Power Steering ('91)

Old September 22nd 08, 03:09 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Lanny Chambers

Default Power Steering ('91)

In article >,
XS11E > wrote:

> My last non PS car was my 1964 Corvette, I don't recall it requiring
> much effort at all, the steering was about 4 turns lock to lock

In college, I autocrossed a friend's Corvette of similar vintage. It had
the fast manual steering option, about 2.5 turns. I was afraid of
getting a hernia.

--
Lanny Chambers
St. Louis, MO
Old September 22nd 08, 05:12 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_3_]

"Chuck" > wrote:

> "I know I can't work the clutch on a Mustang "
>
> The last Mustang I drove a few years back had a "ring" clutch
> cylinder. It had almost no feel and very little effort was
> required, less than my 99 Miata.

The last Mustang I drove had the cable operated cluch, when did they
change to hydraulic?

The Usenet Improvement Project:
http://improve-usenet.org
Old September 22nd 08, 08:26 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Lanny Chambers

In article >,
XS11E > wrote:

> The last Mustang I drove had the cable operated cluch, when did they
> change to hydraulic?

Heh. The last Mustang I drove had a solid mechanical linkage. When did
they change to cable? :-)

--
Lanny Chambers
St. Louis, MO
Old September 22nd 08, 10:43 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_3_]

Lanny Chambers > wrote:

> In article >,
> XS11E > wrote:
>
>> The last Mustang I drove had the cable operated cluch, when did
>> they change to hydraulic?

> Heh. The last Mustang I drove had a solid mechanical linkage. When
> did they change to cable? :-)

All the 3rd generation Fox bodied Mustangs (1979-1993) and 4th
generation Mustangs (1994-2004) had cable operated clutches AFAIK.

Old September 22nd 08, 11:06 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_3_]

XS11E > wrote:

> Lanny Chambers > wrote:
>
>> In article >,
>> XS11E > wrote:
>>
>>> The last Mustang I drove had the cable operated cluch, when did
>>> they change to hydraulic?

>> Heh. The last Mustang I drove had a solid mechanical linkage.
>> When did they change to cable? :-)

> All the 3rd generation Fox bodied Mustangs (1979-1993) and 4th
> generation Mustangs (1994-2004) had cable operated clutches AFAIK.

I should have mentioned I got the Miata because I found a like brand
new 1985 convertible 5 speed, very low miles with a perfect top,
interior, body, etc., one owner and the dealer had sold it new and had
all the maintainance records. I was determined to buy it but a test
drive proved I couldn't manage the clutch with my arthritic knees and
hips. After I tried to drive it, the salesman said that was exactly
why they had the car, the elderly couple who owned it could no longer
deal with the clutch and traded for an automatic.

Someone suggested I look at a Miata and I don't regret the choice!

BTW, I would have tried to managed somehow had it been an '86, the 302
would have been fuel injected with an enormous increase in mileage and
much less tweaking needed to keep it running properly than the awful
Motorcraft 4 barrel on the HO engines....