new rear diff, possible?

Old February 23rd 05, 08:44 PM
Steve

Scratch the surface to see.

http://jeep.avtograd.ru/Grand_Cherok.../Dana44_crack/

Steve
http://xjeep.dyndns.org

Old February 23rd 05, 08:50 PM
Jerry Bransford

Maybe they switched to the cast iron version for the V8 models. The
4.0L equipped JGCs sure have aluminum D44 housings.

Jerry

--
Jerry Bransford
PP-ASEL N6TAY
Old February 23rd 05, 09:27 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

It was the ZJs that Chrysler assembled Dana's 44 ring and pinion in
an aluminum case with "C" clips:
http://www.off-road.com/jeep/tech/axle/d44.html Use a magnet to make
sure.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old February 23rd 05, 09:36 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

The Vari-Lok is remotely hydraulically (?) operated, so it's going
be tied in the computers that monitor the Anti-lock Brake System. I
don't think it's possible, like you could buy the whole car complete for
the cost of conversion.
http://web.archive.org/web/200403222.../chero4wd.html
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old February 23rd 05, 11:01 PM
Steve

The speed sensing gerotor pump is fully contained in the differential
and uses the diff oil to engage the clutches in response to pressure
differences. It's 100% mechanical with no remote electronic or hydraulic
control.

Incidentally, the 2005 Grand does away with Vari-Lok (except as a 2wd
option) and introduces an electronically controlled system for all three
diffs.

The Vari-Lok name is a Jeep thing. It's actually a Dana Spicer
Hydra-Lok, also found in the Dodge Viper.

Steve
http://xjeep.dyndns.org

Old February 23rd 05, 11:17 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Hi Steve,
Interesting. I was just guessing from the picture you found for us:
http://www.wjjeeps.com/varilok.jpg Looks like it has a connection pipe
to run outside the case, something like ARB would use:
http://www.adventurer.com.au/images/2nd_level/arb3.gif
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old February 24th 05, 10:34 PM
Grand Jeep

Good idea with the magnet. The main housing appears to be aluminum, as my
magnet did not stick. But the cover (bolted on at the rear of the diff)
appears to be metal. Dang aluminum!!

Old February 24th 05, 10:36 PM
Grand Jeep

So from what you're saying, I should be able to swap out the standard diff
gears with the vari-lok and everything should fit?

Also, I called around to some local 4x4 shops and got quoted about 600-800
dollars for a new limited-slip unit (purchased and installed) One mentioned
it was an actual DANA limited slip diff that designed for D-44 axles???

Old February 24th 05, 10:47 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

BUMMER!!!!!!!
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old February 25th 05, 12:01 AM
Steve

Grand Jeep wrote:
> So from what you're saying, I should be able to swap out the standard diff
> gears with the vari-lok and everything should fit?

Well, not quite everything. Found this parts site:

http://www.jeep4x4center.com/grand_c...eModel44WJ.htm

It is outdated and doesn't cover your model year, but it gives some
clues. Unfortunately it looks like you need new axle shafts for the
Vari-Lok. It also lists the Vari-Lok case as having either 3/8" or 7/16"
ring gear bolt holes, so you need to find out what ring gear bolts your
current differential has in order to reuse your ring & pinion gears.

> Also, I called around to some local 4x4 shops and got quoted about 600-800
> dollars for a new limited-slip unit (purchased and installed) One mentioned
> it was an actual DANA limited slip diff that designed for D-44 axles???

Probably talking about the Dana Trac-Lok. It was an OEM option on Grands
prior to 2002, so it should work with your axles, housing, and gears. It
uses friction clutch packs that need to be replaced periodically and it
doesn't perform as well as a Vari-Lok:

http://www.jedi.com/obiwan/jeep/traclok.html

Steve
http://xjeep.dyndns.org