Mitsubishi Montero - thinking of buying one. Is it reliable?

Old August 15th 04, 04:12 AM
fern

Default Mitsubishi Montero - thinking of buying one. Is it reliable?

I'm thinking of buying a '96 Montero - was wondering how reliable they are -
I know 4Runners are the most sought-after and thus higher prices.

So are Monteros good vehicles? I want one for going skiing in, camping etc.

How are they compared to 4Runners?

Thanks!

Old August 15th 04, 07:09 AM
urb's91

which model were you looking at, the sport or regular, 2wd, 4wd, 6 or 8
cyl?

--
urb's91
urb's91's Profile: http://www.sseriesowners.com/forum/member.php?userid=79

Old August 21st 04, 02:46 PM
Jeff Guenther

just my opiniun iwork on these things for a living with the gas we have
now it burns the valves in the montero at 70000 miles and takes the head
gaskets out at about 90000 to 12000 miles so i would bye new and trade
at 50000

Old August 21st 04, 05:54 PM
mark gramlich

On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 20:12:15 -0700, "fern"
> wrote:

>I'm thinking of buying a '96 Montero - was wondering how reliable they are -
>I know 4Runners are the most sought-after and thus higher prices.
>
>So are Monteros good vehicles? I want one for going skiing in, camping etc.
>
>How are they compared to 4Runners?
>
>Thanks!

Check in with the folks at
http://www.4x4wire.com/forums/postli...t=&Board=UBB69

From what I've read, these trucks are reliable. The major concerns

6G72 SOHC engine -
1) Valve seals tend to leak about 100,000 miles.
2) Replace the original crank bolt. The original bolt can work loose
or break. It's a $7 part to prevent a $$$$ repair.

6G72 DOHC engine -
Difficult to work on. More powerful than the SOHC model.

The 6G72 engines are reliable and dependable, when maintained. It's
not uncommon to find old 1989/1990/1991 trucks with over 200,000 miles
on the original engine.
--
Everything after the @ is spelled backwards.

those that understand binary, and
those that don't.
Old August 23rd 04, 04:43 PM
DaddyMonkey

Mitsubishi is the Japanese version of Ford in my opinion... scum balls

Old August 25th 04, 11:00 AM
Bob Walker

"fern" > wrote in message
news
> I'm thinking of buying a '96 Montero - was wondering how reliable they
> are -
> I know 4Runners are the most sought-after and thus higher prices.
>
> So are Monteros good vehicles? I want one for going skiing in, camping
> etc.
>
> How are they compared to 4Runners?
>
> Thanks!

I've had 2 Monteros and I can't say enough about them. They're built like
tanks and they are as comfortable as hell. I drive mine in the SW desert and
I beat the crap out of it while travelling in luxury. The cargo area is
large and the seats fold down into a bed for impromptu camping. My 2002
Limited is a unibody and doesn't have a rattle or a squeak after two years
and more than 3,000 miles of twisting, rocky desert trails. I clean it up
and it's another 'soccer mom' SUV. I am a very satisfied owner and wouldn't
hesitate to buy another one except that the manager of my local dealership
is an asshole. Gas mileage is poor and you'll need to use premium to get
good performance. It's a heavy vehicle and there's a lot of metal
underneath. Contrary to what some may believe, the Montero may arguably be
one of the best 'stock' 4x4 SUVs on the market. Just my

Bob Walker