Jammed Tailgate

Old July 8th 05, 12:26 AM
Peter Pontbriand

Default Jammed Tailgate

1998 ZJ - Tailgate was closed on a nylon strap right where the latch is. Now
the tailgate won't open even when a pry bar is used to apply some persuasion
while the latch handle is pulled out. Anybody have any good ideas before I
break out my grinder with zip disk in frustration?

/Peter

Old July 8th 05, 12:41 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

The only thing I can think of is you slammed the door shut, so I
would have someone pulling it open, while another throws a bag of cement
at it from inside. Or whatever you think will work as a battering ram.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old July 8th 05, 12:51 AM
Mike Romain

If you could maybe get something flat in there like a wonderbar to pry
up from the inside while it was pulled and/or pushed on.....????

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old July 8th 05, 01:13 AM
DougW

Peter Pontbriand did pass the time by typing:
> 1998 ZJ - Tailgate was closed on a nylon strap right where the latch is. Now
> the tailgate won't open even when a pry bar is used to apply some persuasion
> while the latch handle is pulled out. Anybody have any good ideas before I
> break out my grinder with zip disk in frustration?

I'd try having someone press with thier feet from the inside. Not sure
but check under the bumper to see if the strike is held in with nuts on
the underside. You can almost rule out going through the inside plastic
as there isn't much you can get ahold of.. but if you can get the inside
plastic off (watch the edges, they are razor sharp) you could unbolt the
latch and open the door that way.

rotsaruck

--
DougW

Old July 8th 05, 01:49 AM
Howard

Try unbolting the hinges then lift the gate up and out? The shop
manual shows the hinge bolts as facing down and hidden under the
plastic trim. the hinges appear to be the nutplates. Good luck and
let us know what works.

Old July 8th 05, 01:02 PM
Peter Pontbriand

It seems that all that was needed was a woman's touch. My wife went out this
morning and tried to open the tailgate. It happily obliged immediately. Now
all I've got to do is touch up the paint where all my forceful tool-wielding
was fruitlessly applied last night ...

/Peter

oups.com...

Old July 8th 05, 07:55 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

She must have been raised on old Fords, where when their latches
are worn out, we must first push in to release the over center tension
on the lock.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old July 8th 05, 08:22 PM
Peter Pontbriand

Hmm. No old Fords in her history that I know of.

I'm sure all my strenuous efforts loosened it for her. If I had tried it
myself one more time, it would have worked I'm sure. Just like the jam jar
that no amount of artery-bursting twisting will open being handed to some
else who opens it first try ...

/Peter

Old July 8th 05, 10:39 PM
reconair

I hate it when that happens.

Scott
91YJ

Old July 8th 05, 11:07 PM
Matt Macchiarolo

That's her revenge for all the jelly and pickle jars over the years....

Tailgate latch replacement Thom Jeep 4 January 15th 05 10:30 AM
Jimmy tailgate stuck Jimmy1990 4x4 4 November 11th 04 08:33 PM
HELP: 2001 wagon tailgate locks constantly Gabe Saturn 2 October 27th 04 02:47 PM
Tailgate locks Richard Gagnon 4x4 18 February 26th 04 05:03 AM