd 08, 02:37 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Bob Jones

"Tegger" > wrote in message
> "Bob Jones" > wrote in
> :
>

>> "Tegger" > wrote in message
>>> "Bob Jones" > wrote in
>>> :

>>> Sure they do. It's called a markup.
>>>
>>> The only reason I buy any parts from the dealer is because I am
>>> therefore certain of their quality. For parts like spark plugs --
>>> where I can buy the
>>> known-to-be-identical same thing from a jobber -- there is no point
>>> in paying the dealer markup.
>>>

>> Spark plug seems to be the only thing.

> And batteries. And tires.

Batteries are slightly higher than the premium ones sold at regular stores,
but can't tell if they are the same quality and durability. I probably won't
buy tires from dealers as they only have limited selection.

Old February 23rd 08, 02:57 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Fijoy George

Thanks for all your replies.

Fijoy

spark plugs newman Ford Explorer 3 March 26th 07 02:01 AM
VR6 Spark Plugs [email protected] VW water cooled 2 February 2nd 07 07:15 PM
SPARK PLUGS??? [email protected] Ford Mustang 6 July 5th 06 05:19 AM
Oil in the spark plugs steveo2012 BMW 4 August 23rd 05 03:14 AM
156 2.5 V6 Spark plugs? [email protected] Alfa Romeo 0 May 1st 04 11:11 PM