How much aeration needed?

Old January 31st 06, 04:23 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.misc,rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants,alt.aquaria

Default How much aeration needed?

Elaine T wrote,
BGA loves a quiet spot, like between the glass and
the gravel!

I battled with that stuff for 3 years in my outside pond. Last summer I
figured it out; High levels of DOC, very low nitrAte levels and low O2
levels due to poor water currents = (cyanobacteria) BGA. I rebuilt the
pond - it now has a 1' wide X 1'deep plant shelf around it before it
drops to its 5' center, installed a DIY 50' hose filter around the
outside wall of the plant shelf for water current and added nitrAte to
10ppm.

I'm going pretty low on the
iron ferts outdoors right now because nothing is growing very fast.

Might want to test the nitrAte level also. As my nitrAte level drops,
the plants stop growing and algaes tend to start growing. Untill I put
the DIY hose filter in the pond, I used to get BBA (black beard algae).
I figured it was due to high phosphates (fish waste and uneaten foods)
so I guess the DIY hose filter (perforated garden hose filled with hose
cleaning brushs with a pump on one end) is now giving enough breakdown
time needed for the bacteria to break down the DOCs - no more BBA and
the water doesn't turn yellow......... Frank

Old February 10th 11, 07:03 PM
sshaunwatson sshaunwatson is offline
Junior Member

You need enough to make your fish very difficult to comb and / or puffy Surface, the highest in the middle of the night when the oxygen demand, The lowest yield.