Yet another 4-speed trans question

Old May 30th 05, 08:34 PM
Lisa Horton

Default Yet another 4-speed trans question

In my 94 TC, I've got the notorious transmission. A year and a half
ago, a few months after I bought it, the trans failed and I got a
rebuild (not at Aamco!). A few weeks ago, the output speed sensor
failed. Thanks to this group, I was able to figure out what the problem
probably was, and take it to my local garage.

Now, it's starting to go into limp mode. Occasionally, but the
frequency is increasing. Only in the first 5-10 minutes after the
engine is started (cold start or warm, not hot, restart). The local
garage couldn't replicate the problem.

I haven't had the trans fluid and filter changed since the rebuild, but
it hasn't been 2 years or 20K miles. I have driven it up into and in
the mountains a lot though, on ski trips.

The rebuild had a 1 year warranty, but none of the trouble happened
until after the year was up.

Would it be smart to first try changing the fluid and filter? The
transmission shop wants $70 just to read the codes and take a look.

Thanks,

Lisa
Old May 31st 05, 11:11 AM
jdoe

Dropping $70 now could save you a bundle. You figure it out.
Larry

Old May 31st 05, 06:14 PM
Lisa Horton

But if changing the fluid and filter would save me the same bundle, and
take care of a normal service need at the same time, might that be a
better first step?

Lisa