Replacing D44 rear

Old March 13th 05, 06:52 PM
Troy

Default Replacing D44 rear

Well, the body shop says the accident bent my d44 case... will have to get a
new one or used one.

It took me forever to find a used d44 rear for my 01 tj. Now I'm thinking
they will replace the case and keep my internal parts. I'm suspecting that
the local body shop it trying to look around for a used one to save them
money? I honestly don't think they can find one in a short period of time.

Well then, what's the part number/ name or whatever I need to know to get
started here looking for myself? Is differential housing with axle tubes
and end flanges for the drum brakes all one piece? Does anyone know what
I'm going to have to be replacing here?

I suppose a schematic for a d44 with part numbers would be good, does Bill
happen to have a handy schematic I can study? (crossing fingers) or if
anyone knows where I can get a d44 rear used that isn't bent from jumping or
anything, I'll let my shop know and they will procure it from ya.

Troy

Old March 13th 05, 06:58 PM
Nathan W. Collier

"Troy" <@ .> wrote in message
nk.net...
> It took me forever to find a used d44 rear for my 01 tj.

<SNIP
> I honestly don't think they can find one in a short period of time.

the d44 tj rear has been around for many years. im surprised they arent
readily available from your local salvage yards.

--
Nathan W. Collier
http://7SlotGrille.com

Old March 13th 05, 08:27 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Ditto.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old March 13th 05, 08:45 PM
Matt Macchiarolo

Get a settlement from the insurance company and use it toward a new axle
assembly. If the case was bent, there's no telling what kind of damage was
caused to the internals that isn't apparent now but may show up in a year.
And finding a housing and swapping the internals is a false economy, since
it takes so much labor to swap out the components...it might be more
expensive parts-wise to to swap in a complete new axle, but the savings in
labor from swapping components into another housing would probably make up
the difference. You could probably get one from a dealer, but try an
aftermarket outfit too, there's quite a few that make TJ Dana 44's ready to
bolt in.

nk.net...

Old March 13th 05, 10:55 PM
mic canic

more than likely the insurance company will ok a used unit since a new on has to
be built with new bearings and gear set possiblely a new axle too
at least that the way it works in our body shop
i have never seen a new one come complete with gears bearing and axles ready to
roll but i'm not the one ordering them .