New Miata owner

Old September 12th 04, 08:42 PM
Brian Turner

Default New Miata owner

My wife and I just bought a 1999 Miata. We love it so far. I just sold a
1970 VW Karmann Ghia and am switching from the aircooled VW newsgroup to
here, so I am a newbie. My first question is this. When following the car
home after we bought it, we noticed that the speedometer seems to be off.
When the car is going 65 (according to the car following) the speedometer
reads 70. I thought it might be attributable to the 50 series tires that
are on the car, but we have the Leather Package which includes the Touring
Package which had 50 series tires on it from the factory (I thought maybe
they were added later).

I am not as concerned about the speedometer being off as the RPM range the
car is in when driving 65 MPH. The car revs at 3,700 RPM. This seems
excessive, but being new to Miatas it may be OK. Is this RPM normal for
driving at 65 in a Miata.

Thanks in advance for your help and I hope to be a regular on this
newsgroup.

Brian Turner

Old September 12th 04, 09:13 PM
Mike

RPM's seem about right....maybe a fuzz high. Miatas are a high RPM car.
The 1st one that I drove, I couldn't believe how high the RPM's were on the
highway too! The speedometers are usually a bit optimistic. I would guess a
couple of mph high at 65 could be considered normal. The car following might
be just the opposite like my truck is.

Old September 12th 04, 11:16 PM
Leon van Dommelen

"Mike" > wrote:

>RPM's seem about right....maybe a fuzz high. Miatas are a high RPM car.
>The 1st one that I drove, I couldn't believe how high the RPM's were on the
>highway too! The speedometers are usually a bit optimistic. I would guess a
>couple of mph high at 65 could be considered normal. The car following might
>be just the opposite like my truck is.

They are none too accurate, and tires make a difference. The answer
is to check with a GPS, if you drive within a hair of the "they will
probably not ticket me" speed like I do.

>"Brian Turner" > wrote in message
>> My wife and I just bought a 1999 Miata. We love it so far. I just sold a
>> 1970 VW Karmann Ghia and am switching from the aircooled VW newsgroup to
>> here, so I am a newbie. My first question is this. When following the
>> car
>> home after we bought it, we noticed that the speedometer seems to be off.
>> When the car is going 65 (according to the car following) the speedometer
>> reads 70. I thought it might be attributable to the 50 series tires that
>> are on the car, but we have the Leather Package which includes the Touring
>> Package which had 50 series tires on it from the factory (I thought maybe
>> they were added later).
>>
>> I am not as concerned about the speedometer being off as the RPM range the
>> car is in when driving 65 MPH. The car revs at 3,700 RPM. This seems
>> excessive, but being new to Miatas it may be OK. Is this RPM normal for
>> driving at 65 in a Miata.
>>
>> Thanks in advance for your help and I hope to be a regular on this
>> newsgroup.
>>
>> Brian Turner

http://www.dommelen.net/miata
EXIT THE INTERSTATES (Jamie Jensen)
Old September 13th 04, 12:02 AM
Lanny Chambers

In article >,
"Brian Turner" > wrote:

> When the car is going 65 (according to the car following) the speedometer
> reads 70.

Regrettably quite normal. You learn to adjust. The odo is accurate,
though.

> I am not as concerned about the speedometer being off as the RPM range the
> car is in when driving 65 MPH. The car revs at 3,700 RPM. This seems
> excessive, but being new to Miatas it may be OK. Is this RPM normal for
> driving at 65 in a Miata.

It's fine. The rev limiter at 7300 will keep you out of trouble, and the
car will run happily at 6000 all day. It doesn't start making reasonable
power until 4000.

--
Lanny Chambers, St. Louis, USA
'94C
Old September 13th 04, 01:09 AM
Chris D'Agnolo

Brian,

I love the aircooled newsgroup, they've helped me out a bunch in the past
with a 74 Super Beetle that finally wore out both me and my daughter. The
good news is that this group is as helpful and as focused as that group
(which is rare). It may not be quite as diverse but it's probably not far
off.

One thing you'll find out is that the miata is worlds more reliable and just
as much fun, the love affair is just beginning!

Chris
92BB&T

Old September 13th 04, 01:29 AM
Grant Edwards

On 2004-09-12, Lanny Chambers > wrote:

>> When the car is going 65 (according to the car following) the speedometer
>> reads 70.

> Regrettably quite normal. You learn to adjust.

IIRC, my 96 read about 3MPH high at 65. Haven't checked my 03.

> The odo is accurate, though.

IIRC, that is required by law.

> It's fine. The rev limiter at 7300 will keep you out of trouble, and the
> car will run happily at 6000 all day. It doesn't start making reasonable
> power until 4000.

It sure feels to me like the M2s have to be revved higher than
the 1.8L M1's.

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! .. If I had heart
at failure right now,
Old September 13th 04, 04:28 AM
G. Burkhart

"Brian Turner" > wrote in message
> When the car is going 65 (according to the car following) the speedometer
> reads 70.

This is 'normal' for a Miata. My GPS consistantly reads 65mph when the
speedometer reads 70.

> I am not as concerned about the speedometer being off as the RPM range

the
> car is in when driving 65 MPH. The car revs at 3,700 RPM. This seems
> excessive, but being new to Miatas it may be OK. Is this RPM normal for
> driving at 65 in a Miata.

Seems a bit high -- although they may have changed the gear ratio in the
newer Miatas. My '94 reads 3500rpm at 70mph (indicated) and 4k at 80mph in
5th gear. Be aware of the rev limiter around 7200rpm, which in my car I hit
at 65mph in 2nd gear and 80mph in 3rd. Haven't hit the rev limiter in 4th or
5th. Theoretical speed limit of my Miata would be 144mph, haven't tried that
yet. ;-)

Old September 18th 04, 08:31 AM
Dana Myers

Brian Turner wrote:

> When following the car
> home after we bought it, we noticed that the speedometer seems to be off.
> When the car is going 65 (according to the car following) the speedometer
> reads 70.

Yeah. My '02 SE does that too. 70MPH indicated is something
like 64.6 MPH according to my GPS.

> I am not as concerned about the speedometer being off as the RPM range the
> car is in when driving 65 MPH. The car revs at 3,700 RPM. This seems
> excessive, but being new to Miatas it may be OK. Is this RPM normal for
> driving at 65 in a Miata.

Sounds about right.

Dana

Old September 18th 04, 01:31 PM
Dave

In article >, Dana Myers > wrote:
>Brian Turner wrote:
>
>> When following the car
>> home after we bought it, we noticed that the speedometer seems to be off.
>> When the car is going 65 (according to the car following) the speedometer
>> reads 70.

>Yeah. My '02 SE does that too. 70MPH indicated is something
>like 64.6 MPH according to my GPS.
>
>> I am not as concerned about the speedometer being off as the RPM range the
>> car is in when driving 65 MPH. The car revs at 3,700 RPM. This seems
>> excessive, but being new to Miatas it may be OK. Is this RPM normal for
>> driving at 65 in a Miata.

>Sounds about right.

Yep, mine reads about 70 when going 65. I've never had a speedo
that read low or accurately. But this one is more optimistic than
any other. Note, the odometer is not off by anywhere near as
much, perhaps 1% high? Would make an interesting fight for
warranty coverage if it was that far off!

My calculations for rpm at 65 (actual) mph:
5-speed: 3360
6-speed: 3100
MS Miata: 3220
Old September 22nd 04, 04:06 AM
msrides

Brian Turner wrote:

> My wife and I just bought a 1999 Miata. We love it so far. I just sold a
> 1970 VW Karmann Ghia and am switching from the aircooled VW newsgroup to
> here, so I am a newbie. My first question is this. When following the car
> home after we bought it, we noticed that the speedometer seems to be off.
> When the car is going 65 (according to the car following) the speedometer
> reads 70. I thought it might be attributable to the 50 series tires that
> are on the car, but we have the Leather Package which includes the Touring
> Package which had 50 series tires on it from the factory (I thought maybe
> they were added later).
>
> I am not as concerned about the speedometer being off as the RPM range the
> car is in when driving 65 MPH. The car revs at 3,700 RPM. This seems
> excessive, but being new to Miatas it may be OK. Is this RPM normal for
> driving at 65 in a Miata.
>
> Thanks in advance for your help and I hope to be a regular on this
> newsgroup.
>
> Brian Turner

My 94 was higher rev, if you don't hold to 5k+ regularly you're not
enjoying the car enough. If you occasionally get that hydraulic lifter
noise after a good run you're in the ballpark, if you get it every time
you be runnin her a little hard. My new 04 MSpeed has a better torque
curve that and the 6 speed keeps the average rev down a bit. First gear
is a shorter run though took abit to get used to shifting her fast
enough not hit the limitered. 4k'ish is a good spot for driving S-curves
and about where she sits at 80 mph in 6th.

Big Miata Problem- Update Clark Smith Mazda 6 September 16th 04 02:11 PM
Miata gas milate srides Mazda 2 September 11th 04 02:39 PM
Market Value - 2003 Miata Carol Mazda 18 September 9th 04 09:12 PM
1999 Miata Craig Mazda 8 September 9th 04 01:41 PM
FA: BRP Jackson Racing supercharger for 99-00 Miata (ends today) SC Miata Mazda 0 September 7th 04 04:55 PM