How to turn an automobile into a lawnmower ???

Old June 8th 05, 06:35 AM
Winnie Oakbob

Default How to turn an automobile into a lawnmower ???

I need a powerful lawnmower, so I need advice how to turn an
automobile into a lawnmower.

What do I need ?
Old June 8th 05, 12:09 PM
pater

If it's front wheel drive, take the radiator fan(s) & zip tie them to
the catalytic converter, then hook up an extra battery so they spin
twice as fast. Should do the trick & your minimizing cost by using
existing parts. The only thing you'll need after that are the stickers
that tell ya to keep toes & fingers from under the car, put 'em on the
windshield in front of your face as a constant reminder.

Old June 8th 05, 03:08 PM
John S.

Get you three gang mowers, tie them to the bumper bolt a pto onto the
differential and off you go.

Old June 8th 05, 03:57 PM
C. E. White

Winnie Oakbob wrote:

> I need a powerful lawnmower, so I need advice how to turn an
> automobile into a lawnmower.
>
> What do I need ?

Buy a used tractor with a mower....

Ed
Old June 8th 05, 04:40 PM
John S.

"and a penus"

A new and smaller version????

Old June 8th 05, 08:09 PM

Winnie Oakbob wrote:
> I need a powerful lawnmower, so I need advice how to turn an
> automobile into a lawnmower.
>
> What do I need ?

Just drive the car over the border, pick up a bunch of mexicans, and
have them cut your lawn. No conversion necessary.

Old June 9th 05, 12:05 PM
pater

Further thinking tells me that if you take the overflow tank off the
rad, hook a sprinkler head to the hose & fill the cooling system with
some liquid fertilizer, the resulting overheat from lack of fans will
do double duty as an automatic lawn enhancer. Then you can mow twice as
much.

Old June 9th 05, 06:34 PM
Ad absurdum per aspera

> What do I need?

Probably the right back episode of "Monster Garage." Or of "The "Red"
Green Show," one.

I'd suggest that an automobile makes a poor basis for a lawn mower.
Its turning radius is way too big; far too much of it (especially in
front and back) is dedicated to things that are functionally or
aesthetically desirable on the road but work against you in lawn
mowing; it puts a lot of weight on the tires (lawn tractors, especially
the professional groundskeeper sort, are relatively light and sit on
real balloons so as not to harm the grass); and power takeoff is
problematic.

Tractors are also a lot better at going slow -- exasperating when
you're stuck behind one in a no-passing zone, but a big advantage in
many aspects of what they're made for, such as this.

Back in the day, Jeeps and some other 4WD vehicles often had power
takeoff (PTO) provisions that could drive all sort of accessories,
including presumably mowers, but PTO is a feature mostly reserved for
the "equipment" rather than road vehicles nowadays. Even back then,
people did lotsa things with their cheap Army-surplus Jeep because it's
what they had, not because it was the ideal machine for the job.

Which brings us to The Big Question.

If you are doing this as a science project/stunt/beer bet, I'd suggest
a bush-hog type of attachment or perhaps the scary bits of an old
riding mower and the appropriate blade guards, on the front, and a
power linkage driven by an underhood pulley. (With the right ratio to
keep the blade speed within the bounds of sweet reason, of course).

Remember that the more powerful the lawnmower and the more exposed the
business end, the further it can fling a bigger rock, the quicker it
can reduce your mailbox or your neighbor's flower bed to splinters, the
larger and more important a body part it can chop off, and generally
the more unforgiving it is of even a moment of inattention.

If your goal is genuinely to get the lawn mowed and/or brush cleared,
then I'd suggest looking into used "real" farm or grounds equipment,
whether in the form of a dedicated mower, a tractor of whatever size
with a mower attachment, or wheeled hand equipment. It'll do a better
job more safely and far more efficiently with less damage to the plants
and the lawn. In some cases it'll be a lot more versatile. And you
won't screw up your car in ways that make the neighbors shake their
heads in awe and wonderment.

Best of luck,
--Joe

Old June 10th 05, 04:17 PM
Alex Rodriguez

In article >,
says...

>I need a powerful lawnmower, so I need advice how to turn an
>automobile into a lawnmower.
>What do I need ?

Go to
www.discovery.com. Look up old episodes of Monster Garage and then order
the DVD. They converted a Mustang GT into a lawnmower.
Alex