Weird A/C problem

Old July 13th 05, 05:45 AM
toller

Default Weird A/C problem

My wife's Grand Caravan (2001) A/C isn't working properly. She get warm air
out of the driver's side vents, and slightly cool air out the the passenge
side vents. She finally figured out to close the drivers vents and directed
the other at her. Doesn't work well, but at least it is better.

What could this be? It seems to me that the heating vent on the driver's
side must be partly open. Does that make sense, or is there a better
explanation.

Thanks.

Old July 13th 05, 10:42 PM
danny burstein

In > "toller" > writes:

>My wife's Grand Caravan (2001) A/C isn't working properly. She get warm air
>out of the driver's side vents, and slightly cool air out the the passenge
>side vents. She finally figured out to close the drivers vents and directed
>the other at her. Doesn't work well, but at least it is better.

>What could this be? It seems to me that the heating vent on the driver's
>side must be partly open. Does that make sense, or is there a better
>explanation.

You might, might.... be able to reset this by going
through the test-cycle mode. It probably won't hurt...

Turn on the air condtioner in "recirc" mode. Then hold
down both the windshield wiper and the washer buttons
(the top and bottom ones on the left side) for about ten seconds
until they start flashing.

Thyis will start a test routine going between heating and
cooling at different settings.

After a bout a minute it'll finish up and just the washer
light will flicker. Push it in, then push the air condtioner
and circulation buttons again.

Old July 17th 05, 04:16 PM
toller

"danny burstein" > wrote in message
> In > "toller" > writes:
>
>>My wife's Grand Caravan (2001) A/C isn't working properly. She get warm
>>air
>>out of the driver's side vents, and slightly cool air out the the passenge
>>side vents. She finally figured out to close the drivers vents and
>>directed
>>the other at her. Doesn't work well, but at least it is better.

>>What could this be? It seems to me that the heating vent on the driver's
>>side must be partly open. Does that make sense, or is there a better
>>explanation.

> You might, might.... be able to reset this by going
> through the test-cycle mode. It probably won't hurt...
>
> Turn on the air condtioner in "recirc" mode. Then hold
> down both the windshield wiper and the washer buttons
> (the top and bottom ones on the left side) for about ten seconds
> until they start flashing.
>
> Thyis will start a test routine going between heating and
> cooling at different settings.
>
> After a bout a minute it'll finish up and just the washer
> light will flicker. Push it in, then push the air condtioner
> and circulation buttons again.

There is a 40 year old "Dick VanDyke Show" where the "phone company" calls
and tells him to stand up holding the phone, hop on one foot, and finally to
cackle like a chicken.
This isn't like that is it?
You are serious and it won't blow anything out?!?!

Old July 17th 05, 06:07 PM
danny burstein

In > "toller" > writes:

>There is a 40 year old "Dick VanDyke Show" where the "phone company" calls
>and tells him to stand up holding the phone, hop on one foot, and finally to
>cackle like a chicken.

>This isn't like that is it?
>You are serious and it won't blow anything out?!?!

Indeed it's legit. The self-test cycle, among other
things, moves the damper (or tries...) to the "start"
(for want of a better term) position before going
through the whole sequence. So... it's possible
(that's a possible, nowhere near a definit) that
it'll succeed in resetting everything.

It depends on why and how exactly the damper is
in the wrong place...

Old July 17th 05, 06:54 PM
toller

I tried to try it, but my switches aren't like that.
The rear wiper is above the heat. I tried holding the wiper and washer in,
but nothing happened.
The front wiper is on an arm coming out from the steering column. I tried
that also, but no luck.

Thanks anyhow.

Old July 17th 05, 08:15 PM
Mike

"toller" > wrote in message
> My wife's Grand Caravan (2001) A/C isn't working properly. She get warm
> air out of the driver's side vents, and slightly cool air out the the
> passenge side vents. She finally figured out to close the drivers vents
> and directed the other at her. Doesn't work well, but at least it is
> better.
>
> What could this be? It seems to me that the heating vent on the driver's
> side must be partly open. Does that make sense, or is there a better
> explanation.
>
> Thanks.

Bet you have the dual zone system. Check to see if your A/C system is
low on freon. If you have rear A/C, check for a leak were the rear lines go
up through the floor to the rear evaporator. You can see the lines from
under the vehicle just behind the right rear tire.

Old July 17th 05, 08:22 PM
danny burstein

In > "toller" > writes:

>I tried to try it, but my switches aren't like that.
>The rear wiper is above the heat. I tried holding the wiper and washer in,
>but nothing happened.

Are the buttons arranged in an "L" shape? The ones
to hold in, once you've turned on the AC, are the
top and bottom ones in the "I" portion
on the left side f the L.

Hold tem for about ten seconds until
all the button lights start flasing.

Problem starting car - No spark The Outlander Ford Mustang 11 July 20th 05 01:35 AM
2003 Accord Radio Display Problem Mike Honda 41 July 13th 05 04:32 PM
Weird clutch problem on '86 Nissan pickup (4wd) [email protected] Technology 1 June 17th 05 10:34 AM
Weird idle problem M Technology 0 January 17th 05 07:21 PM
Weird Brake Problem (Follow up to "Spongy Brakes") EggRaid BMW 3 December 16th 04 10:30 AM