I Was a Patient JLEDI Yesterday

Old September 11th 06, 05:45 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Ed White[_1_]

Default I Was a Patient JLEDI Yesterday

Scott en Aztlán wrote:

> Net loss: 30 seconds of my valuable time.
> Net gain: NOTHING.

Actaully in this case, I think waiting behind those clowns was a smart
move from a safety standpoint. If they were screwing around like you
described, they they were true MFFY people since their clowning around
was not only interfering with traffic, but actually creating a safety
hazard. A blast from your horn would not be inappropriate in this case
(assuming the facts are as you stated). I probably would not blow the
horn (I hate the extra noise), but I would understand it if you did it.

> So I gotta ask you JLEDIs: what's in it for you? What do you get in
> exchange for the time that you allow others to steal from you?

Let me turn the question around. What you you do with all the time you
save by being in such a hurry all the time?

> Do you
> get a warm fuzzy feeling inside? Do you feel better about yourself in
> some way? And what is it that stops you from defending yourself
> against those who would use you as their doormat?

If everyone in this world was a Hyper Type A person like you, the roads
would be a mess. Just entering a building would turn into a
competition. The bigger, stronger, and more arrogant a person is, the
more people they would feel enpowered to trample in an effort to save 2
seconds here or 15 seconds there. I can picture you raming little old
ladies out of your way in groceries stores becasue they are taking too
long to decide between Special K Regular and Red Berry, or becaue they
spend 2 seconds too long at the dairy case looking for the best
expiration date.

You brought up the Golden Rule in another thread. Think about what the
rule really means. And then ask yourself if you haven't at some point
in you life unecessarily held up another individual, even if it was
only inadvertently (and you might not even know you did it).

One of my favorite quotes is from the movie "Harvey." It is "Years ago
my mother used to say to me, she'd say, "In this world, Elwood, you
must be" - she always called me Elwood - "In this world, Elwood, you
must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant." Well, for years I was smart. I
recommend pleasant. You may quote me."

I recommend pleasant as well. And being polite helps too. I am not
alway pleasant, and I am not always polite, but at least I aspire to
be.

> What am I missing?

I think you are missing the fact that you are not special to most of
the people on Earth. You are missing the fact that most of us are not
out to get you. You are spending way too much time looking for the bad
in others.

Ed

Old September 11th 06, 05:57 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Jim Yanik

"Ed White" > wrote in
ps.com:

> Scott en Aztlán wrote:
>
>> Net loss: 30 seconds of my valuable time.
>> Net gain: NOTHING.

> Actaully in this case, I think waiting behind those clowns was a smart
> move from a safety standpoint. If they were screwing around like you
> described, they they were true MFFY people since their clowning around
> was not only interfering with traffic, but actually creating a safety
> hazard. A blast from your horn would not be inappropriate in this case
> (assuming the facts are as you stated). I probably would not blow the
> horn (I hate the extra noise), but I would understand it if you did it.

A toot from the horn might make them AWARE that you are behind them and
waiting on them,so they might decide to stop fooling around and move.
A "blast" might make them less likely to move,or draw you into the
situation.

>> So I gotta ask you JLEDIs: what's in it for you? What do you get in
>> exchange for the time that you allow others to steal from you?

> Let me turn the question around. What you you do with all the time you
> save by being in such a hurry all the time?

He posts his "MFFY" jpgs or clips to his site,then rants about them on RAD.
;-)

I see others here are noticing a trend.
IMO,someone who encounters so many "MFFY's" may be oversensitized.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Old September 11th 06, 07:04 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Ed White[_1_]

Jim Yanik wrote:

> > Actaully in this case, I think waiting behind those clowns was a smart
> > move from a safety standpoint. If they were screwing around like you
> > described, they they were true MFFY people since their clowning around
> > was not only interfering with traffic, but actually creating a safety
> > hazard. A blast from your horn would not be inappropriate in this case
> > (assuming the facts are as you stated). I probably would not blow the
> > horn (I hate the extra noise), but I would understand it if you did it.

> A toot from the horn might make them AWARE that you are behind them and
> waiting on them,so they might decide to stop fooling around and move.
> A "blast" might make them less likely to move,or draw you into the
> situation.

You are correct. "blast" is the wrong word for someone who aspies to be
polite. Your choise of "toot" is more in the spirit of what I was
thinking. Of course if you are 6'3" tall, 250 lbs, and driving an H1
with a gun rack full of guns, nobody is likely to argue if you blast
the horn at them. If you 5'0", 93 lbs and driving an original Honda
Civic, it might be better to leave the lot before they see you.

> >> So I gotta ask you JLEDIs: what's in it for you? What do you get in
> >> exchange for the time that you allow others to steal from you?

> > Let me turn the question around. What you you do with all the time you
> > save by being in such a hurry all the time?

> He posts his "MFFY" jpgs or clips to his site,then rants about them on RAD.
> ;-)
>

> I see others here are noticing a trend.
> IMO,someone who encounters so many "MFFY's" may be oversensitized.

I get the feeling that Scott sees most of us at MFFY's. If this is the
cae, you have to wonder about his prespective on life.

And I think Scott's claim that he was a patient JLEDI (whatever that
is) is an obviously false statement. Clearly he was not patient. There
is a different between being patient and angerly accepting the
inevitable.

Ed

Old September 11th 06, 10:10 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Dave Head

Ed White wrote:
> Jim Yanik wrote:
>
> > > Actaully in this case, I think waiting behind those clowns was a smart
> > > move from a safety standpoint. If they were screwing around like you
> > > described, they they were true MFFY people since their clowning around
> > > was not only interfering with traffic, but actually creating a safety
> > > hazard. A blast from your horn would not be inappropriate in this case
> > > (assuming the facts are as you stated). I probably would not blow the
> > > horn (I hate the extra noise), but I would understand it if you did it.

> > A toot from the horn might make them AWARE that you are behind them and
> > waiting on them,so they might decide to stop fooling around and move.
> > A "blast" might make them less likely to move,or draw you into the
> > situation.

> You are correct. "blast" is the wrong word for someone who aspies to be
> polite. Your choise of "toot" is more in the spirit of what I was
> thinking. Of course if you are 6'3" tall, 250 lbs, and driving an H1
> with a gun rack full of guns, nobody is likely to argue if you blast
> the horn at them. If you 5'0", 93 lbs and driving an original Honda
> Civic, it might be better to leave the lot before they see you.

> > > Let me turn the question around. What you you do with all the time you
> > > save by being in such a hurry all the time?

> > He posts his "MFFY" jpgs or clips to his site,then rants about them on RAD.
> > ;-)
> >

> > I see others here are noticing a trend.
> > IMO,someone who encounters so many "MFFY's" may be oversensitized.

> I get the feeling that Scott sees most of us at MFFY's. If this is the
> cae, you have to wonder about his prespective on life.
>
> And I think Scott's claim that he was a patient JLEDI (whatever that
> is) is an obviously false statement. Clearly he was not patient. There
> is a different between being patient and angerly accepting the
> inevitable.
>
> Ed

I think Scott was a patient JLEDI guy - its what you do, not what you
think. The medal of honor heroes are no less heros if they were
scared. They were heroes because of what they _did_, not how they felt
about it. Same principle here.

Dave Head

Old September 12th 06, 03:16 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Jim Yanik

"Dave Head" > wrote in
ups.com:

> Ed White wrote:

>> > A toot from the horn might make them AWARE that you are behind them
>> > and waiting on them,so they might decide to stop fooling around and
>> > move. A "blast" might make them less likely to move,or draw you
>> > into the situation.

>> You are correct. "blast" is the wrong word for someone who aspies to
>> be polite. Your choise of "toot" is more in the spirit of what I was
>> thinking. Of course if you are 6'3" tall, 250 lbs, and driving an H1
>> with a gun rack full of guns, nobody is likely to argue if you blast
>> the horn at them. If you 5'0", 93 lbs and driving an original Honda
>> Civic, it might be better to leave the lot before they see you.

>> > He posts his "MFFY" jpgs or clips to his site,then rants about them
>> > on RAD. ;-)
>> >

>> > I see others here are noticing a trend.
>> > IMO,someone who encounters so many "MFFY's" may be oversensitized.

>> I get the feeling that Scott sees most of us at MFFY's. If this is
>> the cae, you have to wonder about his prespective on life.
>>
>> And I think Scott's claim that he was a patient JLEDI (whatever that
>> is) is an obviously false statement. Clearly he was not patient.
>> There is a different between being patient and angerly accepting the
>> inevitable.
>>
>> Ed

> I think Scott was a patient JLEDI guy - its what you do, not what you
> think. The medal of honor heroes are no less heros if they were
> scared. They were heroes because of what they _did_, not how they
> felt about it. Same principle here.
>
> Dave Head

Perhaps Scott's admitted impatience colored his judgement about whether
they actually were being "MFFY".
The Horseplay in the parking lot was not to get ahead of anyone,nor for any
advantage over anyone else. Perhaps they would have stopped horsing around
and moved out if Scott had indicated his desire to pass. (with a brief horn
signal)
The other example of the person waiting to pick up a passenger clearly in
sight and moving to the waiting vehicle was similar;there probably was not
much time between when they backed out into the thrulane and when Scott
pulled out of his spot and wanted to get by them.

A question;is being clueless and unaware being "MFFY",or does it require
knowledge of "ME First"? And how long does the behavior have to last?

(also,the "FY" part of "MFFY" would indicate a knowledge of their
interference and still not caring.)

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Old September 12th 06, 06:00 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
gpsman

Scott en Aztlán wrote: <brevity snip>

> On the conmtrary: if everyone were like me, the roads here in American
> would resemble the Autobahn: everyone driving fast and safe, keeping
> right except to pass, not LLBing, merging properly, and generally
> staying out of each others' way.

Duh. You've obviously never driven on the 'Bahn. Everyone does not
drive fast, nor does everyone drive safe, nor KRETP, nor not LLB, nor
merge like they have a lick of sense.

> What you've described is classic MFFY behavior (Me First, **** You).
> The fact that you are attempting to characterize my behavior in that
> manner means you either haven't been reading my posts very closely or
> you are being purpousely disingenuous.

Pfft, yeah, right. I thought the video you posted and were so proud of
demonstrated how you drive, you don't have to "say" ****.

> The Golden Rule is something one aspires to, not one that one executes
> perfectly all the time. I'm sure I have inadvertently gotten in
> someone's way on more than one occasion, but doing so ACCIDENTALLY is
> a far cry from the MFFYs who do it ON PURPOSE.

Duh. You have no ****ing idea whose "way" you have gotten into... you
are totally clueless.

Perhaps the law abiding guy you left at the last light to wait another
cycle after you made it through because you were speeding and no right
to be to his front and occupy his space to begin with. Maybe not...
but you don't *know*. But that scenerio has surely occurred, and it
didn't happen "accidently".

> >You are spending way too much time looking for the bad in others.

> Actually, I spend ZERO time looking for it - it somehow manages to
> find ME.

Uh ayup, ayup, ayup... your camera notices it all by itself, and then
writes about it here.
-----

- gpsman