2002 factory hitch replacement

Old March 18th 05, 03:47 PM
knagy389us

Default 2002 factory hitch replacement

Hate to bring this up again, but before I go crazy with what options I
actually have, can someone tell me if the factory 1 1/4" hitch can be
removed and replaced with a 2" hitch? It looks to be integrated into the
frame. I was trying to stay away from that Valley convert-a-hitch.
Haven't seen any pix of it installed and I don't want to use it if it
hangs too low.

Thanks
Ken
'02 XLS

Old March 23rd 05, 10:04 PM
Tikka3006

"knagy389us" > wrote in message
lkaboutautos.com...
> Hate to bring this up again, but before I go crazy with what options I
> actually have, can someone tell me if the factory 1 1/4" hitch can be
> removed and replaced with a 2" hitch? It looks to be integrated into the
> frame. I was trying to stay away from that Valley convert-a-hitch.
> Haven't seen any pix of it installed and I don't want to use it if it
> hangs too low.
>
> Thanks
> Ken
> '02 XLS

I had my 02 Explorer class 3 (2" square) hitch installed at a place called
Discount Hitch. I asked if they could remove the existing class 2 (1 & 1/4"
square) hitch and they said, "no, since its part of the frame." What they
did was install the new hitch under the existing one and its not too low.
Its perfect height for trailers.

Old March 31st 05, 11:50 PM
S.P.

.... can someone tell me if the factory 1 1/4" hitch can be
>> removed and replaced with a 2" hitch? It looks to be integrated into the
>> frame.

> I had my 02 Explorer class 3 (2" square) hitch installed at a place called
> Discount Hitch. I asked if they could remove the existing class 2 (1 &
> 1/4"
> square) hitch and they said, "no, since its part of the frame." What they
> did was install the new hitch under the existing one and its not too low.
> Its perfect height for trailers.

I was told by a Ford dealer that they could swap them (for a fee, of course)

Old April 6th 05, 07:42 PM
knagy389us

Yeah, I assume I'll have to go the same route. Sucks that I don't even pull
anything and I have to go through all this for my bike carrier.

Thanks,
Ken

Old April 20th 05, 06:06 PM
knagy389us

Thought I'd end this one as the search is over. U-Haul ordered/installed a
nice 2" class 3 hitch, $175 out the door. It coveres up the 1 1/4" hitch,
don't care as I won't use it. Nice looking hitch also, it's the round
tube, not the huge square frame that hangs down.

Old April 20th 05, 09:14 PM
Gerry Pierce

"knagy389us" > wrote in message
lkaboutautos.com...
> Thought I'd end this one as the search is over. U-Haul ordered/installed
> nice 2" class 3 hitch, $175 out the door. It coveres up the 1 1/4" hitch,
> don't care as I won't use it. Nice looking hitch also, it's the round
> tube, not the huge square frame that hangs down.

Quite ironic UHaul sold you a hitch, to bad they won't let you tow any of
their POS trailers with it.