Even moe stupid cop tricks

Old April 5th 06, 10:16 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

Default Even moe stupid cop tricks

"N8N" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> jaybird wrote:
>> "N8N" > wrote in message
>> oups.com...

>> > I meant to reply to this earlier, not sure why I didn't...
>> >
>> > anyway, my point was not about the car so much as the fact that it's
>> > equally unsafe for a cop to be driving "like a cop" as it is for a
>> > civilian with reasonable driving skill to be driving "like a cop."
>> > Both are illegal (unless the cop has lights and/or siren on) in my
>> > area. The cop's driving is universally overlooked. A civilian would
>> > probably go to jail.

>> Any my point was about necessity. Arriving somewhere a few seconds
>> sooner
>> for a cop can sometimes make a huge difference. Sometimes that outweighs
>> the risk of driving outside the normal limits of the law.

> MY point is, which I'm sure you're aware of by now, that around here
> cops don't EVER follow pretty much ANY of the traffic laws. They
> certainly can't all be responding to emergencies 24/7 can they? and
> does not signalling lane changes or tailgating really get you anywhere
> any faster?

Tailgating might, but you usually end up with someone's bumper in the front
of your car. )

>> > are somewhat correct in that there's not a GREAT difference between a
>> > cop car and a civilian car in terms of performance, but in terms of
>> > long term usability and durability the cop car is the way to go; it is
>> > basically a towing package and a handling package bundled together,
>> > with a couple extra HD options that either aren't available to the
>> > general public or require lots of research and a friendly, helpful
>> > dealer to find the right boxes to check on the option sheet. Handling
>> > is generally much better at the expense of ride quality which is
>> > generally marshmallow soft on the consumer-grade versions. I
>> > personally would far rather have a police package Vicky than the
>> > regular consumer grade version.

>> It is a very good car. I wish it had a little more kick to it when
>> you're
>> taking off from a stop, but other than that I've driven them for so long,
>> so
>> many miles, that it's like a second skin. When I went to the emergency
>> vehicle driving instructor school we learned just how far you can push
>> that
>> particular car and it made a huge difference. The students we teach,
>> usually cops who have been out on the street several years, are sometimes
>> amazed at how much farther they'll go once they learn to stop squealing
>> tires and to feather the gas.

> That brings up two points... first, almost nobody knows where the
> limits of their car really are so they are not comfortable approaching
> them. Myself included; my current vehicles are my company car (which I
> have not thoroghly tested for obvious reasons,) a Porsche 944 (because
> its limits are so high that it's a really, really BAD idea to get
> anywhere near them on a public road) and a '55 Stude coupe (which is
> still in the "shakedown" stage.) But when I was working with ABS
> software it was often stated that the average driver would likely never
> intentionally exceed 0.3G in any direction, which pretty much squares
> with my observations and anyone with a subscription to any car magazine
> would infer from that that there is a HUGE cushion between how people
> actually drive and the ultimate limits of their vehicles - over 100% in
> almost all cases. Of course, that's actually a GOOD thing, as we
> wouldn't want people driving around on public roads at 9/10ths all the
> time. So your observations are probably valid not only for
> police-package Vickys in particular, but for most cars on the road.

Yep. In a perfect world everyone would know the limits of their vehicle if
for nothing else than evasive manuvers to avoid a wreck. It's like people
who slam on their brakes rather than steering around a collision. As many
people in this n.g. are already familiar, it's easy to use the center of
gravity of your car to your advantage and accelerating is sometimes easier
to control than braking in a turn (depending on the circumstances).

> Second point. Quicker takeoff is easy to achieve. For a nominal fee I
> would be more than happy to advise you on how best to perk up your
> cruiser. I'm thinking to start with we could throw in the motor from a
> SVT Cobra; it should bolt right in although there will have to be some
> modifications made to the electronics. If you are still unhappy with
> the power we can talk farther <G>

What's the no fee solution? )

--
---
jaybird

Old April 5th 06, 11:59 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

jaybird wrote:
> "N8N" > wrote in message
> oups.com...

<snip>

>>Second point. Quicker takeoff is easy to achieve. For a nominal fee I
>>would be more than happy to advise you on how best to perk up your
>>cruiser. I'm thinking to start with we could throw in the motor from a
>>SVT Cobra; it should bolt right in although there will have to be some
>>modifications made to the electronics. If you are still unhappy with
>>the power we can talk farther <G>

> What's the no fee solution? )

Nitrous oxide works well, and is relatively inexpensive (if you use
restraint with it, that is) - your cruiser is out of warranty, right?
How fast do you want to spend? <G> (oh, yeah, you're supposed to keep
the mechanical valve closed on the street... cops don't like it when
you have your NOx bottle open... but I guess that wouldn't be an issue
would it?)

Alternately, you could try to convince all the criminals in your area to
drive slow cars.

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.