salt air corrodes electric window switches -help

Old January 13th 04, 07:16 PM
alex

Default salt air corrodes electric window switches -help

My dad has a car in Mexico with electric windows and the salt air gets
in the window switches. he's had to replace these switches several
times due to corrosion. does anyone have a better idea to solve this
problem? I was thinking maybe a marine switch that is waterproof. any
ideas or sources for parts would be great. I'm sure he'll have to
re-mount anything that isn't original, but that's fine. At least
they'll work.

thanks in advance.

please reply to (remove XXX before using this
email)
Old January 13th 04, 08:45 PM
James Sweet

"alex" > wrote in message
om...
> My dad has a car in Mexico with electric windows and the salt air gets
> in the window switches. he's had to replace these switches several
> times due to corrosion. does anyone have a better idea to solve this
> problem? I was thinking maybe a marine switch that is waterproof. any
> ideas or sources for parts would be great. I'm sure he'll have to
> re-mount anything that isn't original, but that's fine. At least
> they'll work.
>
> thanks in advance.
>
> please reply to (remove XXX before using this
> email)

Perhaps you could take apart the switches and coat all the contacts with
dielectric grease.

Old January 13th 04, 09:04 PM
Mike Romain

Like the others have said, dielectric grease. We have serious salt on
our roads and that stuff is the only way to go.

It also works great on sensor plugs and sockets. We were told 3 years
ago our TPS was cooked. I cleaned it with a contact cleaner like WD40,
then used dielectric grease on the seals of the plug.

Lasted until last summer and had to do it again.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old January 13th 04, 10:24 PM
Jerry G.

You have to use the original switches. Probably putting on some dielectric
grease or the equivalent would do the job. There are also some rust
inhibitors used for electrical systems. You would have to research out
something that would be available in your area for you. Check with some of
the major electrical and automotive suppliers in your area for this type of
product.

--

Greetings,

Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG
WebPage http://www.zoom-one.com

om...

Old January 14th 04, 04:33 AM
alex

thanks for the great info on how to fix this problem. I'll send these
ideas off to my dad.

thanks again - Alex

Old January 14th 04, 07:18 AM
Tibur Waltson

>"alex" > wrote in message
> My dad has a car in Mexico with electric windows and the salt air gets
> in the window switches. he's had to replace these switches several
> times due to corrosion. does anyone have a better idea to solve this
> problem? I was thinking maybe a marine switch that is waterproof. any
> ideas or sources for parts would be great. I'm sure he'll have to
> re-mount anything that isn't original, but that's fine. At least
> they'll work.

Vaseline.

I'll bet some fine casseroles that dielectric grease aren't
found in Porta Vallarta... uhmm...unless I'm WRONG.

Old January 14th 04, 03:05 PM
El Meda

"Tibur Waltson" > wrote:

>>"alex" > wrote in message
>> My dad has a car in Mexico with electric windows and the salt air gets
>> in the window switches. he's had to replace these switches several
>> times due to corrosion. does anyone have a better idea to solve this
>> problem? I was thinking maybe a marine switch that is waterproof. any
>> ideas or sources for parts would be great. I'm sure he'll have to
>> re-mount anything that isn't original, but that's fine. At least
>> they'll work.

>Vaseline.
>
>I'll bet some fine casseroles that dielectric grease aren't
>found in Porta Vallarta... uhmm...unless I'm WRONG.

Well, maybe there is something like it in the local Wal-Mart. :')

Greetings from _Puerto__ Vallarta.
---
Ing. Remberto Gomez-Meda >
http://ingemeda.tripod.com/
INGE - Ingenieria Electronica.
Puerto Vallarta, Jalisco, Mexico.
Old January 14th 04, 03:45 PM
Mike Romain

Tibur Waltson wrote:

> >"alex" > wrote in message
> > My dad has a car in Mexico with electric windows and the salt air gets
> > in the window switches. he's had to replace these switches several
> > times due to corrosion. does anyone have a better idea to solve this
> > problem? I was thinking maybe a marine switch that is waterproof. any
> > ideas or sources for parts would be great. I'm sure he'll have to
> > re-mount anything that isn't original, but that's fine. At least
> > they'll work.

> Vaseline.
>
> I'll bet some fine casseroles that dielectric grease aren't
> found in Porta Vallarta... uhmm...unless I'm WRONG.

They sell it as spark plug boot protector to make removing the boots
easy later and it even comes with new plug wire sets so my guess is you
are wrong....

I could be wrong, but vaseline is a petroleum grease that does conduct
electricity.

Dielectric grease is a silicone based product that does not short out
wiring.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's
Old January 14th 04, 04:20 PM
Richard Crowley

"Mike Romain" wrote ...
> I could be wrong, but vaseline is a petroleum grease
> that does conduct electricity.

*IF* it does conduct, it is very high impedance and won't
have any practical (or discernable) effect in a vehicle power
window switch (low voltage and high current).

Old January 14th 04, 04:43 PM
Tony Hwang

Richard Crowley wrote:

> "Mike Romain" wrote ...
>
>>I could be wrong, but vaseline is a petroleum grease
>>that does conduct electricity.

> *IF* it does conduct, it is very high impedance and won't
> have any practical (or discernable) effect in a vehicle power
> window switch (low voltage and high current).

Hi,
Another solution may be to spray the switch with foam spray out of
can sealing the whole assembly.
Tony

1994 Accord LX Power Window Problem R. P. Honda 6 December 28th 04 02:09 AM
Rear Electric Window liam Audi 3 December 6th 04 03:31 PM
2000 Cabrio Driver's Window Weatherstripping Question Jose R. Perez VW water cooled 0 October 21st 04 03:32 AM
Alfa 164 Electric Window problem Emjay Alfa Romeo 2 July 13th 04 12:42 AM
VW Electric Window Switch Funny Behaviour Chris Audi 4 June 2nd 04 07:26 PM