ac compressor pulley going bad

Old September 8th 06, 11:20 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
[email protected]

Default ac compressor pulley going bad

lets see. 95 GMC vandura 3500 w/ 454 engine. problem: i think my air
conditioner compressor pulley bearing is going bad. its making a fairly
loud metallic whirring noise with the engine running and feels like its
not lubricated when i spin it by hand altho it spins freely.
i saw a exploded view of a compressor unit that had a nut holding
the clutch hub on. mine doesnt have a nut, but i do see a "key" in
there.
i have a few questions i'd really appreciate the answers to:
(1) can i pull the hub off with a gear puller? is that how its
designed, just pressed on or should there be a nut there and its
missing?

(2) are there any internet sites where i might find an exploded view
of my air conditioning compressor?

(3) i'm not averse to just pulling the entire compressor assembly out
and replacing it with a "dummy" pulley. sorry, i dont know the proper
name. i assume such an item is available. is a dummy pulley a standard
item i can find at autoparts stores? i dont think i'm ready to try
to replace the compressor at this time. i need to be on the road soon
and will have more time later.

btw, i'm rather surprised "they" design a car that cant opperate just
because an air conditioning part broke.

i hope i get some replies. thanks. (and i apologize for the fake name).
john

Old September 8th 06, 11:45 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
jeffcoslacker[_112_]

Wrote:
> lets see. 95 GMC vandura 3500 w/ 454 engine. problem: i think my air
> conditioner compressor pulley bearing is going bad. its making a fairly
> loud metallic whirring noise with the engine running and feels like its
> not lubricated when i spin it by hand altho it spins freely.
> i saw a exploded view of a compressor unit that had a nut holding
> the clutch hub on. mine doesnt have a nut, but i do see a "key" in
> there.
> i have a few questions i'd really appreciate the answers to:
> (1) can i pull the hub off with a gear puller? is that how its
> designed, just pressed on or should there be a nut there and its
> missing?
>
> (2) are there any internet sites where i might find an exploded view
> of my air conditioning compressor?
>
> (3) i'm not averse to just pulling the entire compressor assembly out
> and replacing it with a "dummy" pulley. sorry, i dont know the proper
> name. i assume such an item is available. is a dummy pulley a standard
> item i can find at autoparts stores? i dont think i'm ready to try
> to replace the compressor at this time. i need to be on the road soon
> and will have more time later.
>
> btw, i'm rather surprised "they" design a car that cant opperate just
> because an air conditioning part broke.
>
> i hope i get some replies. thanks. (and i apologize for the fake name).
> john

It not an option to just skip the A/C pulley with a shorter belt?

I think you have to remove a seal and evacuate the system to replace
that bearing. And you'll need a GM A/C clutch tool, if it's like I'm
thinking.

If nothing else, throw a junkyard compressor ($30?) on it and go.
That's what I paid for the last radial R134 compressor I bought
salvage, off a '96 Sonoma...

--
jeffcoslacker
jeffcoslacker's Profile:

http://www.automotiveforums.com

Old September 9th 06, 12:51 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
[email protected]

jeffcoslacker wrote:
> It not an option to just skip the A/C pulley with a shorter belt?
>
> I think you have to remove a seal and evacuate the system to replace
> that bearing. And you'll need a GM A/C clutch tool, if it's like I'm
> thinking.
>
> If nothing else, throw a junkyard compressor ($30?) on it and go.
> That's what I paid for the last radial R134 compressor I bought
> salvage, off a '96 Sonoma...

nope. just one belt size available and looking at the configuration,
i can see how a shorter belt wouldnt work.
i hope its just the hub, then a snap ring, then the pulley. if it
gets more complicated than that, i dont think i'll be able to handle
it. i'm a low skill level backyard mechanic and looking at the mass of
pipes and fittings worries me. but, i can see using a junkyard
compressor at least as a dummy pulley might work to get me where i need
to be. then i'll have plenty of time to do it right. good suggestion
thanks.

Old September 9th 06, 01:32 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
aarcuda69062

In article
. com>,
wrote:

> lets see. 95 GMC vandura 3500 w/ 454 engine. problem: i think my air
> conditioner compressor pulley bearing is going bad. its making a fairly
> loud metallic whirring noise with the engine running and feels like its
> not lubricated when i spin it by hand altho it spins freely.
> i saw a exploded view of a compressor unit that had a nut holding
> the clutch hub on. mine doesnt have a nut, but i do see a "key" in
> there.
> i have a few questions i'd really appreciate the answers to:
> (1) can i pull the hub off with a gear puller? is that how its
> designed, just pressed on or should there be a nut there and its
> missing?
>
> (2) are there any internet sites where i might find an exploded view
> of my air conditioning compressor?
>
> (3) i'm not averse to just pulling the entire compressor assembly out
> and replacing it with a "dummy" pulley. sorry, i dont know the proper
> name. i assume such an item is available. is a dummy pulley a standard
> item i can find at autoparts stores? i dont think i'm ready to try
> to replace the compressor at this time. i need to be on the road soon
> and will have more time later.
>
> btw, i'm rather surprised "they" design a car that cant opperate just
> because an air conditioning part broke.
>
> i hope i get some replies. thanks. (and i apologize for the fake name).
> john

http://www.dormanproducts.com/cgi-bi...assdtl.p?clt=h
wrap1&sid=0x016e6816&tid=73919&rid=0x003cc98e
Old September 9th 06, 03:26 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
[email protected]

aarcuda69062 wrote:
> http://www.dormanproducts.com/cgi-bi...assdtl.p?clt=h
> wrap1&sid=0x016e6816&tid=73919&rid=0x003cc98e

sorry, i couldnt open your link. thank you and jeff for your replies. i
have since found out that the substitute pulley is called a bypass
pulley and apparently readily available. this should solve my problem
until i get to where i have more time to fix it properly. j.

Old September 9th 06, 03:55 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve W.[_2_]

wrote:
> lets see. 95 GMC vandura 3500 w/ 454 engine. problem: i think my air
> conditioner compressor pulley bearing is going bad. its making a fairly
> loud metallic whirring noise with the engine running and feels like its
> not lubricated when i spin it by hand altho it spins freely.
> i saw a exploded view of a compressor unit that had a nut holding
> the clutch hub on. mine doesnt have a nut, but i do see a "key" in
> there.
> i have a few questions i'd really appreciate the answers to:
> (1) can i pull the hub off with a gear puller? is that how its
> designed, just pressed on or should there be a nut there and its
> missing?
>
> (2) are there any internet sites where i might find an exploded view
> of my air conditioning compressor?
>
> (3) i'm not averse to just pulling the entire compressor assembly out
> and replacing it with a "dummy" pulley. sorry, i dont know the proper
> name. i assume such an item is available. is a dummy pulley a standard
> item i can find at autoparts stores? i dont think i'm ready to try
> to replace the compressor at this time. i need to be on the road soon
> and will have more time later.
>
> btw, i'm rather surprised "they" design a car that cant opperate just
> because an air conditioning part broke.
>
> i hope i get some replies. thanks. (and i apologize for the fake name).
> john

Factory book shows a nut,

Remove nut, then use a special puller to remove the clutch plate and
hub. Then use another puller to remove bearing and rotor. Then you press
out the old bearing. Press in the new one and stake it in place. Then
use an installer and put the bearing and hub back in. Reinstall hub and
nut. Recharge and enjoy.

Personally I would replace the compressor with a good used one. If not
get the idler pulley and bracket assembly off a vehicle without A/C.

Oh and FYI There are a LOT of vehicles out there that operate the same way.

--
Steve W.
Near Cooperstown, New York