1999 Explorer Sport engine code problem

Old February 8th 05, 05:59 PM
J-Sarge

Default 1999 Explorer Sport engine code problem

I have a 1999 Ford Explorer and the computer tells me that there is a
insufficient flow to EGR Valve. I have contacted to ford dealerships and
got two different answers. One tells me that is is probably the dpfe
sensor which is 100 bucks, the other says it is probably the regulator. I
am new at this emmisions stuff and any help would be greatly appreciated.
J-Sarge

Old February 8th 05, 07:20 PM
Davenandee

I had a code 402 on my 1999. The direction from the group was
'troubleshoot'. I went to a friendly shop and the computer said DPFE. I
bought ond frem a Ford dealer for about $80. and it solved the problem.
I then found new ones on EBAY for about $20.

Dave

--
Diving is life! The rest is just details.

Old February 9th 05, 03:12 AM
Jim Warman

Please, please, please... post the code number... If the code retrieved was
a P0401, you are ALMOST assured that it is the DPFE. The regulators and
valves themselves have been known to fail tough not with the regualrity of
the sensors. You may want to double check with your dealer... I recall a
customer satisfaction program though I cannot currently access the details.

There is a simple method to testing the DPFE but you will need a scan tool
capable of display PID data and a hand vacuum pump.

lkabouttrucks.com...

Old February 9th 05, 10:14 AM
Happy Traveler

A scan tool is nice, but not essential. The DPFE puts out a DC voltage,
which is not that difficult to measure, either by backprobing the connector
or by poking the wire with a fine probe (not recommended, but not a disaster
if the puncture is later sealed). The detailed curves are in the book, but
to determine if the DPFE is alive or dead, it's sufficient to check if it
puts out something between 0.25V and 1.25V at rest and rises to about 5V
with 4-5 psi applied. When mine failed, it was reading full scale with the
tubes disconnected. Didn't even need the vacuum pump to tell that it was
broken...