A few problems

Old August 18th 05, 02:52 AM
agentchuckles

Default A few problems

I have a few problems with my Saturn 2000 LS1.

First, my keyless entry does not work. It started dying a few months
ago. I had to push the buttons in harder and longer for it to work.
Now it doesnt work at all. I have two transmitters and both, even with
new batteries, do not work. How do I fix this?

Second, my gas mileage is horrible. I only get 17 mpg in the city and
24 on the highway when I should be getting 23 in the city and 33 on the
highway. I recently had a 30,000 mile tuneup but that didn't fix the
problem. This low mileage has been consistent since I started tracking
it a year ago.

Third, my brakes squeak. Now, I understand this may be normal but that
doesn't make it any less annoying. I'd understand if there was no way
to remedy this but any advice on how to reduce the squeaky noises would
be appreciated.

I suppose this is the end of my list of problems. Perhaps it would be
easiest to take it to a mechanic. There is no Saturn dealer where I
live since I moved from where I originally bought it.

Thanks for any help and advice.

Old August 18th 05, 03:45 AM
Bob Duncan

Sorry- can't help with the keyless entryas I don't know anything about them.

The low mileage - do you get your gas at the same place all the time?
Change up and see if you notice a difference. Sometimes the gas
stations have water in their storage tanks or worse and it can really
hurt your mileage. Also, a lead foot can easily bring your mileage
within the range you're experiencing. Further, though people love to
holler about platinum plugs, they've done nothing but hurt my mileage
(maybe theyre not in the same heat range?). I stick with the OEM or
equivalent plugs and have better success. Other problems could be the
catalytic convertor or other item in the exhaust causing too much back
pressure, bad O2 sensor, dirty air filter - any number of things.

The brake squeal I lived through myself. I fixed it by getting the top
end NAPA brake pads and rotors. No more noise. Incidentally, Saturn
rotors tend to warp on panic stops. Got rid of this problem too.

Hope I helped a little.

Old August 18th 05, 01:20 PM
marx404

First, what city are you in? Have you checked online, no dealers? If not
there must be a local shop who specializes in Saturns if you are that far
away from a dealer.

1.) You need to have your key fobs resynched with the sensor in the car, if
not, the sensor itself needs to be looked at. As the sensors and remotes get
older, they acan lose range though, but you shoudnt ever have to mash the
buttons down.

2.) Have you had a fuel system cleaning? Saturn uses BG treatments, you can
find BG at many other shops too, just STP wont cut it. You can try Chevron
Techron additive a few times to see if it improves also. Have the throttle
body cleaned too and check the air filter.

3.) Brake squeaking is unfortunately a normal evil of just about all oem
brakes, not just Saturns. Condensation, friction and normal surface rust can
make this happen. Two things you can do: Apply Stop Squeak to the brakes or
replace the rotors and pads and have stop squeak applied to the new ones.
Brembo or Wagner makes nice oem replacement brake parts that are
inexpensive. (get dust free pads, that will solve another problem).

I do suggest that you call around, call your orig dealer and ask where the
closest dealer is, but if not there are bound to be a few shops that know
Saturns.

Cheers!
marx404

Old August 18th 05, 02:08 PM
Bob Shuman

On the low fuel mileage, make sure that you check other obvious non-engine
related stuff, like the air pressure in your tires and that your brake
calipers are not dragging.

Bob

.com...

Old August 18th 05, 06:25 PM
RKHenry

"agentchuckles" > wrote in message
ups.com...
>I have a few problems with my Saturn 2000 LS1.
>
> First, my keyless entry does not work. It started dying a few months
> ago. I had to push the buttons in harder and longer for it to work.
> Now it doesnt work at all. I have two transmitters and both, even with
> new batteries, do not work. How do I fix this?

On my '97 SL2, I've had problems with the keyless remote. I fix them like
this:

1. Snap open the remote. The style used for my '97 snaps in half
so that batteries can be replaced. Remotes that aren't made this way will be
difficult or impossible to repair as I'm discribing.

2. Remove the circuit board to get to the rubber button insert. There's a
little black graphite button inside the rubber that contacts the circuit
board. This accumulates a greasy substance that must be removed. Electronics
contact cleaner or even soap and water will work. Just make sure it's dry
before putting it back together.

3. Clean the contact points on the circuit board corresponding to the
buttons using an electronics contact/relay cleaner. Contact cleaner can be
found at any good electronics supply store.

4. Put the control back together and test all functions.

5. More vigorous cleaning can be done, if needed, by scrubbing the contact
points with an ordinary pencil eraser, but a pencil eraser does cause wear
on the contacts.

I find that this procedure fixes the problem for a few months. I suspect
that the aging rubber is oozing plasticizer that gets onto the circuit board
and blocks current flow through the contacts. I also have been using this
procedure to fix my satellite dish remote control, which is constructed
in the same way.

Of course if you can't open the control, like if the battery is replaced
through a little porthole in the back instead of the whole thing coming
apart, then you can't do this trick. In that case it might be easier to just
buy two new controls and get them set up with the car. New ones will work
for a few years before they start acting up again. That would also solve the
problem on my controls that the screen-printed labels on the buttons have
worn away.

RK Henry