3 Male Fancy Guppies in Q-Tank, Chasing, Aggression or Both?

Old July 19th 04, 09:51 PM
Lady Samsara

Default 3 Male Fancy Guppies in Q-Tank, Chasing, Aggression or Both?

I recently got 3 male fancy guppies for my 10 gallon tank. My friend
has male guppies with no problem, the LFS said males together were
okay and I did lots of research and saw nothing noted about male
aggression. I didn't want pairs as I have no room for babies if they
survive. They have been in a 2 1/2 gallon Q tank since friday, eating
and swimming together quite peacefully. All 3 are about the same size
but one is larger, a middle sized and a smaller one. The largest is
definitly in charge, I saw last night he ate before the others and
they deferred to him. I didn't see the little one eating at all
yesterday when I fed them, he seems the meekest. Today after feeding
them I noticed the larger one chasing the other two all over the tank,
really running them down until they'd practically hit the sides of the
tank or just lay on the bottom real still. It's hard for them, I'm
sure, as there's not too much room for them to hide from the bully.
This went on for quite some time and I am sure was not happening from
the beginning. Now the little one just sits at the bottom and looks
distressed, I want to say it looks as if his breathing is labored but
cannot get a really good look. The middle sized one was down there as
well but didn't really look distressed and is swimming round more. The
fins do not look torn or frayed (yet), the chasing is like I have seen
with my bully Danio, which became constant. So, what now? Here are my
choices as I see them:

I have another tank but do not have a seeded filter to use in it. I do
have one spare UGF and can do regular water changes to keep the water
clean. Should I separate them and if so, who should I move? Will they
calm down once in the 10 gallon. Should I add females? I know it's
hard to say one way or the other but in general is calm restored once
females are available? What do I do with all the babies?

Return one, two or all three to the LFS, if they will take them. It's
a new store for me (my father has dealt with them) and I am not sure
of their policy on returns. I will call and ask.

Leave things as they are and see what happens, which is my least
favorite idea.

Any assistance would be great! I waited so long to stock this tank for
this very reason. I wanted to be sure of what I was adding ! Thank
you!
Old July 23rd 04, 03:47 PM
Lady Samsara

(Christy84065) wrote in message . com...
(Lady Samsara) wrote in message . com...
I have another tank but do not have a seeded filter to use in it.

I would take the filter cartridge from the cycled tank, about half of
the water from the cycled tank along with some regular water and add
some water conditioner. Maybe add then the beat up fish first to give
him a chance to gain the upper hand on the bully. Also add lots of
hiding places and plants for the picked on fish to hide in.

Adding females is a good idea, you would have to add about 2 per male
though so that the males do not stress the females out too badly. You
will get babies but in my tank (I have a 10G too) I have 3 adult
platys 5 adult female guppies ( I used to have 2 males as well, but
they mated themselves to death LOL) 10 baby platy, 2 baby guppies and
two algae eaters. Supposedly this would be a big load for my tank,
but my water parameters are fine, but I also have lots of plants and
do regular water changes when needed. So, for you I would not be too
worried about babies as that only makes more food for the fish and
when some survive then you have fish to trade in at your LFS to help
the fish pay for themselves.
Leave things as they are and see what happens, which is my least
favorite idea.

If you were to do this I am afraid that you will end up with one or
more dead. :0(
Hope this helps

Thanks for your help, Christy. I lost the smallest one and the other
2 are in separate tanks for now. I am going to see if the LFS will
take the babies back for me. If they do I'll add 4 females, which
should solve the problem. TY!