Second hand alloys... safe to buy?

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old June 3rd 05, 03:46 PM
HerHusband

TIA,

> I have 3 curbed alloys - 1 is OK. I've found somebody selling 3 of the
> same type of alloys all refurbished, but too far away to inspect in
> person (I have seen pictures and they look good). I've never bought
> used alloys before... just wondering if there are any pitfalls to be
> wary of?

Many years ago I bought a set of used wheels for my 1976 Rabbit, from a guy
in a neighboring city. They looked nice, ran true, and fit well. Then a
week or two later I noticed a tire was going flat. I didn't think much of
it at the time and just aired it up again. A week or two later, it was flat
again. I needed new tires anyway, so I bought new tires thinking that was
the problem. But, a week later, the tire was going flat again. After a
little research with soap and water, I discovered air was bleeding through
the metal of the rim itself...

Still, I liked the wheels and just learned to air up my tires every week. I
ran them almost 10 years this way, while I kept my eye out for another set
of gold mesh wheels.

Then, about a year ago, I purchased a set of refurbished wheels from Wheel
Collision center (www.wheelcollision.com). They look great and fit even
better. They're worth more than my entire car...

Anthony