Service column lock?

Old May 31st 05, 08:09 PM
yar

Default Service column lock?

Hi

The battery on my 2001 c5 vette was flat today and now I have the error
message "Service the column lock".

I did have the car serviced a few weeks ago and the safety recall for the
lock was completed at that time.

Thoughts please.

PS I live in the UK and answers are not so easy to get here

Old May 31st 05, 11:06 PM
aRKay

In article >,
"yar" > wrote:

> Hi
>
> The battery on my 2001 c5 vette was flat today and now I have the error
> message "Service the column lock".
>
> I did have the car serviced a few weeks ago and the safety recall for the
> lock was completed at that time.
>
> Thoughts please.
>
> PS I live in the UK and answers are not so easy to get here

For two years I blamed the Column Lock for getting the remove key and
wait ten minutes message in the DIC. The tech at my dealer finally
figured out I had a bad key. They replaced the key and I have never
seen the problem again.

Try your spare.
Old June 1st 05, 05:53 PM
tater

"yar" > wrote in message
> Hi
>
> The battery on my 2001 c5 vette was flat today and now I have the error
> message "Service the column lock".
>
> I did have the car serviced a few weeks ago and the safety recall for the
> lock was completed at that time.

Is your car a six speed? If so they did not fix the lock problem.They only
re-program the computer
so it will not run when the steering lock is engaged.
If your spare key does not work and you are sure you have good battery
power then there is only one of two options to do.
Keep paying the dealer for the same repair or do what I and others have done
and order the lock by-pass.
The job took me under 40 minutes to do and it is working great.
here is a link to order( I did my research and they have a better kit ,and
the best price also )
Hope this helps.
Mike
http://www.corvettesofhouston.com/index.php?cPath=29_42

P.S. Low voltage will cause the stering lock to not disengage properly

Old June 1st 05, 10:52 PM
RicSeyler

Cheers to ya for driving a Vette in the UK. :-)

One of my best buddies is from Wakefield and now
lives here (Florida). She ships in Cooper Minis and sells them
across the country on EBay... The Mini guys seem to love the
right hand drive Coopers.

--
Ric Seyler
Online Racing: RicSeyler