How can I tell if my Labidochromis caeruleus has a mouthfull of eggs?

Old March 9th 04, 03:08 PM
Sean

Default How can I tell if my Labidochromis caeruleus has a mouthfull of eggs?

It appears that my female Labidochromis caeruleus has a mouthful of eggs.
She is staying in one area of the tank, eating very little, and, her mouth
appears to be "wrinkled". I am guessing she is holding eggs, not sure how
long she has been doing so. At what point, if ever should I consider
stripping them? And how do you strip them?

I have had some success with Melanochromis auratus having babies, although I
only have a couple that survive. I looked in my tank one day and I had an
extra one. After a routine water change and rock rearrangement, I noticed I
had a couple of very small babies as well. Other then that, I have not been
successful with any other babies in my tank.

Old March 9th 04, 04:46 PM
Rick

"Sean"
[email protected] orishavirus.comcast.net
wrote in message ...
It appears that my female Labidochromis caeruleus has a mouthful of eggs.
She is staying in one area of the tank, eating very little, and, her mouth
appears to be "wrinkled". I am guessing she is holding eggs, not sure how
long she has been doing so. At what point, if ever should I consider
stripping them? And how do you strip them?

I have had some success with Melanochromis auratus having babies, although

only have a couple that survive. I looked in my tank one day and I had an
extra one. After a routine water change and rock rearrangement, I noticed

had a couple of very small babies as well. Other then that, I have not

been
successful with any other babies in my tank.

L. caeruleus will hold for a considerable period of time. My last two
females which I put in separate 10g tanks did not release for almost 40 days
so don't be in too much of a hurry to strip her. She will get very full in
the throat area as the fry grow. They do not provide brood care so I would
leave her for maybe 3 weeks prior to stripping. When I strip my labs I
simply fill a small pail with tank water, net the fish and while holding the
fish gently in the net while the water open her mouth and the fry normally
simply fall out. Rinsing the mouth cavity with a eyedropper or similar item
will remove any that might still be in the mouth. If you leave just one fry
in her mouth she will continue to hold for the full period.

Rick