1999 MX5 gearbox

Old March 7th 09, 10:12 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Toommy[_3_]

Default 1999 MX5 gearbox

Hi, My 1999 Mazda 1.8 roadster 6 speed - 65,000 miles (grey import from
Japan to UK) has in the last few thousand miles developed a notchy 3rd gear.

When cold especially It can be really difficult to push it into 3rd,
occasionally its Ok and sometimes the gear crunches - when "pressing on"
when the cars warmed up the problem hardly ever happens

as 2nd gear was very hard to get into i often changed 1st to 3rd - could
this have bought the problem on?

Is it cheap to sort out - I had a main dealer service and they changed the
gearbox oil (as well as differential/brake/clutch/coolant) and the other
gears are easier to get into but tyhe 3rd gear issue remains

the dealer did't want to know about the problem - a gearbox "place" would
have to deal with it

Old March 7th 09, 05:07 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo[_2_]

If fluid change helped some and it was 'organic' oil (non-synthetic), then
I'd say you've gat a chance that with a good synthetic, you might be ok. If
you don't know which was used, check your recpt or call the shop. Usually if
you don't specifically ask for it, they don't use it because it's expensive.

Worth a try!
Chris
99BBB (5spd)

Old March 7th 09, 10:30 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chuck[_13_]

It sounds like the lubricant is too "heavy". Next, the 99 5spd is very
similar or identical to late model year NA 5spd boxes.
The changes were an added weight in the shift mechanism and the number of
teeth in the syncros. And, the changes may or may not be in a 99 tranny.
It sounds like the lubricant is not helping the syncro "cones" match speed
as much as it should.
You should also chsck the rubber boots, and possibly re lubricate the
shifter mechanism.

Old March 7th 09, 11:57 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Lanny Chambers

In article >,
"Toommy" > wrote:

> When cold especially It can be really difficult to push it into 3rd,
> occasionally its Ok and sometimes the gear crunches - when "pressing on"
> when the cars warmed up the problem hardly ever happens
>
> as 2nd gear was very hard to get into i often changed 1st to 3rd - could
> this have bought the problem on?

Sounds like a leaking slave cylinder to me, not a gearbox problem. Cheap
and easy to fix.

--
Lanny Chambers
St. Louis, MO
Old March 8th 09, 04:17 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo[_2_]

Toommy, let us know what you find out. You have several valid (and cheap)
angles of attack on the problem. I would only add that Chucks' mention of
the 'turret oil' is a good one because some transmission places would only
change the fluid in the gearbox and not 'bother' with the turret oil which
can get quite bad (or dried up) in all these years. Synthetic here's a very
good idea also. These are all do-it-yourself type of things if you're handy
with tools. Tons of help / documentation on miata.net

Chris
99BBB

Old March 8th 09, 04:59 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Tooommy[_3_]

thanks for the help guys, I liked the last line of Larrys reply - cheap and
easy (reminds me of myself

I'm glad its (hopefully) not the new gearbox scenario as I've promised
myself a new soft top this year

Cheers

Old March 8th 09, 05:00 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Tooommy[_3_]

(sorry LaNNy)
"Tooommy" > wrote in message
> thanks for the help guys, I liked the last line of Larrys reply - cheap
> and easy (reminds me of myself
>
> I'm glad its (hopefully) not the new gearbox scenario as I've promised
> myself a new soft top this year
>
> Cheers
>

> "Chris D'Agnolo" > wrote in message
>> Toommy, let us know what you find out. You have several valid (and cheap)
>> angles of attack on the problem. I would only add that Chucks' mention of
>> the 'turret oil' is a good one because some transmission places would
>> only change the fluid in the gearbox and not 'bother' with the turret oil
>> which can get quite bad (or dried up) in all these years. Synthetic
>> here's a very good idea also. These are all do-it-yourself type of things
>> if you're handy with tools. Tons of help / documentation on miata.net
>>
>> Chris
>> 99BBB
>>
>> "Lanny Chambers" > wrote in message

>>> Sounds like a leaking slave cylinder to me, not a gearbox problem. Cheap
>>> and easy to fix.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Lanny Chambers
>>> St. Louis, MO
>>> '94C

1999 BMW 528i And 1999 Jeep Wrangler for sale Branden Nelsen[_1_] BMW 0 July 28th 06 05:37 AM
1999 Jeep Wranglerand 1999 BMW 528i for sale Branden Nelsen[_1_] Jeep 0 July 28th 06 05:37 AM
zf gearbox [email protected] 4x4 0 December 13th 04 01:53 PM
lookink for gearbox ratios for automatic gearbox bmw 528i 1998 RS BMW 1 October 11th 04 11:26 PM
Chrysler Voyager LE 3.3 1999 automatic gearbox needed Gaizka General 0 May 31st 04 08:50 PM