Useful Tools

Old July 28th 05, 06:10 AM
Jan

Default Useful Tools

I thought I'd shoot some pictures of tools I made along the way that
help me work on my VW's. Some of them are VW specific, some are not.
I may slip in a link or a photo of store-bought items as well, or just
plans for building a tool.

The idea is to keep adding to this page over time.

http://bugfuel.tripod.com/Tools/imadethese.html

Next to come: Engine test bench (Need to paint it), piston wrist pin
puller, oil pump puller, Deck Height measuring tool, oil pressure
control valve bore tool, TopDeadCenter lock, flywheel lock "buddy bar"
and who knows what else.

Maybe someone will find these useful. I know there is a commercially
available tool equal (or as in many cases, inferior) to these, but these
cost me almost nothing but time, MIG wire and shielding gas to make. And
scrap metal from the "materials" pile.

Jan
Old July 28th 05, 04:47 PM
TerryB

Jan wrote:
> I thought I'd shoot some pictures of tools I made along the way that
> help me work on my VW's. Some of them are VW specific, some are not.
> I may slip in a link or a photo of store-bought items as well, or just
> plans for building a tool.
>
> The idea is to keep adding to this page over time.
>

> http://bugfuel.tripod.com/Tools/imadethese.html
>

> Next to come: Engine test bench (Need to paint it), piston wrist pin
> puller, oil pump puller, Deck Height measuring tool, oil pressure
> control valve bore tool, TopDeadCenter lock, flywheel lock "buddy bar"
> and who knows what else.
>
> Maybe someone will find these useful. I know there is a commercially
> available tool equal (or as in many cases, inferior) to these, but these
> cost me almost nothing but time, MIG wire and shielding gas to make. And
> scrap metal from the "materials" pile.
>
> Jan

Keep it coming!!! I like it.

Although, an air hammer works well on a hinge pin! BTDT

Also tried the BFH and a punch.....almost lost a finger with that one.
Good thing you lose the feeling in digits when they are mashed!!! lol

Old July 29th 05, 02:20 PM
Remco

Jan wrote:
> I thought I'd shoot some pictures of tools I made along the way that
> help me work on my VW's. Some of them are VW specific, some are not.
> I may slip in a link or a photo of store-bought items as well, or just
> plans for building a tool.
>
> The idea is to keep adding to this page over time.
>

> http://bugfuel.tripod.com/Tools/imadethese.html
>

> Next to come: Engine test bench (Need to paint it), piston wrist pin
> puller, oil pump puller, Deck Height measuring tool, oil pressure
> control valve bore tool, TopDeadCenter lock, flywheel lock "buddy bar"
> and who knows what else.
>
> Maybe someone will find these useful. I know there is a commercially
> available tool equal (or as in many cases, inferior) to these, but these
> cost me almost nothing but time, MIG wire and shielding gas to make. And
> scrap metal from the "materials" pile.
>
> Jan

I didn't know you could replace valve springs, etc without removing the
engine - Somehow figured the head would need to come off.

Pressurizing the cylinder with compressed air, that's very clever..

Remco

MotorHead Tools MotorHead Corvette 0 April 12th 05 02:24 AM
MotorHead Tools MotorHead Dodge 0 April 12th 05 02:20 AM
What brand of tools favored by pros? Roger Sircar Chrysler 11 November 15th 04 03:50 PM
Audi Special tools ~ ElektraMan ~ Audi 4 November 3rd 04 09:33 PM
EXCESS TOOL INVENTORY- SPX/OTC-SERVICE SOLUTIONS TOOLS Kirk Rocheford-All World, Inc. Dodge 0 October 18th 04 05:37 PM