floor pan quality

Old May 26th 05, 12:13 AM
Alex

Default floor pan quality

Im going to be seperating the body and pan this weekend, my floors seem to
be in pretty decent shape minus some minor rust holes, not very large. These
are still the original floor pans. Should I replace them completely or
should I just patch these up? What is the quality of the aftermarket floor
pans for a 1973 Super compared to the originals?

Thanks
Alex

Old May 26th 05, 01:21 AM
johnboy

"Alex" > wrote in message
> Im going to be seperating the body and pan this weekend, my floors seem to
> be in pretty decent shape minus some minor rust holes, not very large.
> These are still the original floor pans. Should I replace them completely
> or should I just patch these up? What is the quality of the aftermarket
> floor pans for a 1973 Super compared to the originals?

If you can't poke a hole through the rusty spots (or at least anywhere other
than where the battery was), then patch, prime, paint and be happy. POR
rules (imho) for pans.

Old May 26th 05, 01:38 AM

I would say it depends on the time it would take to patch the orginal
floors and how bad they are. it could take you 10 plus hours to replace
with aftermarket( including replaceing the junk seat track with the
originals). If you think you can fix the originals and have them come
out nice in even twice that time. Original is always better.

Mario
vintage werks resto

Old May 26th 05, 09:00 AM
Kevin Holzer

Cut out the offending rust areas, paint the edges, and pop rivet in a
new piece of metal. Use some seam sealer or cut up an innertube to make
a seal for between the new piece and the old pan. Take the whole pan
down to metal and repaint it also, if you'd like.
If it doesnt have any real serious holes, you don't need new pans. If
its only a section, you can get sections as well. Way too much work for
not enough return. Make sure to get your patch on there nice. If you
have access to welding equipment or have a friend that welds, you can do
that as a more permanent solution. Send us pictures, they help!
Best of luck!
-Kevin

Old May 26th 05, 12:49 PM
johnboy

"Kevin Holzer" > wrote in message
> Cut out the offending rust areas, paint the edges, and pop rivet in a new
> piece of metal. [...]

Pop rivet? Man, those things aren't really good. Weld it up!

(Even rivets scare me. Some of you might know what it is like to be in a
stressed out old military aircraft where the expression "raining rivets" was
not uncommon.)

Old May 26th 05, 10:12 PM
Kevin Holzer

Better than leaving it the way it is. If its only a hole an inch or
three in diameter, five or six pop rivets oughtta work fine. Remember,
it IS a Volkswagen...not a Porsche...

-Kevin

Old May 26th 05, 10:21 PM
bug '59

<snip>

> Remember, it IS a Volkswagen...not a Porsche...
>
> -Kevin

....Meaning...???!!!

Old May 27th 05, 12:27 AM
Mike64Bug

Uh oh. I feel the need to go out to the garage and give my Beetle a hug...ºsnifº...poor baby...you're JUST a
Volkswagen...ºsighº...don't worry...it'll be okay... : )

--
>>>Mike

'64 sunroof Beetle
'55 semaphore Beetle

Old May 27th 05, 08:27 AM
Kevin Holzer

bug '59 wrote:
> <snip>
>
>>Remember, it IS a Volkswagen...not a Porsche...
>>
>>-Kevin

> ...Meaning...???!!!

Volkswagen drivers tend to have less money (than porsche drivers) so I
guess you are right, I'm not talking about the car but more the typical
driver of the given car.
About my pop rivet idea; I'm not going to try to say its perfect, but
it's better than the hole that problably would end up staying there, no?
I personally don't have access to welding equipment. This is my
solution till I pull the body from the pan on my ghia and get new rear
pan quarters and do it right. Granted, it is a holdover job, but its
better than nothing.
-Kevin
Old May 27th 05, 08:34 AM
Kevin Holzer

bug '59 wrote:
> <snip>
>
>>Remember, it IS a Volkswagen...not a Porsche...
>>
>>-Kevin

> ...Meaning...???!!!

Yeah, you're right. I'm sorry RAMVA. That was a bad thing to imply...
I love these cars.
-Kevin