undercoating

Old March 5th 05, 11:36 PM

Default undercoating

my rubicon hasnt arrived yet but my dealership was preparing my
paperwork so that we could get everything done in advance. he asked if
i wanted the undercoating/detail for $162. he said they undercoat the
entire undercarraige and then detail/wax the jeep. i dont care about
the waxing part, but im wondering if the undercoat they do is worth
doing or if its a waste of $162. thanks.

Nathan W. Collier
http://7SlotGrille.com
http://UtilityOffRoad.com

Old March 6th 05, 12:03 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Hi Sandman,
I'd would let them do it. Maybe quiz the guy that will be doing it,
to make sure he doesn't spray any of the cases causing any overheating
problem that will destroy their lubricants. Making sure he doesn't close
any body drain holes. And look, Daimler doesn't bother to paint the
undercarriage: http://7slotgrille.com/tech/sye2/index.html
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

http://7SlotGrille.com

Old March 6th 05, 12:07 AM
Dave Milne

I wouldn't.
I wouldn't trust any numpty ( Scottish word for idiot) wax my car for fear
they would use a rotary buffer and leave swirl marks. And getting your
underbody properly waxoyled costs a hell of a lot more than $162 over here -
can't see them spending the time to do it properly.

Dave Milne, Scotland
'91 Grand Wagoneer, '99 TJ
ups.com...

Old March 6th 05, 12:10 AM
Dave Lee

My buddy is the former head mechanic at a now defunct Pontiac dealer,and he
said it was a big money maker for the dealer. It was the Rusty Jones stuff
way back when, maybe 25years or so.
. uk...

Old March 6th 05, 12:25 AM
DougW

montanajeeper did pass the time by typing:
> my rubicon hasnt arrived yet but my dealership was preparing my
> paperwork so that we could get everything done in advance. he asked if
> i wanted the undercoating/detail for $162. he said they undercoat the
> entire undercarraige and then detail/wax the jeep. i dont care about
> the waxing part, but im wondering if the undercoat they do is worth
> doing or if its a waste of $162. thanks.

IMHO, a waste of money.
Cars come factory undercoated and in several cases adding
addional undercoating voids the factory rust warantee.
Besides which, all they do is rattle-can on undercoating you
could do yourself for $30 or less.

As for waxing, that's pure bull****. The dealer should detail
your car for delivery as a part of the service. Seriously, clean
it yourself, that way some lowbuck trainee doesn't scratch the
paint before you can.

--
DougW

Old March 6th 05, 01:55 AM
twaldron

Damn, Nathan. waxing is part of Dealer Prep and is included in the MSRP.
As far as undercoating, if I _was_ going to do it, I'd do it myself.

http://7SlotGrille.com
> http://UtilityOffRoad.com

tw

71 Bill Stroppe Baja Bronco
03 TJ Rubicon - Rubicon Express 4.5"
01 XJ Sport

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."
-- Dave Barry

Pronunciation: 'jEp
Function: noun
Date: 1940

Etymology: from g. p. (G= 'Government' P= '80 inch wheelbase')
A small general-purpose motor vehicle with 80-inch wheelbase,
1/4-ton capacity, and four-wheel drive used by the U.S. army in
World War II.

(Please remove the OBVIOUS to reply by email)
Old March 6th 05, 02:41 AM
Nathan W. Collier

"twaldron" > wrote in message
m...
> waxing is part of Dealer Prep and is included in the MSRP.

i dont think that applies if youre paying green sheet. they even charge you
$15 for the gas that comes in the tank, undertandably.

> As far as undercoating, if I _was_ going to do it, I'd do it myself.

ive often wondered why people rhino line the inside of their tubs. would
make more sense to me to rhino line the under side of the tub.

--
Nathan W. Collier
http://7SlotGrille.com

Old March 6th 05, 04:00 AM
mabar

My '02 TJ has a LOT of undercarriage rust. Of course, Cleveland Ohio winters
and TONS of salt on the roads don't help. I think I am going to have my next
new vehicle undercoated by Ziebart. Do you have a Ziebart near you Nathan?
If so, you might want to talk to them first, before making a decision.

http://www.ziebart.com/prodServicesMain.htm

I would NOT trust the dealer to do a proper job.

Tom

Old March 6th 05, 05:26 AM
Matt Macchiarolo

keep in mind that since you have snow all winter (as do I) your TJ will see
salted roads all winter, as does mine. Bill's pictures are referring to a TJ
that had already seen 4 Michigan winters when those pics were taken. If the
undercoating has gaps or open bubbles, salt will collect in those spots. My
advice, skip the undercoating and power-wash the underside of the Jeep every
month in winter.

http://7SlotGrille.com

Old March 6th 05, 05:38 AM
Nathan W. Collier

"Matt Macchiarolo" > wrote in message
> keep in mind that since you have snow all winter (as do I) your TJ will
> see salted roads all winter

im lucky in that respect. montana doesnt use salt, instead they put out
dirt and gravel.

> skip the undercoating and power-wash the underside of the Jeep every month
> in winter.

definately. ive always washed my undercarraige with more care than my body
panels. im working on installing a floor drain in my garage for that very
reason.

--
Nathan W. Collier
http://7SlotGrille.com