transponder key situation, but no key: Ford Explorer

Old February 28th 06, 01:46 PM posted to alt.autos.ford,alt.locksmithing,alt.trucks.ford,rec.autos.tech

Default transponder key situation, but no key: Ford Explorer

Nehmo Sergheyev wrote:
> A Ford Explorer 2001 that takes a transponder key.
>

> Let's say you have no keys, what would it take to get a new key made? Is
> this only possible at the Ford dealers? How much roughly will it cost?

When you have no keys the cheapest route will be to go to the dealer.
THey can make a new key based on the VIN or other numbers found on your
car if you still have original steering column. Im not sure dealers are
required to have the same prices for this stuff so maybe call a few to
see who is cheapest.

> Is there any workaround? Is it possible to break the steering lock and
> enable the ignition?

No, thats the point of the system.

> I'm in Kansas City Kansas.

Isin't that where they make the Ford Explorer? They make some Ford
there. You can probably get a blank key from someone at the plant, get
a lock smith to cut it, and get the dealership to program it. You can
probably program it without the tool, but the procedure may be secret or
hidden in the owners manual. I know GM can be done without the tool,
but it takes 1/2 hour.

Note: European anti-theft rules are different and euro vehicles
anti-theft behaves differently.

--
Thank you,

Old February 28th 06, 02:58 PM posted to alt.autos.ford,alt.locksmithing,alt.trucks.ford,rec.autos.tech

I don't know where you are looking, here is a cut and paste from 2001
Explorer Owner guide, 1rst printing page 118:

Programming spare keys

A maximum of eight keys can be coded to your vehicle. Only

SecuriLocky keys can be used. To program a coded key yourself, you

will need two previously programmed coded keys (keys that already

operate your vehicle's engine) and the new unprogrammed key(s) readily

accessible for timely implementation of each step in the procedure.

If two previously programmed coded keys are not available (one or both

of your original keys were lost or stolen), you must bring your vehicle to

your dealership to have the spare coded key(s) programmed.

Please read and understand the entire procedure before you begin.

1. Insert the first previously

programmed coded key into the

ignition and turn the ignition from 3

(OFF) to 4 (ON) (maintain ignition

in 4 (ON) for at least one second).

2. Turn ignition to 3 (OFF) then 2

(LOCK) and remove the first coded

key from the ignition.

3. Within ten seconds of removing

the first coded key, insert the

second previously programmed coded key into the ignition and turn the

ignition from 3 (OFF) to 4 (ON) (maintain ignition in 4 (ON) for at least

one second but no more than ten seconds).

4. Turn the ignition to 3 (OFF) then 2 (LOCK) and remove the second

coded key from the ignition.

3

2

1

5

4

Controls and features

119

5. Within 20 seconds of removing the second coded key, insert the new

unprogrammed key (new key/valet key) into the ignition and turn the

ignition from 3 (OFF) to 4 (ON) (maintain ignition in 4 (ON) for at least

one second). This step will program your new key to a coded key.

6. To program additional new unprogrammed key(s), repeat this

procedure from step 1.

If successful, the new coded key(s) will start the vehicle's engine and the

theft indicator will illuminate for three seconds and then go out.

If not successful, the new coded key(s) will not start the vehicle's engine

and the theft indicator will flash on and off. If failure repeats, bring
your

vehicle to your dealership to have the new spare key(s) programmed.

Controls and features

120

Old February 28th 06, 08:34 PM posted to alt.autos.ford,alt.locksmithing,alt.trucks.ford,rec.autos.tech

wrote in message news
> On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 06:58:53 -0800, you wrote:
>

>>I don't know where you are looking, here is a cut and paste from 2001
>>Explorer Owner guide, 1rst printing page 118:
>>

> that is ALSO 5 years old now-and actually closer to 6..
> they changed it on the newer models.
>

> --Shiva--
>
>Read the original post- it is about a 2001 Ford Explorer that the original
>two keys are lost. I am sure the person could care less how to fix OTHER
>vehicles.
My original response was: (You simply need to have two new keys cut for the
vehicle and reprogrammed).
That is all there is to it.

Old February 28th 06, 09:16 PM posted to alt.autos.ford,alt.locksmithing,alt.trucks.ford,rec.autos.tech

--Shiva-- wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 08:07:27 -0500, you wrote:
>

>>There are
>>BILLIONS of transponder codes within this technology. There is no
>>fooling the system with a resistor. Think of it as a fingerprint.
>>Guessing what fingerprint it requires is a whole lot more complicated.

> IIRR, when they first came out with it.. TI who at that time
> made the chip was talking about 42? quadrillion codes without
> duplication.

.... that should be enough for Toyota's production for a year or two...
once the other mfgs are gone...

Rob

Old March 1st 06, 04:07 AM posted to alt.autos.ford,alt.locksmithing,alt.trucks.ford,rec.autos.tech

wrote in message
> On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 18:15:44 GMT, you wrote:
>
>>note; while you are at it, have two made and programed.
>>that way you can add a third key yourself without having
>>get it programmed.
>>
>>> Is there any workaround?

>>No...

> its my understanding that starting with 2000 you CANNOT
> add a
> third key without the programming tool..might vary with
> model,
> but they 'pulled this option..
>
> --Shiva--

as far as I know it has not changed but will check it out.
the Ilco Auto Truck key blank reference 2006
still shows OBP on most models up through 2006.
see below.
http://www.kaba-ilco.com/key_systems...Auto_Truck_Key
_Blank_Reference_%5B2852-E-1105%5D.pdf

has a length of 98 characters and resulted in the following
TinyURL which has a length of 24 characters:
http://tinyurl.com/lo8tu

--
"Key"

Old March 1st 06, 04:10 AM posted to alt.autos.ford,alt.locksmithing,alt.trucks.ford,rec.autos.tech

"Marsh Monster" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> .
> .
> .
> as it pertains to the topic at hand....
> I dug this link out.
> .
> .
> http://www.f150driver.com/forums/sho...8&postcount=14

article does not apply to the subject.
vats key is not to be compared to a transponder key.

my2¢
--
"Key"

Old March 1st 06, 04:28 AM posted to alt.autos.ford,alt.locksmithing,alt.trucks.ford,rec.autos.tech

"Marsh Monster" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> .
> .
> TOP POST
> =======
> =======
> Thank you,
> but I am very much aware of the differences in the two
> systems.......and the operational parameters of the two.

then why did you say

Old March 1st 06, 04:30 AM posted to alt.autos.ford,alt.locksmithing,alt.trucks.ford,rec.autos.tech

wrote in message
news
> On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 06:58:53 -0800, you wrote:
>

>>I don't know where you are looking, here is a cut and
>>paste from 2001
>>Explorer Owner guide, 1rst printing page 118:
>>

> that is ALSO 5 years old now-and actually closer to 6..
> they changed it on the newer models.
>

> --Shiva--

it appears to still stand true.
refer to my post

--
"Key"

Old March 1st 06, 04:35 AM posted to alt.autos.ford,alt.locksmithing,alt.trucks.ford,rec.autos.tech

"dnoyeB" > wrote in message
. ..
> Nehmo Sergheyev wrote:
>> A Ford Explorer 2001 that takes a transponder key.
>>

>> Let's say you have no keys, what would it take to get a
>> new key made? Is
>> this only possible at the Ford dealers? How much roughly
>> will it cost?
>>

> When you have no keys the cheapest route will be to go to
> the dealer. THey can make a new key based on the VIN or
> other numbers found on your car if you still have original
> steering column. Im not sure dealers are required to have
> the same prices for this stuff so maybe call a few to see
> who is cheapest.
>

>> Is there any workaround? Is it possible to break the
>> steering lock and
>> enable the ignition?
>>

> No, thats the point of the system.
>

>> I'm in Kansas City Kansas.
>>

> Isin't that where they make the Ford Explorer? They make
> some Ford there. You can probably get a blank key from
> someone at the plant, get a lock smith to cut it, and get
> the dealership to program it.

auto locksmiths can program too.
its NOT a dealer only thing...

> I know GM can be done without the tool, but it takes 1/2
> hour.

different tool..
doesn't apply to transponder technology.

--
"Key"

Old March 1st 06, 04:54 PM posted to alt.autos.ford,alt.locksmithing,alt.trucks.ford,rec.autos.tech

>>Isin't that where they make the Ford Explorer? They make
>>some Ford there. You can probably get a blank key from
>>someone at the plant, get a lock smith to cut it, and get
>>the dealership to program it.

> auto locksmiths can program too.
> its NOT a dealer only thing...
>

>>I know GM can be done without the tool, but it takes 1/2
>>hour.

> different tool..
> doesn't apply to transponder technology.

I'm not following what your saying. GM can be done without any tool.
got nothing to do with 'different' tool. Transponders are transponders.
GM/Ford/Chrysler will all be using the same transponders. Its the
software in their modules that will determine if you need a tool or not.
I can't say that Ford does not need a tool because I don tknow there
system. But having written software for these systems I can safely say
that there is no reason for requiring a tool.

--
Thank you,