Adjustable Coil Over Spacer

Old January 18th 05, 05:32 PM

Default Adjustable Coil Over Spacer

http://www.jksmfg.com/acos.htm
Adjustable Coil Over Spacer (ACOS=99) - Has anyone install them on
their TJ. If so is it easy to adjust them? I would like to install a
set of 4 put them on the lowest setting then when offroading crank them
up. So if you have a set is it easy to raise or lower them. Are they
worth the money?

Old January 18th 05, 05:51 PM
Mike Romain

Interesting concept.

I can only see one issue and that is shock length. Can you get a shock
that can handle that much travel from full down to full up?

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

http://www.jksmfg.com/acos.htm

Old January 18th 05, 08:59 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Their picture shows the adjustment ring all the way up, lowering
the car while not retracting the bump stop, that ought to make it ride
nice. NOT!
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old January 18th 05, 09:13 PM
Matt Macchiarolo

IMHO these are only worthwhile if you can adjust them from the driver's
seat.

> wrote in message
oups.com...
http://www.jksmfg.com/acos.htm
Adjustable Coil Over Spacer (ACOST) - Has anyone install them on

Old January 19th 05, 03:45 AM
Dean

I can see a couple of problems with cranking those things up and down.

1. Its going to mess with your alignment. But probably not too big of an issue
off road.

2. Cranking them up is going to require you to lift 1/4 of the weight of the
vehicle. Add friction to the equation and you're going to need a fairly long
lever to accomplish your goal.

3. The thread looks fairly fine which means its going to take a lot of turns to
make any difference.

4. There isn't a lot of room in a TJ's wheel well to be turning these things up
and down.

I think idea is good in principal, but not very practical. Air bags might be
better, like this:

http://www.offroadonly.com/products/suspension/airock/

Dean

Old January 19th 05, 04:37 AM
SoK66

There was an article about a year ago in one of the Jeep magazines about a
guy who put these on a lifted Rubicon project car. Sorry I can't recall
which one it was, may have been JP or Petersens.

I was over at Avalanche Engineering today and they were finishing up a trick
custom rail with Fox Racing struts that used only nitrogen, no coil-over
springs. First time I've seen this used on an off road rig. This one is
being done specifically for rock racing.

Old January 19th 05, 03:26 PM

I read the instructions on them and the springs have to be unloaded.
Someone pointed out about the threads, I would agree. It would be nice
if it were possible to adjust them after they have been installed.
Plus accessing them would be difficult especially in the rear.

Old January 20th 05, 08:06 AM
Cherokee-Ltd

> wrote in message
>I read the instructions on them and the springs have to be unloaded.
> Someone pointed out about the threads, I would agree. It would be nice
> if it were possible to adjust them after they have been installed.

You can. Pick up a set of McPherson strut spring compressors (affixed to the
outside of the coil unlike coil spring compressors that go inside). It's not
terribly practical but when you use ACOS to level your ride, you don't have
to remove the coils to adjust them. They're not what you would call a budget
boost ($400 for a TJ) but you can get yourself a couple inches without
tossing perfectly good, cushy factory springs. When your rig starts to sag,
you can adjust for it. I like the idea but way overpriced.

-Brian