OT - Struts

Old March 11th 05, 09:57 PM
Jeff Strickland

And that is the part that is beside the point.

The failure mode is that the strut can't control tire bounce anymore, just
as the failure point of a shock is that it can't control tire bounce. The
fact that the suspension is the strut is beside the point, Captain.

"L.W. (ßill) Hughes III" > wrote in message
> Thank you. This is the part I believed you did realize, and keep
> blowing off: "The strut
> also is a major suspension component."
> God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
> http://www.billhughes.com/
>
> Jeff Strickland wrote:
> >
> > When the struts fail, the affect is identical to the failure of a shock.

The
> > resulting tire wear looks a certain way, and it looks the same way - for

all
> > practical purposes - regardless of whether the car is fitted with shocks

or
> > struts.
> >
> > You are talking about the tires falling off the car, I am talking about

the
> > tires bouncing. Bouncing happens with shocks or struts. Falling off

never
> > happens.
> >
> > The question was, (paraphrasing here) "Why are my tires worn out and the
> > struts are to blame?" I answered that question, and included the

reference
> > to shocks because for some strange reason some people grasp the job of a
> > shock but fail to grasp the idea that a strut does the same thing. The

strut

Old March 11th 05, 11:03 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Yes, just as the Libby's ball failure would no longer control it's
wheel: http://www.detnews.com/2003/autosins...tos-319372.htm
Strut failu http://members.home.nl/mk2/ext/11.jpg
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old March 12th 05, 04:50 AM
Lon

Ben proclaimed:

> I was getting the oil changed in my Saturn at this tire shop and I was told
> by the Tech that the struts where shot and they were shredding the tires.. I
> have never heard of that before... Can someone help me on that one? I know
> it isn't a Jeep question, but I thought that the shredding tire thing was
> interesting...

If you have an alignment problem, it can harm the tires. The
resulting tread wear patterns are very distinctive. Crapped out
shocks tend to cup the tire treads. You should be able to see
this yourself. Or ask a tire shop that does *not* sell struts.
Old March 12th 05, 04:53 AM
Lon

Jeff Strickland proclaimed:

> We understand that completely, but is not part of the question.
>
> The tires wear because the struts or the shocks are worn, allowing the tires
> to bounce in a harmonic pattern that results in cupping along the edges of
> the tires.

Except of course where it is a strut and is therefore also the front
suspension point, and can cause feathering in exactly the same manner
as any other worn front non-shock style suspension wear.

It would be interesting to know if the shop also sells strut jobs...

Old March 12th 05, 11:58 PM
wkearney99

> When the struts fail, the affect is identical to the failure of a shock.

No, when the shock assembly inside the strut fails it's identical. A strut
failure

Old March 14th 05, 07:58 PM
Jeff Strickland

"L.W. (ßill) Hughes III" > wrote in message
> Yes, just as the Libby's ball failure would no longer control it's
> wheel: http://www.detnews.com/2003/autosins...tos-319372.htm
> Strut failu http://members.home.nl/mk2/ext/11.jpg

Amazingly, these too are beside the point.

Old March 14th 05, 07:59 PM
Jeff Strickland

"wkearney99" > wrote in message
> > When the struts fail, the affect is identical to the failure of a shock.

> No, when the shock assembly inside the strut fails it's identical. A

strut
> failure

That is the only failure of a strut that I have ever seen, except for a bent
strut that got that way from Curb Hunting.

Old March 14th 05, 09:00 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Jeff! How many times do I have point out the subject
line?????????????????????????????????
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old March 15th 05, 05:51 PM
Jeff Strickland

How many times do I have to point out the actual question that asks how TIRE
WEAR can be related to struts. The single most likely cause of tire wear and
struts is that the strut looses it's shock absorber quality.

Old March 15th 05, 07:52 PM
Motorhead Lawyer

L=2EW. Hughes III (=DFill) wrote:
> Yes, just as the Libby's ball failure would no longer control it's
> wheel:

http://www.detnews.com/2003/autosins...tos-319372.htm
> Strut failu http://members.home.nl/mk2/ext/11.jpg

Bill, that's not a photo of a strut *failure*, it's a photo of a strut
*unbolted*. Did you miss all those holes that hold 17mm (usually)
bolts?

I've seen McPherson strut suspensions go through an awful lot,
including *spring perch collapse*, but no failure of the strut itself
has ever caused a steering loss that I've seen. The top bearing can
fail (although they usually just bind up and make steering very hard or
break up and clunk a lot) and a bottom ball joint can fail (which *can*
be serious), but the failure of the shock absorber or insert just
doesn't have the effect you imagine it does. You probably see dozens
of cars every day with 'shot struts'.
--
C=2ER. Krieger
(Been there; done that)

01 intrepid struts Matt T Chrysler 7 February 4th 05 10:10 PM
Bilstein Touring vs HD Struts Raybender BMW 5 January 14th 05 07:52 PM
Replacing Struts on a 1995 Olds Cutlass [email protected] Technology 2 December 24th 04 04:07 PM
Replacing struts on 2001 Accord LX V-6 George Earl Honda 4 October 27th 04 02:59 AM
Need some advise on replacing struts on SL2 James1549 Saturn 1 June 25th 04 11:48 AM