How do you store your hard top?

Old April 4th 06, 03:35 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Default How do you store your hard top?

NP Kate. Maybe I can take some pix....
Tomes

.. .

Old April 4th 06, 05:33 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Kate, I have trouble understanding your reluctance to expose that top
to the environment it was designed for. I have a topper for my MJ
that sits on 2 4x4's on the ground in direct sun/rain/snow for
probably 11 months out of the year. When it comes time to put it on
for a trip with the wife (she can fill it with luggage for a one night
stay!) I walk out with the hose, open the rear hatch and spray all the
leaves, spiders, and assorted mud off it then roll it on. The finish
on the topper seems to stand up better than the factory paint on the
Jeep ever did.

If I lived in your neck of the woods, I would sure as heck tie it down
well, though.

--
Will Honea
Old April 4th 06, 10:56 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Hey Will,
Well ya see it's like this...
1) As you know I live in tornado country. Even if it doesn't do the twist at
my place I don't want my top to end up in Oz.
The tornados night before last were not far from us, went right through our
county but missed us.
2) Mud dobbers... Wasps that make mud nests. Need I say more? Even in the
garage they are a threat because the little SOBs get in everywhere.
3) Have you priced a replacement lately? If I keep this out of the elements,
it will be in the same great condition as my rig, that is ALSO stored
inside.
4) I am not the sort of person that stores "stuff" outside. The only things
"outside" are the tractor and the pickup. The pickup only because it is too
large to fit in the garage and my husband doesn't like fooling with parking
in in the shop. No dog houses, no dead cars - no plies of stuff - nuttin.
(I tend to lean towards a type A personalty.)
Now the neighbor down the road.... HE has stuff outside.
AND
5) Even if I did want to put it outside, the only choice I would ahve would
beout in a field or in the trees somewhere.

So, that's about it- I don't know what else to say in my defence.

Kate

:
: > "jeff" > wrote in message
: > news:aD8Yf.4411$e11.3683@trnddc02...
: > :I have a couple of stumps out back with a 2x4 across them and a couple
: > : of saw horses. Can't say as it's exactly flat and level, but Dawg
kinda
: > : likes fiberglass doghouse in the summer.
: > : --
: > : jeff
: > :
: > :
: > : Kate wrote:
: > : > I am looking at all of this stuff on the web and my owner's manual
says
: > : > store it flat on the floor.
: > : >

Old April 4th 06, 01:38 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

I don't blame her. The day the top is manufactured, it begins it's trek
back to it's base elements. How fast that journey is, largely depends on
the treatment it's owner gives it. Properly stored, the top will outlast
the owner, plus a thousand years or so. Make a dog house or fish pond
out of it and see how much faster it decays. I've seen some brand new
looking CJ7 tops and some that aren't worth the airspace they are taking
up. No one should ever be faulted for taking care of their property.
Store it properly if you have the room.

tw
2003 TJ Rubicon * 2001 XJ Sport * 1971 Bill Stroppe Baja Bronco

"There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness'."

Pronunciation: 'jEp Function: noun Date: 1940

Etymology: from g. p. (G= 'Government' P= '80 inch wheelbase')
A small general-purpose motor vehicle with 80" wheelbase, 1/4-ton
capacity and four-wheel drive used by the U.S. army in World War II.

Old April 5th 06, 03:25 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

No defense needed <g>. Ever consider that if a twister managed to
tear up and toss a well tied down top, you probably wouldn't really
care anywho? And note that my garden hose fronts 85 psi water
pressure - that trumps the daubers every time. I'm not convinced that
external storage affects the appearance of those tops near as much as
it does the Jeep paint, although I've seen several folks around here
who use a cover/tarp to protect it.

That last point renders all other argumenrts moot - I never argue with
a picky gal. Like the 105 year old man said when they asked how he
kept his wife happy for 80 years of marriage: "two words: Yes, Dear".

Given the choice, I think I would opt for the rafter hangers myself -
much more convenient than anything else I've seen. A cheap ATV winch
would make removal/installation a one man (that's a generic "Man",
BTW) job. My problem is that the idiot who designed this house
managed to completely screw up the space above the garage - I barely
have room for a radio aerial in mine.

A hint for easy positioning when re-insatlling: slide a 1 inch length
of PVC pipe under the top so that it rolls as you maneuver the top
into position. Saves lots of cussing and sweat when you need to move
it just a little - lots easier than just sliding it.

--
Will Honea
Old April 5th 06, 04:12 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

"Kate" (please ask)> wrote in message
> Hey Will,
> Well ya see it's like this...
> 1) As you know I live in tornado country. Even if it doesn't do the twist
> at
> my place I don't want my top to end up in Oz.
> ...............snipped...............
> Kate

On my former YJ (before my now TJ) I laid my top outside. It blew, rained,
flipped it over, filled it up with water and then froze. It spent a lot of
time upside down with frozen water until it thawed. Light still worked
though when it was installed again, but now I hang mine. I was not going to
do that with my TJ one.
Tomes

Hard brake pedal when cold [email protected] VW water cooled 1 June 23rd 05 11:45 PM
hard to start curbrider Jeep 7 June 6th 05 02:11 AM
90 FORD F150 PICKUP STARTS HARD, THEN DIES websthes Technology 1 December 26th 04 11:39 PM
Assistance needed with Spider '91 hard top Dimitris Alfa Romeo 0 September 3rd 04 02:40 PM
Clutch pedal hard to press in hot weather (Alfa 156) Steven Spits Alfa Romeo 1 July 16th 04 12:02 PM