Even moe stupid cop tricks

Old March 30th 06, 08:15 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

Default Even moe stupid cop tricks

In article >, jaybird wrote:

>> Last I heard the emergency rules didn't allow endangering others.

> Nope, they don't. Read the "due care" section.

Anyone else who excercises that level of "due care" is cited for reckless
driving.

Old March 30th 06, 08:24 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

"Brent P" > wrote in message
> In article >, jaybird wrote:
>
>>> No he did ****ty. I was there. Had I not picked up he was a cop I would
>>> have done something different and there would have been a crash.

>> Using your psychic powers again?

> Why don't you read my posts again where I describe how I picked up it was
> likely a police cruiser closing on me.

I don't doubt that you figured out what it was. It was the crash prediction
I was refering to. You could make lots of money if you can predict those.

--
---
jaybird

Old March 30th 06, 08:26 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

"Brent P" > wrote in message
> In article >, jaybird wrote:
>>
>> "N8N" > wrote in message
>> oups.com...

>>> ONLY in Texas. I don't believe the OP lives in Texas.

>> No, you guys are all incorrect once again. In (625 ILCS 5/11-205) (Yes,
>> Illinois!) it says practically the same thing. To paraphrase, it says:
>> "The driver of an authorized emergency vehicle, when responding to an
>> emergency call or when in the pursuit of an actual or suspected violator
>> of
>> the law...
>>
>> may:
>> 1. Park or stand, irrespective of the provisions of
>> this Chapter;
>>
>> 2. Proceed past a red or stop signal or stop sign,
>> but only after slowing down as may be required and
>> necessary for safe operation;
>>
>> 3. Exceed the maximum speed limits so long as he
>> does not endanger life or property;
>>
>> 4. Disregard regulations governing direction of
>> movement or turning in specified directions.
>>

>> This is the important part:
>>
>> (d) The exceptions herein granted to an authorized emergency vehicle,
>> other
>> than a police vehicle, shall apply only when the vehicle is making use of
>> either an audible signal when in motion or visual signals meeting the
>> requirements of Section 12-215 of this Act.
>>
>> So, it says the same thing that Texas law does. All emergency vehicles
>> _except police vehicles_ are required to use a visual or audible signal
>> when
>> the above exemptions apply. The OP says that they were going to a
>> robbery
>> in progress, so they were perfectly legal in doing what they did.

> I don't see the license to drive recklessly. Also with out audible signal
> and lights nobody has to yield to the cop. Hmm... maybe I should get
> another beater car.

No one is talking about yielding.

--
---
jaybird

Old March 30th 06, 08:29 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

In article >, jaybird wrote:

>>> Using your psychic powers again?

>> Why don't you read my posts again where I describe how I picked up it was
>> likely a police cruiser closing on me.

> I don't doubt that you figured out what it was. It was the crash prediction
> I was refering to. You could make lots of money if you can predict those.

I wouldn't have to predict. I could have made it happen easily. He came
that close to hitting me. had I done what I normally would have done,
move right without accelerating, we would have likely collided.

Old March 30th 06, 08:29 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

"Brent P" > wrote in message
> In article >, jaybird wrote:
>
>> Glad to hear it.

> Not surprising, you'd like to see me killed by a cop crashing into me
> more than likely.

No, you're my comic relief.

>>> Yet if a non-cop drives that way, it's reckless.

>> Yes, but you have to go further than that. It has to be a cop meeting
>> the
>> criteria set in the applicable statute.

> You've just made the cops above the law, what's one more going to be?

I haven't made anyone anything. I've merely pointed out the exemption to
certain laws when police vehicles are responding to emergencies.

>>> His not running lights greatly reduced safety. If he was running lights
>>> would have punched the accelerator to make more room, instead I knew a
>>> cop was closing on me fast and didn't dare do what was safe because it
>>> wasn't legal.
>>>
>>> Now, your average lane blocking asshole would have seen some 'evil
>>> speeder' coming up from behind, not picking up on the fine details of
>>> ISP
>>> cruisers and probably done something to punish the 'evil speeder'.
>>>
>>> So, he runs his risks both ways, but in only one way are people required
>>> to yield to him.

>> Yes you're quite right there are risks both ways. By law, yeilding is
>> required one of the ways but by using common sense and sometimes leaving
>> things flowing the way they are, it sometimes makes it easier to
>> anticipate
>> the gaps.

> And if I had not properly identified him as a cop from tell-tale signs
> few people know (I learned that one r.a.d and confirmed it with
> observation of cop and non-cop crown vics and caprices, and former cop
> car taxis) there would have been a crash. If I knew he was a cop in hurry
> instead of one trying to trick me into speeding up, I could have made the
> situation safe by accelerating. But see that's another nasty habbit of
> cops, riding bumpers and coming up on people fast to get them to speed up
> because that's the natural reaction and then ticketing them for it.

At least now you're a little clearer on the law. I've done my service for
the day.

--
---
jaybird

Old March 30th 06, 08:30 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

In article >, jaybird wrote:

>> I don't see the license to drive recklessly. Also with out audible signal
>> and lights nobody has to yield to the cop. Hmm... maybe I should get
>> another beater car.

> No one is talking about yielding.

Why don't you read the first post of the thread again.

Old March 30th 06, 08:31 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

"Brent P" > wrote in message
> In article >, jaybird wrote:
>
>>> Last I heard the emergency rules didn't allow endangering others.

>> Nope, they don't. Read the "due care" section.

> Anyone else who excercises that level of "due care" is cited for reckless
> driving.

Well yeah... it's the difference between personal vehicles and police
vehicles. If you read the laws I posted it clears it up so that you're not
so confused between the two.

--
---
jaybird

Old March 30th 06, 08:35 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

In article >, jaybird wrote:

>> few people know (I learned that one r.a.d and confirmed it with
>> observation of cop and non-cop crown vics and caprices, and former cop
>> car taxis) there would have been a crash. If I knew he was a cop in hurry
>> instead of one trying to trick me into speeding up, I could have made the
>> situation safe by accelerating. But see that's another nasty habbit of
>> cops, riding bumpers and coming up on people fast to get them to speed up
>> because that's the natural reaction and then ticketing them for it.

> At least now you're a little clearer on the law. I've done my service for
> the day.

Wooptie do... the cops got a law passed that makes what they would do
anyway legal.

Old March 30th 06, 08:35 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

In article >, jaybird wrote:

>>> Nope, they don't. Read the "due care" section.

>> Anyone else who excercises that level of "due care" is cited for reckless
>> driving.

> Well yeah... it's the difference between personal vehicles and police
> vehicles. If you read the laws I posted it clears it up so that you're not
> so confused between the two.

And you wonder why people stop respecting the law.

Old March 30th 06, 10:22 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

"Brent P" > wrote in message
> In article >, jaybird wrote:

>>> Why don't you read my posts again where I describe how I picked up it
>>> was
>>> likely a police cruiser closing on me.

>> I don't doubt that you figured out what it was. It was the crash
>> prediction
>> I was refering to. You could make lots of money if you can predict
>> those.

> I wouldn't have to predict. I could have made it happen easily. He came
> that close to hitting me. had I done what I normally would have done,
> move right without accelerating, we would have likely collided.

Ok, Brent you win. Your superpowers are better than his.

--
---
jaybird