156 knocking when clutch dropped

Old November 14th 04, 09:33 PM
Peter Mac

Default 156 knocking when clutch dropped

Hello all

I have a 1998 156 1.8 TS, currently with 78000 on the clock. After
driving along a fairly bumpy road this evening, a knocking sound
started coming from the front end.

The knocking only occurs when the car is moving. It happens when I
drop the clutch, and also when I'm NOT accelerating. (i.e. when I'm
changing gear it starts, but when I then start to accelerate, it goes
away.) It tends to start again when I take my foot off the
accelerator.

In addition, the rate of knocking corresponds with the speed of the
car. The faster we're going, the faster the knocking.

It is fairly loud inside the car, but apparently not audible from
outside. (I got my wife to stand on the pavement while I drove past!
I heard the knocks fine - she heard nothing.)

Of course, the bumpy road may have had nothing to do with it. Though
it seems just a little coincidental.

Has anyone experienced this? Any ideas as to what is the most likely
cause? Suspension/roll bar bushes, engine mounts?
Old November 15th 04, 01:27 AM
S.J. Ewen

Peter Mac wrote:

> Hello all
>
> I have a 1998 156 1.8 TS, currently with 78000 on the clock. After
> driving along a fairly bumpy road this evening, a knocking sound
> started coming from the front end.
>
> The knocking only occurs when the car is moving. It happens when I
> drop the clutch, and also when I'm NOT accelerating. (i.e. when I'm
> changing gear it starts, but when I then start to accelerate, it goes
> away.) It tends to start again when I take my foot off the
> accelerator.
>
> In addition, the rate of knocking corresponds with the speed of the
> car. The faster we're going, the faster the knocking.
>
> It is fairly loud inside the car, but apparently not audible from
> outside. (I got my wife to stand on the pavement while I drove past!
> I heard the knocks fine - she heard nothing.)
>
> Of course, the bumpy road may have had nothing to do with it. Though
> it seems just a little coincidental.
>
> Has anyone experienced this? Any ideas as to what is the most likely
> cause? Suspension/roll bar bushes, engine mounts?

Sounds exactly like what I had... Wheel bearing... 57 pounds plus VAT for
the part, one hours labour to fit (50 quid).
Old November 15th 04, 01:37 PM
Peter Mac

What a fool!

In the cold light of day, the problem became apparent. My suspicions
were alerted when I noticed a wheel nut missing from the nearside
front wheel. (My wife had thought it was coming from her side!)

Yes, the wheel was loose. I consider myself very lucky it had not
decided to come off completely. I am also very lucky that this has
not cost me anything to put right! (Well, I'll need to replace the
lost nut. It was a locking one as well!)

Keep checking those nuts. I certainly will from now on.
Old November 16th 04, 11:56 AM
Dave Savage

Scary !!!! How did you manage to lose a wheel nut ?

om...

Old November 19th 04, 07:33 PM
Tim Anderson

> Keep checking those nuts. I certainly will from now on.

Funnily enough I had the same problems few weeks back, again turned out to
be two loose wheel nuts.

I can't stress what you said above more. Check them nuts!!

clutch problem on alfa 155 ray Alfa Romeo 5 November 14th 04 02:01 PM
More Knocking noises on a 2.5 V6 156 (subtle ones) S.J. Ewen Alfa Romeo 0 October 9th 04 02:06 PM
Knocking Noise from fron of 156 David Alfa Romeo 10 October 8th 04 10:57 PM
156 'knocking' ?? NC Alfa Romeo 4 July 20th 04 08:08 PM
Alpha 156 2.4 JTD clutch biting point Nick Alfa Romeo 6 July 7th 04 03:48 PM