Just to let everyone know

Old May 23rd 05, 01:28 PM
Patrick Ô¿Ô

She loves the color of mud, she almost cried when we gave them the keys to
my 02. Yellow and mud go good together, now to just find out what kaki and
mud look like.

Patrick
Ô¿Ô

Old May 24th 05, 01:17 AM
jbjeep

Now...all she has to do is get the keys away from you! =)

Old May 25th 05, 03:24 AM
Patrick Ô¿Ô

Good thing for me is she cant drive a stick :-). Got it in the mud today,
found out first thing to buy for it is a winch. I did the stupid thing and
stoped in mud, wanted to test the tires, not as good as I hoped. Went and
got one of the tractors to pull it out, and got it stuck too. Had to get a
second tractor to push the first to take slack off tow strap, then had to
use chain and lengthen everything. Second tractor is new, so had better
tires. It pulled it out without much trouble. Kaki does look pretty good
with mud. Now I just have to wait until next weekend to see how it does on
dry trails. Already have 500 miles on it and Love It.

Patrick
Ô¿Ô

Old May 25th 05, 02:14 PM
Mike Romain

I highly recommend a Come-A-Long as your first winch:
http://www.cvfsupplycompany.com/hanpowpulcom.html

These are inexpensive and 'normally' will work anytime, anywhere. even
if you get a powered winch after, they do die and wear out at the worst
of times, so I always have and recommend others have the hand winch
along as backup.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old May 25th 05, 03:12 PM
Stephen Cowell

"Mike Romain" > wrote in message
> I highly recommend a Come-A-Long as your first winch:
> http://www.cvfsupplycompany.com/hanpowpulcom.html
>
> These are inexpensive and 'normally' will work anytime, anywhere. even
> if you get a powered winch after, they do die and wear out at the worst
> of times, so I always have and recommend others have the hand winch
> along as backup.

Bad thing about come-alongs.. you have to be there, in
the midst of it, cranking on it.... not a safe position.

Be sure to put a blanket, jacket, *something* across
the long cable span when pulling... this is common
knowlege around here... just CYA.
__
Steve
..

Old May 25th 05, 07:25 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Ditto.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old May 25th 05, 07:28 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

http://www.jonfund.com/technical/tec.../winchtech.pdf
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old May 26th 05, 12:25 AM
Dave Milne

I'm with Steve - those things are f*king lethal - no way are their ratings
real. Buy something decent like a griphoist/tirfor or whatever you call them
your side of the pond, and you will see what their interpretation of a 1.5-3
ton winch is ; a lot bigger.

You can't avoid being near those come-along things, and they don't obey the
number one rule of winch design; i.e. the rope is NOT the weakest link.

Dave Milne, Scotland
'91 Grand Wagoneer, '99 TJ

Old May 26th 05, 01:06 AM
Mike Romain

I have broken the wire rope on a Come Along trying to get my Chevy 1/2
ton out of a farm field. I was sunk to the axles imbedded and the wire
rope snapped. I had a floor mat over it and it fell.

I have seen them used and have used them a whole pile of times and
consider them pretty well mannered.

There are lots of cheap knock off types out there though. I try to buy
the real ones.....

Mike

Old May 26th 05, 01:17 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Hi Dave,
I've never had a bad experience with them other than the cheap ones
their handles bend, making them useless. This one on the left I got from
an San Diego Gas & Electric employee in their tool a month club:
http://www.billhughes.com/chaintightener.jpg I do treat it with respect
covering it with a carpet remits, while pulling a dead pine tree in the
back yard bank over: http://www.billhughes.com/pineTree.jpg
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O