"Check" problem? 5-series

Old January 26th 05, 12:14 AM

Default "Check" problem? 5-series

1992 525i - in the check area, it constantly shows that one brake light
is out. Both brake lights work fine, but just to be sure I replaced
both bulbs, but to no avail - the light stays on. Anyone have any
ideas what the problem might be? Thanks

Old January 26th 05, 12:24 AM
Ruben

It is the brake switch that is broken,
It is under your breakpedal, replace it
> schreef in bericht
oups.com...

Old January 26th 05, 12:28 AM
tech27

All BMW's seem to suffer from an overly sensitive "bulb burned" sensor. The
usual fix is to replace both bulbs. If you've done that try also cleaning
the contacts inside the light housing. Even small fluctuations caused by
impeded current flow can trigger the check light. Just a thought - maybe you
need to replace all the bulbs in both brake lights - I don't recall that the
sensors specify L or R brake lights.

Cheers

oups.com...

Old January 26th 05, 12:49 AM
Jim Levie

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 18:28:49 -0500, tech27 wrote:

> All BMW's seem to suffer from an overly sensitive "bulb burned" sensor. The
> usual fix is to replace both bulbs. If you've done that try also cleaning
> the contacts inside the light housing. Even small fluctuations caused by
> impeded current flow can trigger the check light. Just a thought - maybe you
> need to replace all the bulbs in both brake lights - I don't recall that the
> sensors specify L or R brake lights.

And it is important to use the correct bulbs (usually an Osram part) with
the plated base. The plain brass base bulbs (auto store generic) are known
to be problematical. Given the low cost of the bulbs I get an entire set
(tail & brake) from a dealer and replace them about every four years.

Oh yeah, don't forget to check the top center brake light...

--
The instructions said to use Windows 98 or better, so I installed RedHat.

Old January 26th 05, 01:43 AM
Jeff Strickland

Does it say, LEFT BRAKE LIGHT OUT, or Right, or does it say BRAKE LAMP
CIRCUIT ERROR?

The Brake Light Out means a brake light is out, the Circuit Error means
there is a bad (probably dirty) switch mounted to the brake pedal.

oups.com...

Old January 26th 05, 07:10 PM
Dotcom Computers

In ,
Jeff Strickland > typed:
> Does it say, LEFT BRAKE LIGHT OUT, or Right, or does it say BRAKE LAMP
> CIRCUIT ERROR?
>
> The Brake Light Out means a brake light is out, the Circuit Error
> means there is a bad (probably dirty) switch mounted to the brake
> pedal.
>

> > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>> 1992 525i - in the check area, it constantly shows that one brake
>> light is out. Both brake lights work fine, but just to be sure I
>> replaced both bulbs, but to no avail - the light stays on. Anyone
>> have any ideas what the problem might be? Thanks

I had the same problem on my UK 1993 525i SE- I needed to replace the boot
wiring loom for another reason, and checked everything else.

Turns out the error was caused by a faulty front headlight height adjustment
motor. I just disconnected both of them, and the problem went away.

Jason Russell

Old January 27th 05, 10:01 PM

Thanks to all for your help - it was the 3rd light in the bottom center
of the back window. I'm still
trying to figure out how I could have missed that....

Thanks again for the responses!!
Bob Spencer
Boston

(P.S. Go Patriots!)