The dreaded oil/tire thread!

Old August 1st 08, 03:54 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_3_]

Default The dreaded oil/tire thread!

"Iva" > wrote:

> "XS11E" > wrote in message

>>> And more, UPS has them, delivery is scheduled for Wednesday.
>>>
>>> I'm afraid they'll have to wait since Thursday is new top day,
>>> the wheels/tires will have to keep until the weekend.

>> They're here! I won't get the car back until this afternoon so
>> the tires will probably get installed this weekend.

> Isn't it nice to be pleasantly surprised by a vendor for a change?
> <g>

Yes, but Mike's Place wasn't able to finish the top today since I had
to ask for a couple of other things that needed to be done so I'll get
it back tomorrow AM. Not a problem, I shall spend the morning like I
do the first of every month, dividing my total net worth between the
electric company, the phone company, the water company, etc. etc. etc.
<sigh>

Saturday is now the day I re-tire! <-WOW, really bad pun alert!

The Usenet Improvement Project:
http://improve-usenet.org
Old August 4th 08, 10:07 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo

Initial impressions yet?

Chris
99BBB
I just put 2 Yokohama Prada Spec2's on the front of my Miata and after 2300
mile road trip (not great roads), I'm very impressed with their grip / ride.
Will have to do some research on 'good roads' soon :-)

. 236...

Old August 4th 08, 11:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

Chris D'Agnolo wrote:
> Initial impressions yet?
>
> Chris
> 99BBB
> I just put 2 Yokohama Prada Spec2's on the front of my Miata and after
> 2300 mile road trip (not great roads), I'm very impressed with their
> grip / ride. Will have to do some research on 'good roads' soon :-)

It's Prolific Chris, spreading life into r.a.m.m.

I am thinking about flying to California in October, but I have heard
that Austin to Big Bear Lake is a fun road trip.

First, the car needs tires, a full tune-up, and front brakes. (like a
sliver of pad material left, oops).
I hate it when several things hit at once. Even doing my own labor when
possible, it adds up, especially decent tires in 215/45/16.

IIRC you have 16's. What tire size did you go with and what was the cost?

Pat
Old August 5th 08, 12:32 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_3_]

"Chris D'Agnolo" > wrote:

> Initial impressions yet?

Last night I drove to dinner and back, you want impressions based on 12
miles? Well, they seem to hold air, they're not noisy, they handle
gentle curves very nicely at extremely slow speeds....

Old August 8th 08, 05:30 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo

Well, I guess that's something but hey, get out there and drive that thing
my friend! We need to know!

Chris
99BBB

. 236...

Old August 8th 08, 05:43 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo

Hey Pat, Wow, 215's work on your car? I don't know if they would work on my
car / wheels (I don't remember the width spec of my wheels but 6-1/2" comes
to mind). I like the 205/45/16's. I've tried 205/40/16's but I believe that
little extra sidewall helps ride quite a bit and actually looks better too.
215's would really look good though, hmmmm.

The Yoko's ended up costing me $125 ea mounted / balanced. Not cheep by any
means but they are super grippy AND have DOT ratings of 300 /AA/A so, I'm
expecting them to last 30k or so (the Goodyear F1 DS G3 had the same ratings
and lasted well past 30k. IIRC they cost ~$150 ea).

Later,
cd
99BBB

Old August 8th 08, 05:49 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_3_]

"Chris D'Agnolo" > wrote:

> Well, I guess that's something but hey, get out there and drive
> that thing my friend! We need to know!

Can't, it's in the shop. Remember it's a white 1992? That means like
most cars of that era the paint fell off, my white 1993 Jeep Grand
Cherokee did the same thing.

I got a couple of bucks and decided to get the wheels and tires to go
with my new top (back window is still in place!) and get it re-painted
before I blew the money on worthless crap like food, utilities, etc.
Besides, a couple of months w/o eating should improve acceleration, I
think, due to weight reduction.

I'm having it done with a special low photon drag white paint and it'll
be home again in about 6 days.

BTW, I had the Jeep done at Earl Scheib, it was cheap and I was VERY
happy with the job they did but I wanted better for the Miata, I hope I
chose the right place?

I'll know soon, I asked if they'd guarantee the paint job until the
Cardinals won the Superbowl but they wouldn't even guarantee the
universe would last that long..... <sigh>