Trailer Towing With T&C?

Old January 21st 05, 09:15 PM
Richard Minami

Default Trailer Towing With T&C?

Hi! Anyone have any experience towing a fairly heavy tent trailer with one
of the newer model Chrysler Town and Countrys? I'm thinking of replacing
our poor gas mileage Ford Explorer for one of the new '05 T&Cs. They sure
look nice! Our trailer is about 2,800 lbs loaded. Specs say it can tow
3,800. Does it have a lot of get-up-and-go? And how does the trailer
track? Pretty nice? Your input would be much appreciated. Thanks!

--

Richard Minami

Old January 22nd 05, 11:14 PM
jdoe

I tow a boat with our 99 T&C Ltd. 3.8. The rig weighs out about 1000 lbs. I
also own a Suburban (98 with 5.7 V8 and 4wd) Oddly enough while towing with
the 'burb from NW IL to central MN the van will get worse mileage than the
'burb will or very close. Unloaded on this trip the 'burb will get 16 to 18
depending on weather and speed. Loaded it will get exactly the same. The van
will run avg. 21 to 22 unloaded on this trip and 15 to 16 loaded. Loaded
meaning with boat. The little V6 takes a pretty hard "hit" while towing.
The good part is it's VERY stable and I've never had a worry while dragging
it. It stops fine too. It does get sluggish though (hence the mileage hit)
while the 'burb goes about it's business like it wasn't there.
I've known more than one person who got rid of a Tahoe/Yukon/'Burb and got
explorers or sport tracks (explorer truck?) and were amazed at how thirsty
they are and wished for their full size V8 'burbs back.
If you do go the van route I can tell you as a vehicle the T&C is superior
to anything from Ford (even GM for that matter) just make sure you get the
trailer prep group.
Larry

Old January 25th 05, 12:48 AM
Richard Minami

Thanks for your input. It's most helpful!
I think the 2005 T&Cs have 215 HP and 245 lb-ft of torque. Sure sounds like
a lot! My Explorer has only 160 HP and 220 lb-ft. I wonder how much
different it would drive? I guess your 'burb has plenty of power to spare!
I often wonder what towing our little trailer would be like behind my
father-in-law's F250, with the 7.4 liter diesel?! I'd probably forget it
was even back there! Anyway, thanks again for your input.
Rich