16" vs 17" Wheels and Tires

Old January 2nd 06, 11:05 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

Default 16" vs 17" Wheels and Tires

Group:

1996 Mustang GT Convertible. Had factory 16" wheels and tires. Bought a
set of the factory 17" GT/Cobra 10 spoke wheels and added new tires. Will
the difference between the 16" versus the 17" wheels cause a difference in
the speedometer? Appears to be a 5-6mph difference (e.g. shows doing 80,
only really doing 74-75).

How would one go about getting something like this re-calibrated?

Thank you!
gjt

Old January 3rd 06, 01:09 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

gjt wrote:
> Group:
>
> 1996 Mustang GT Convertible. Had factory 16" wheels and tires. Bought a
> set of the factory 17" GT/Cobra 10 spoke wheels and added new tires. Will
> the difference between the 16" versus the 17" wheels cause a difference in
> the speedometer? Appears to be a 5-6mph difference (e.g. shows doing 80,
> only really doing 74-75).
>
> How would one go about getting something like this re-calibrated?
>
> Thank you!
> gjt

As you know, wheel size has no effect on speedometer accuracy. Tire
size? Well, that is another matter. What size did you start with, and
what size do you have now? If you used the same tires on your new
wheels, your speedometer will be WAY off.

Use this calculator to compare your old tires w/ new ones:

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

and you will be able to calculate the PERCENTAGE difference (it won't be
the same # of mph everywhere on the speedo).

Rob
Old January 3rd 06, 01:45 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

Not sure about 'stangs but in Jeeps we just buy a new speedometer drive
gear. Also called a pinion speedometer drive gear. It's calibrated to your
tire size and gear ratio. IE: I had 33" tires and 4.10' gears in my Wrangler
so I needed a 32 (guess) tooth pinion speeedomete drive gear.

HTH

Carl

et...

Old January 3rd 06, 03:26 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

Carl wrote:
> Not sure about 'stangs but in Jeeps we just buy a new speedometer drive
> gear. Also called a pinion speedometer drive gear. It's calibrated to your
> tire size and gear ratio. IE: I had 33" tires and 4.10' gears in my Wrangler
> so I needed a 32 (guess) tooth pinion speeedomete drive gear.
>
> HTH
>
> Carl
>
> "trainfan1" > wrote in message
> et...
> > gjt wrote:
> >> Group:
> >>
> >> 1996 Mustang GT Convertible. Had factory 16" wheels and tires. Bought a
> >> set of the factory 17" GT/Cobra 10 spoke wheels and added new tires. Will
> >> the difference between the 16" versus the 17" wheels cause a difference
> >> in the speedometer? Appears to be a 5-6mph difference (e.g. shows doing
> >> 80, only really doing 74-75).
> >>
> >> How would one go about getting something like this re-calibrated?
> >>
> >> Thank you!
> >> gjt

A programming from a stealership or one of those programmers used in
OBD2 vehicles will do the job.

Old February 1st 06, 07:28 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

You could do the old 1+ method, I think it went something like this, for
every inch increase in rim diameter you add 10 to the width and subtract 10
from the aspect ratio. Example, take a stock 16 inch rim with 225 by 60
tires. i.e. R16 x 225 x 60. To go to a 17 inch rim but still maintain the
same overall diameter you would replace your tires with R17 x 235 x 50's.
This gives you a wider, lower profile tire with the approximate same overall
diameter as the ones you just replaced, note the operative term wider, your
fender wells need to have enough room to accommodate the new tire.

Everybody feel free to jump in here if I got this wrong

ups.com...

Old February 1st 06, 12:07 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

That's weird. It sound like the new tires/wheels combination is a smaller
diameter?
Fred
89 LX

Old February 1st 06, 03:44 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

There is a site that has the calculations done for you, it gives you the
percentage between your stock wheel/tire combo and what you are thinking of
putting on. It even gives you the speedpmeter reading at 60mph and what you
are actually going. the site is Miata Tire size calculator. Just type it
into Google and go from there

Old February 2nd 06, 06:51 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

You are offsetting having a larger diameter rim by using a tire with a
narrower side wall. If placed side by side the new lower profile tire on
the larger rim should stand almost as tall as the original tires.

m...

E46 wheels and tires Planar1 BMW 26 July 9th 05 12:48 PM
Burning Rubber Gets Expensive MrPepper11 Driving 16 April 29th 05 12:26 AM
Burning Rubber Gets Expensive MrPepper11 General 15 April 28th 05 01:25 PM
Tires and wheels Chip Jeep 2 March 17th 05 02:26 PM
Tires and Wheels for sale - Pflugerville, Texas jrhslick BMW 0 October 22nd 04 12:05 AM