Belt-like squeak when clutch is out

Old June 1st 05, 06:09 PM
Joe

Default Belt-like squeak when clutch is out

I have a 98 Isuzu Rodeo (I know, wrong group, but I can't find a good
Isuzu one. Besides Isuzu made the Passports, so surely I'm close
enough).

Whenever the engine is running and the clutch is out, a repeating
squeak can be heard as if a belt is slightly loose or needs lubing.
Pressing the cluch causes it to go away even if just idling in neutral.
I sprayed the serpentine belt with some lube, but it didn't make a
difference.

Any ideas as to what I can do to fix it?

Old June 1st 05, 09:22 PM
Abeness

Joe wrote:
> I sprayed the serpentine belt with some lube

You DID? Wouldn't that just make the belt slip and thereby reduce power
transmission to the various items it powers?
Old June 1st 05, 09:39 PM
Joe

Yeah, I seriously questioned that myself, but the guy who recommended
trying it was a mechanic by trade, so I tried it. Needless to say,
since he had no idea what was causing the squeak in the first place, he
might want to consider another trade.

Old June 1st 05, 10:20 PM
Abeness

Joe wrote:
> Yeah, I seriously questioned that myself, but the guy who recommended
> trying it was a mechanic by trade, so I tried it. Needless to say,
> since he had no idea what was causing the squeak in the first place, he
> might want to consider another trade.

LOL! I'd seriously question any mechnic that would recommend spraying
lube on something that's supposed to grip. How you're supposed to undo
that... Hopefully it will burn off eventually. Just don't spray brake
cleaner on the belt. <g> Maybe soap & water?
Old June 2nd 05, 06:21 AM
justinreigle (at) gmail (dot) com

Not only will it slip, but count on the belt wearing more quickly too
since petrol distillates will screw up the rubber.

At any rate, that mechanic sounds like a crock.

- Justin

Old June 2nd 05, 02:09 PM
TeGGeR®

Abeness > wrote in :

> Joe wrote:
>> Yeah, I seriously questioned that myself, but the guy who recommended
>> trying it was a mechanic by trade, so I tried it. Needless to say,
>> since he had no idea what was causing the squeak in the first place, he
>> might want to consider another trade.

> LOL! I'd seriously question any mechnic that would recommend spraying
> lube on something that's supposed to grip. How you're supposed to undo
> that... Hopefully it will burn off eventually. Just don't spray brake
> cleaner on the belt. <g> Maybe soap & water?

Has anyone considered that the OP may be misunderstanding BELT DRESSING as
"lubricant"?

No professional mechanic I've ever encountered, no matter how stupid, would
use "lubricant" on a friction belt.

I *can* see less-than-knowledgeable laymen mixing up the two terms.

--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old June 2nd 05, 03:27 PM
M.Paul

Throwout bearings usually talk when the clutch pedal is pressed in.
Sounds like a pilot bearing to me.
M.Paul

Old June 2nd 05, 03:35 PM
SoCalMike

TeGGeR® wrote:
> Abeness > wrote in :
>

>>Joe wrote:
>>
>>>Yeah, I seriously questioned that myself, but the guy who recommended
>>>trying it was a mechanic by trade, so I tried it. Needless to say,
>>>since he had no idea what was causing the squeak in the first place, he
>>>might want to consider another trade.

>>LOL! I'd seriously question any mechnic that would recommend spraying
>>lube on something that's supposed to grip. How you're supposed to undo
>>that... Hopefully it will burn off eventually. Just don't spray brake
>>cleaner on the belt. <g> Maybe soap & water?

> Has anyone considered that the OP may be misunderstanding BELT DRESSING as
> "lubricant"?
>
> No professional mechanic I've ever encountered, no matter how stupid, would
> use "lubricant" on a friction belt.
>
> I *can* see less-than-knowledgeable laymen mixing up the two terms.

isnt "belt dressing" just a stopgap measure to hide a problem? ISTR it
contains petroleum distillates, which cant really be good for the belts.
Old June 2nd 05, 04:12 PM
Abeness

TeGGeR® wrote:
> Has anyone considered that the OP may be misunderstanding BELT DRESSING as
> "lubricant"?

I haven't--what's belt dressing?
Old June 2nd 05, 06:47 PM
Abeness

Abeness wrote:
> I haven't--what's belt dressing?

Never mind. I grew another brain cell and googled for it... |-O

What now?? (Clutch slave again) Eric Jeep 11 May 29th 05 06:38 AM
Clutch slipping. Clutch cyl or need a new clutch bobbob1015 BMW 6 May 21st 05 12:19 AM
Clutch noise and belt Pat Mazda 3 April 6th 05 02:48 AM
Wrong Clutch Fork? Michael White Jeep 6 February 8th 05 03:33 AM
Belt squeak? DrMega Jeep 5 January 13th 05 02:21 AM