Jeep Wagoneer Stumbling Problem

Old July 2nd 05, 07:04 AM

Default Jeep Wagoneer Stumbling Problem

Ok so heres whats going on...
I have an 87 4.0 Wagoneer. It has been sitting outside unused for about
a year. I decided to got it out to take a spin in it yesterday, and
noticed that it will not rev over about 2,500 RPM. It almost instantly
dies. It will also stumble and sputter when I try to accelerate
moderately hard. It seems to me as though it's starving for gas... thus
leading me to believe the fuel pump has taken a dump. Are my
assumptions correct? Or is something else causing the problem? Thanks!
Gary

Old July 2nd 05, 07:21 AM
Rusted

Is the fuel a year old as well? I would start with a new fuel filter
because that is easier and cheaper and go from there. Seems like fuel pumps
either work or they don't work, I have never had one semi work.

oups.com...

Old July 2nd 05, 07:32 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

You've never prayed hard enough to get home.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old July 2nd 05, 07:42 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Hi Gary,
I would guess you also need a carburetor kit, too. Usually over a
year period the gasoline will evaporate, drying the accelerator pump
plunger, and shrinking the gaskets, causing them to leak between
galleys, plus a little corrosion usually forms clogging the jets. And
was the bad pump the reason it was parked in the first place?
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old July 3rd 05, 05:21 AM

Well, this isn't the carburated version... I went out and bought a fuel
filter today and it made a considerable difference. It seemed better,
but it still has a flat spot. It seems like it gets better and it gets
worse. Any ideas on that? Haha.
Thanks,
Gary

Old July 3rd 05, 05:26 AM

And no the supposidly bad fuel pump was not the reason it was parked in
the first place. It was a bad starter.