99 Caravan 3.3 starter not turning every time key is turned

Old May 2nd 06, 01:26 AM posted to alt.autos.dodge

Default 99 Caravan 3.3 starter not turning every time key is turned

I can try to start this thing up and I can hear a relay click and the fuel
pump running for a second, but the starter doesn't turn. I can bump it
several times and usually it will crank eventually, but today it took over
an hour to for my wife to get it started. Has anyone run across this with
the Caravan before? Only things I can think of is the starter is sticking
when it is in a certain rotational position, the contacts on the relay I'm
hearing are burnt, or maybe the key switch has a problem? Everything else
seems ok. Battery cranks the starter quickly. Lights, and all other bells
and whistles are bright so I don't believe its a battery problem. Acts like
a connection problem or a starter sticking. Any opinions are welcome. Thank
you in advance.
Brian

Old May 2nd 06, 10:03 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge

--

"Brian O" > wrote in message
> I can try to start this thing up and I can hear a relay click and the fuel
> pump running for a second, but the starter doesn't turn. I can bump it
> several times and usually it will crank eventually, but today it took over
> an hour to for my wife to get it started. Has anyone run across this with
> the Caravan before? Only things I can think of is the starter is sticking
> when it is in a certain rotational position, the contacts on the relay I'm
> hearing are burnt, or maybe the key switch has a problem? Everything else
> seems ok. Battery cranks the starter quickly. Lights, and all other bells
> and whistles are bright so I don't believe its a battery problem. Acts

like
> a connection problem or a starter sticking. Any opinions are welcome.

Thank
> you in advance.
> Brian

The starter contacts are burnt up, this problem has been occurring for a
period and you kept putting it off until the contacts are almost gone.
Replace the starter is your option

Glenn Beasley
Chrysler Tech

Old May 8th 06, 01:03 AM posted to alt.autos.dodge

I had the same problem with my 95 voyager, at first I replaced it with one
from the junkyard it happen again a month later. took both of them to an
starter/alternator shop. it was the contact on both of them, you can heard
the relay clicking but the contact are to worn to send power to the stater.

Old May 8th 06, 04:29 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge

"Brian O" > wrote in message
>I can try to start this thing up and I can hear a relay click and the fuel
> pump running for a second, but the starter doesn't turn. I can bump it
> several times and usually it will crank eventually, but today it took over
> an hour to for my wife to get it started. Has anyone run across this with
> the Caravan before? Only things I can think of is the starter is sticking
> when it is in a certain rotational position, the contacts on the relay I'm
> hearing are burnt, or maybe the key switch has a problem? Everything else
> seems ok. Battery cranks the starter quickly. Lights, and all other bells
> and whistles are bright so I don't believe its a battery problem. Acts
> like
> a connection problem or a starter sticking. Any opinions are welcome.
> Thank
> you in advance.
> Brian

Interesting answers, but on mine the fix was to put your foot on the brake,
shift to neutral, and then back to park, and then try starting it.

Heck of a lot cheaper than digging out the starter!!!

Good luck. I've had to do this twice in 2 years...